IGNORED

Chained!!!

coy55boy

I've been struggling with a problem in my head and hope that some of you with experience pulling a trailer can help me.

I understand the reasoning behind safety chains when towing a trailer with a car or truck. If the coupler slips off the ball, the tongue will be caught by the crossed chains and when the tow vehicle brakes are set, the trailers inertia will force the tongue under the bumper to the extent the chains allow before the braking will affect the forward momentum of the trailer.

I had that happen one time when towing a U-haul across Texas over black ice. Take my word for it...that was a scary situation. Fortunately, I didn't have to change my shorts when all the excitement was over. They had mysteriously disappeared!

Now to my struggle. In my mind's eye, I'm trying to picture exactly what would happen in a similar situation on a bike. It's not such a pretty thing. It seems to me that once brakes are applied on the bike, the tongue will move forward under the momentum of the trailer until the forward edge of the coupler makes contact with the rear tire. It would seem that when that contact occurs, the tire would pick up the tongue and force it into the bottom of the rear fender...repeatedly. Or worse, if there was enough force, it might even raise the back tire sufficiently to lose traction. It might even cause a vertical jack-knife.

Now, I want to do some MC camping this fall and I'm committed to pulling this trailer. You can bet that I will check, double-check and recheck at every stop to make sure all is well. But, can anyone dispel my worst case scenarios?

The main purpose for chains is to keep the trailer from going anywhere and everywhere, especially into on coming traffic. Yes, when you apply the brakes the trailer is going to do just as you explained. So, the best thing to do is not panic and slam the brakes on, coast to a stop if possible. Not panicing is a hard thing to do though. :confused24:

C.R.

I "lost" my camper last year when i went over a very rough railroad track. Now saying that....first it wasnt coupled correctly (locking pin not in or down) and thats why it went...secondly I was not going very fast....15 mph or so maybe.

My chains were apparently too long because when the trailer unhooked it slammed to the ground then came forward then backward then a little side to side. All the while the tongue basically slid on the ground.

Marilyn was yelling in the cb that I lost the trailer....I didnt need to let her know that I really knew that.

I slowly stopped and all was well.

It was a little exciting and I wouldnt want that at speed.

I would say this event is very rare indeed....make sure you connect it properly and do it yourself or at least check it thoroughly yourself after someone else connects it for you. I didnt. Poor Marilyn....it took along time for her to forgive herself for doing it wrong.....or maybe she was upset cause I didnt crash and burn@@ hmmmmm lol

Sooner or later it may happen,,, we tend to be an erring people and so make mistakes,,, hence the chains.

So my theory: Hook the chains as sort as possible,,, so that the trailer can come around at a 90 degree angle. This is not something you judge by looking at it but actually performing. You will be surprised how short they can really be. If you can get then short enough and depending on the 'coming off situation', your trailer may not hit the ground or your tire.

The main purpose for chains is to keep the trailer from going anywhere and everywhere, especially into on coming traffic.

Due to the concern of the trailer dragging or catching on something and causing you to wreck, I know of a couple riders that use those pretty chains you see in the waiting line at the bank.:scratchchin:

Shiny black plastic, never rusts, looks good to the cops, and should break and get that trailer way from the bike if it came unhooked.:confused24:

I always ran steel crossed chains, but always made sure it was coupled well. Make sure the under ball catch is under the ball, not on top, and check it often.

The chains are not to protect you, they're protect everyone else on the roadway from your runaway trailer.

If you're not willing to accept the dangers and full responsibilities of towing a trailer, please don't.

"Sooner or later it may happen,,, we tend to be an erring people and so make mistakes,,, hence the chains.

So my theory: Hook the chains as sort as possible,,, so that the trailer can come around at a 90 degree angle. This is not something you judge by looking at it but actually performing. You will be surprised how short they can really be. If you can get then short enough and depending on the 'coming off situation', your trailer may not hit the ground or your tire. "

+1 on this.

A good way to relieve your concern is to do the above with an empty trailer on flat ground. Unlatch and pickup tongue and see if it will swing under the hitch and hit the rear tire. I suspect that it will not, if the chains are "twisted" to the proper length that will allow for a 90 deg turn. :detective:

The main purpose for chains is to keep the trailer from going anywhere and everywhere, especially into on coming traffic. Yes, when you apply the brakes the trailer is going to do just as you explained. So, the best thing to do is not panic and slam the brakes on, coast to a stop if possible. Not panicing is a hard thing to do though. :confused24:

C.R.

:sign yeah that:

The chains are not to protect you, they're protect everyone else on the roadway from your runaway trailer.

If you're not willing to accept the dangers and full responsibilities of towing a trailer, please don't.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I am sure you would not want to deal with a loose trailer coming off and crossing the center-line and taking out a whole family as compared to a few scratches on the back of your bike.

The scenario that you envision of the coupler getting into the tire and lifting the back of the bike is not possible. IF the coupler were to manage to get enough traction on the tire to start riding up to hit the fender, it would stop right there. IF it still managed to get enough traction on the rear tire to lift up on the fender it would be applying an equal amount of down pressure on the tire and actually give you more traction at the rear tire. I order for the trailer to lift something it has to be pushing down on something else for the leverage, that something else will be the back tire.

As mentioned above, If you are very careful in coupling the trailer to the ball, The chains are a mute point, you will never need them. The only trailer that I ever had come off was a 6,000 lb trailer on a ball rated for 6,000 lbs MAX. The ball broke going over a big bump on the highway. the chains did their job and there was no damage to the truck or trailer.

You will be towing a trailer of under 500 lbs on a ball rated for 2,000 lbs, breakage is not likely.

Again it is a matter of stay calm and stop slowly so that the trailer does not ram the tow vehicle.

Yes, I understand 'why' the chains are required. Furthermore, I agree that they are necessary. I've towed cargo trailers, boats, and recreational trailers and I always take caution during the hook-up process to make sure everything is right.

My question was really more about understanding and minimizing the danger to myself.

Thanks to all for informative and helpful answers.