IGNORED

Question Regarding Model Changes

Guest aogop

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering trading in my DL1000 V-strom to purchase a Venture so my wife can go on trips with me. I saw one this last weekend at the Seattle International Motorcycle Show, was *very* interested but had some questions the sales people weren't too keen on asking. Can't really say I blame them, but I was wondering if your group would mind answering a few of the questions they didn't have an answer for..

1. Has there been any significant changes to the Venture for the past 4 years?

2. What is the most common problem with this model, and what is the usual fix?

3. How much additional current is available for items such as heated clothing, GPS etc.?

4. If there was one thing you wish you could do to improve the Venture what would it be?

Lastly, this would be an every-day rider (well ok 9-10 months out of the year). Any big maintenance issues to be concerned about outside routine maintenance?

Thanks for your time. It's basically a toss-up between this bike and a Gold Wing.

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering trading in my DL1000 V-strom to purchase a Venture so my wife can go on trips with me. I saw one this last weekend at the Seattle International Motorcycle Show, was *very* interested but had some questions the sales people weren't too keen on asking. Can't really say I blame them, but I was wondering if your group would mind answering a few of the questions they didn't have an answer for..

1. Has there been any significant changes to the Venture for the past 4 years?

Paint color - that's about it since '99.

2. What is the most common problem with this model, and what is the usual fix?

Functionally, they are pretty flawless. Some bikes will develope an irritating whine in the clutch and/or rear end. A change out to a different clutch basket or a new rear end usually takes care of it. This is usually covered under warranty.

3. How much additional current is available for items such as heated clothing, GPS etc.?

Not a whole lot. I run pretty full out (running lights, gps, stereo, heated jacket liner, heated gloves) and still stay in the positive charging. However, if I added heated pants, it might be trouble. The bike has carb heaters on it. When it is cold, they chew up a lot of power.

There are some folks that have developed a higher output stator that is undergoing tests. Looks promising. Also, changing out lights to LEDs leaves a lot more power available for toys.

4. If there was one thing you wish you could do to improve the Venture what would it be?

Fuel Injection and ABS.

Lastly, this would be an every-day rider (well ok 9-10 months out of the year). Any big maintenance issues to be concerned about outside routine maintenance?

Nope. Pretty bullet proof. It is a very comfortable ride that looks great. This family is more than willing to help with anything you need - from maintenance issues to farkles.

Thanks for your time. It's basically a toss-up between this bike and a Gold Wing.

Both the Wing and the Venture will provide thousands of miles of reliable, comfortable service. However, here are a couple of positive points of the Venture:

1) Passenger seat/area is more spacious and comfortable on the Venture.

2) More safety chrome on the Venture.

3) You get people providing you compliments on the good looks of a Venture. The wing is a nice looking bike, but no one compliments a good looking Taurus (everyone has one).

4) If you like to do your own wrenching, the Venture is pretty easy to work on.

5) More bike for your money.

6) 5 YEAR WARRANTY!!!

7) You will have the Ventureriders.org family to support you and provide guidance on where to spend your accessory money.

The only positives I can think of for the Wing:

1) There are more aftermarket farkles made for the Wing.

2) A bit more power.

3) Fuel injection and ABS.

4) ummmm... that's about it.

Good luck on you decision. I have been very pleased with my 2000 and have about 52,000 miles. Had a clutch relay go out (replaced under warranty) and replaced the clutch. Other than that, fluid changes, brakes, tires, a battery, and riding it like I stole it.

The Venture is a fantastic motorcycle. Welcome to the family.

RR

I will try to answer the ones I know.

I have been riding the Royal Star line of motorcycles for nearly 10 years and have over 110000 miles on them with no major breakdowns or mechanical problems. Never regretted buying either my 98 Royal or my 07 Venture. Except for the fact that I had to get rid of my 98 with 96,000 miles on her to buy the 07.

You asked

1. Has there been any significant changes to the Venture for the past 4 years? No no major changes since the first model was introduced in 1999.

2. What is the most common problem with this model, and what is the usual fix? Gear whine and/or "chirp" at certain rpm ranges. Sometime fixed by changing clutch basket. Some folks fiind it more objectional than others. I road an original Royal Star, (similar in mechanical set up) for 9 years and 96,000 miles before purchasing an 07 Venture and have not been bothered by it on either bike.

3. How much additional current is available for items such as heated clothing, GPS etc.? Not sure of the exact number , but many folks have added aditional lights, heated gear, GPS, and other electrical options with no problems.

