IGNORED

Front end chirp?

On our way back home from a Mississippi river ride a week ago, we rode in moderate rain for 4 hours. I pressure washed the junk off of it today and went for a ride. After about 10 minutes of riding in town , something in the front started to chirp like a bird. Rode about 10 miles ate lunch and went back home. I sprayed some WD40 on the front axle and no more chirp. I can't see where that should have done anything.

Now it kinda bothers me. I'm wondering if it's something I need to be worried about?

Thanks for the help,

Bwhite

2000 RSV

You may want to remove the front wheel and check to see if the pressure washing forced water in past the bearing seals. If so re grease the bearings. Check the calipers to see if they are hanging also.

Edited by BuddyRich

You may want to remove the front wheel and check to see if the pressure washing forced water in paste the bearing seals. If so re grease the bearings. Check the calipers to see if they are hanging also.

I thought they are sealed bearings (non re-greasable) ??

Mine are, but may be a good idea to pull your axle and put a light coat of greese on it, in case you have the inner race of the bearing spinning or trying to spin on the axle. that shouldn`t happen, but never know.

Might be, I haven't had the front wheel off in a long time. I might be thinking of my old Nomad. I remember getting water in the bearing from a pressure washer on it. Had to replace the bearings they got eaten up so bad.

I don't like those pressure washers. If the noise went away quickly and hasn't returned after the bike has been dry for a few days, then it must've been something related to the washing. I've only heard a couple of dying wheel bearings, both on cars, and for sure there was no mistaking that something was very wrong.

The bearings on these bikes are sealed but it probably is possible to force some water past the seals. I had a rear wheel bearing on a VTX go out, but the only way I knew it was when the wheel was off for a new tire, I stuck my finger into the race and turned it by hand, and felt the crunchiness of it. Rideing it, it made no sound at all and the wheel turned freely while mounted on the bike.

Pulled the front tire today and the rubber seals have cracks. Going to replace seals and also bearings. How difficult is it to pull the bearings? Where is a place online to order these parts for a 2000 rsv?

I reaaly appreciate all the help this site provides.

Thanks to all,

Bwhite

Dust seals and bearings aren't very expensive from the dealer. Probably best to buy there, though some get exact fit bearings from other sources at slightly cheaper prices.

The old bearings have to be tapped out, and the new ones tapped back in. If you've never done this before, probably best to leave it to a mechanic. If you make a mistake you could ruin your new bearings, or even bung up a $300 wheel.

However if you want to do it yourself, you'll need a brass drift about 12" or more long. Also a good hammer. You tap each bearing out from the opposite side. The first one is the dice-iest because you've got that spacer in between the bearings that kind of gets in the way. You catch the edge of the bearing with the drift and tap good and hard on it, then work your way around the circumference of the bearing case. Avoid moving it too far on one side or it might bind. It's a very tight fit. The other bearing will prob come out a little easier once you get that spacer out of the way.

Some put new berings into a freezer for a few hours. Shrinks them up enough to make installation easier. I've tried it both ways, can't tell a lot of difference. You'll need a tool that addresses the bearing case on the outer rim. Never bang on the inner race or the bearing will be ruined. Tap it all the way in, nice and even, until it seats. You'll know from the sound of the tap when it seats in the wheel.

I've only done this a couple of times and decided it is too hair raising for me, so from now on I take the whole shebang into the dealer shop and let a pro do it for me.

Thanks for the instructions. I ordered new seals and bearings from the local dealer today, $59. I have a friend that works on bikes so he said he'll help change them out.

I thank all for the help.

Bwhite