IGNORED

wanted cam shaft any model

RandyR

does anyone have 1 cam shaft from a 1st gen, 2nd gen, or vmax that they're willing to donate to the cause of building a shim tool by flyinfool ?

will pay for shipping.

the cams can be bad, really need to play with the hex area between the cams where the shim tool rides.

TIA

does anyone have 1 cam shaft from a 1st gen, 2nd gen, or vmax that they're willing to donate to the cause of building a shim tool by flyinfool ?

will pay for shipping.

the cams can be bad, really need to play with the hex area between the cams where the shim tool rides.

TIA

How many you want?

Gary

I'm not a metallurgist by any definition.

1045 steel is a fairly hard steel but it can also tends to be brittle. Depending on the grain and chemical composition of the particular bar that was used this could be a factor.

1045 is one of the lower cost steels that are used in making tools. Also there is a 1045 special quality grade available.

Below is a site laying out the chemical properties. Techy stuff.

http://www.suppliersonline.com/Research/Property/result.asp?FamilyID=4&MetalID=845&Chemical=1&Physical=1&Mechanical=1

I sent out about 15 RFQ's for the shim tool and I had a recommendation that it be made out of 17-4 then oil quenched.

Probably why these little suckers cost as much as they do.

Considering how narrow they are and the geometry of them cranking down two shim buckets at once, there is a lot of stress created along the width of this tool. Pressure is transmitted to both legs on the tool as it is rotated, thus acting as a wedge driving them apart.

Gary

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/toolandcamrotated.jpg

Gary - I had one of the K&L ones I sell come back broken. The fracture appeared to have a very coarse grain structure. There was no visible sign of plastic deformation.

The part number on the tool appears to be "molded" rather than stamped or cut. I'll bet the things are die cast, and not of the best tool steel either. They appear to be blued as the dark finish wears off the ramps after just a few uses.

I used the 1045 because it is fairly hard and was easy to get and will accept case or through hardening.

I was planning to try case hardening one of the 1045 tools to see if that helps.

I also plan to cut a small radius in the corners of the hex to help relieve stress.

I can still play with the actual ramp that rides on the buckets to allow a little more cross section in the area of the hex point.

I like the 17-4 but it is not easily available for me.

I have never made anything from 17-4 so I have no idea as to whether HS or cobalt tooling would cut it or if I'd need all carbide cutting tools.

The one genuine Yamaha tool that I looked at looked to me to made from powered metal.

I have read posts somewhere about the genuine Yami tool breaking.

I know it is a lot to hope for but a complete junk head would be even better than just the cam. That way I can actually test my tool on real shim buckets and get real measurements of the forces involved.

Or maybe reinvent the tool altogether.

I know it is a lot to hope for but a complete junk head would be even better than just the cam. That way I can actually test my tool on real shim buckets and get real measurements of the forces involved.

Don't have a head, I gave them to a guy I know that collects appliances and metal to make a few bucks. Couldn't see bring myself to ever putting them back on motor after the VMax heads.

Cam will be there Thursday probably.

Gary

I have this 1983 engine torn apart, and the more I think about it I'm not going to get at rebuilding it. If you want the whole engine it is yours you would just have to come up to Two Rivers to get it. It has around 50,000 miles on it and second gear needs to be fixed.

I have this 1983 engine torn apart, and the more I think about it I'm not going to get at rebuilding it. If you want the whole engine it is yours you would just have to come up to Two Rivers to get it. It has around 50,000 miles on it and second gear needs to be fixed.

what a deal !!!

Now I just need to clear out some space in the back of my truck and figure out when I can head up there.

When I am done with it I can donate it on down the line to someone that needs it.

Think it would look silly to have a second engine mounted on my bike? :confused24:

Now I just need to clear out some space in the back of my truck and figure out when I can head up there.

When I am done with it I can donate it on down the line to someone that needs it.

Think it would look silly to have a second engine mounted on my bike? :confused24:

When you're done with it, if it winds up being parted out or scrapped, please consider sending me the shims from it for my shim kit.

It would fit in your trailer come on up with the bike. If you are interested in it send me a PM.

It's not real clear here. Do you still need a cam or not? I have a junk one not doing anything.

Thanks, but jeff has one

Jeff has a cam sent by Dingy, and is also getting a complete engine from rjg1985

I went to pick up the engine from RJG1985 to day.

We had a nice chat.

Thanks Randy.

I finally got the camshaft from Dingy.

Thanks Gary.

The PO delivered it to the wrong address. It took a few days for my neighbor to figure out to get it to me. They were trying to figure out what it was and why it was sent to them before they thought to look at the package to notice that it was not addressed to them........:doh::bang head:

From first look, there are changes that I think I can make to the tool design that will make it work better and be a lot easier to make.