4. If there was one thing you wish you could do to improve the Venture what would it be? Change the transmission gearing or final drive gear ratio to make it a bit more responsive at lower speeds in the higher gears. But being aware that 4th and 5th are overdrive gears and knowing that the power band is in the 3000 to 6000 rpm range and not being afraid to wind her up you can overcome this issue. Additionally for some money you can put in a final drive from a V-Max and many have reported that makes all the difference.

Lastly, this would be an every-day rider (well ok 9-10 months out of the year). Any big maintenance issues to be concerned about outside routine maintenance? No big issues to be concerned about, regular oil and filter changes as well as rear end fluid changes and you are good to go. One thing to remember; this bike has a 5 year unlimited miles warrenty from the factory and you can purchase an additional 2 years extended warrenty if you like at time of purchase. No other manufacturer offers that kind of coverage, not even Honda on the Wing.

Good luck with what ever you you decide, but there are some former Wingers on this site, so that should tell you something.

Don't let them paint such a rosy picture for you. There are some downsides...First on cold snowy or rainy days you really start to go through withdrawls. You will name your bike and talk about her like she's a real person (but why not, she's always there for you and just whines a little). You get addicted to this website.

Just a few of the many problems you may have.

Guest MotorCycleRadio

If you go to the bottom of the page and plug in the GoldWing info you can do a comparison: http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=24246

I owned GoldWings back in 1976-1982, but they were a whole different bike back then. I did consider one this time but decided I like a motorcycle that LOOKS like a motorcycle. Plus the extra weight of a Wing just might make a difference on a soft shoulder. I was very pleasantly suprised at the agility of the Venture and yet the ride is still quite insulated from the bumps. My wife loves the comfortable seat! We are in our middle 60's.

If you go to the bottom of the page and plug in the GoldWing info you can do a comparison: http://www.bikez.com/bike/rating.php?idbike=24246

.............................................................................................

I guess MamaYama is afraid of killing their 2nd gen sales,

they don't even show the '86 1st gen in the comparison list! :witch_brew: (C'mon Redneck!)

Welcome to our site and our family, aogop!

:YELLOW:

I've had two Ventures, a 99 and an 06. The only difference in the two bikes was the color, the tank badges and the rpm at which I experienced the whine/chirp. 99 was real bad but corrected with a new clutch basket. 06 was noticeable but not annoying so never did anything about it. Both rode the same and performed equally well. After losing my 99 to Katrina I looked at all the toruing bikes. But I came back to the Venture for two reasons; First was price. Compared to all the other bikes the Venture was the best equipped for the least money, and it had the 5 year warranty. Second, the Venture looks like a motorcycle and I really liked the way it rode. On a long ride I don't think it can be beat for comfort. Everything just fit me. No, it's not the most agile of the touring bikes. It IS top heavy at slow speeds and won't carve twisties quite as good as a Wing or BMW. but the bike is so reliable and so comfortable.

My suggestion to you is find dealers who will let you test ride the two bikes. The Wing is an awesome machine with some great features the Venture doesn't have. But, as I said before the Venture LOOKS and SOUNDS like a motorcycle. It is rock solid reliable and easy to maintain. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face everytime you ride it.

Don't let them paint such a rosy picture for you. There are some downsides...First on cold snowy or rainy days you really start to go through withdrawls. You will name your bike and talk about her like she's a real person (but why not, she's always there for you and just whines a little). You get addicted to this website.

Just a few of the many problems you may have.

Perfect description.

Ron:rotf:

Guest cyote61

Dang, wish I would copy this off and not have to rewrite it all the time. I'll keep it short this time.

Wing and or Venture??????? that is the question:whistling:

I've owned two wings. My last one was an 05.

I still own an 03 Valkyrie but that is a horse of a differnt color.

I have owned a 97 Royal Star Tour Classic now called the Tour Deluxe

I now own a 2007 Royal Star Venture.

Each bike has its good points and a few bad ones. But, the Venture rides better, sounds better, looks better and has 200% better seating position. And the seat is better than anything thats made if you get a standard pillow top. You can work on a Venture without having to remove two hours worth of plastic to find anything!!!!!!!!Huge item here. It will also carry a heavier load than the wing. You would think that you would find a big performance difference in the 1800 cc wing than in the 1300cc Venture. Sorry, not a hell of a lot and thats due to the high torque of the Venture V-4. I ride with a lot of wing owners and I can tell you that there has never been a wing run away from me on a days ride. He might get a hundred yards ahead but no more.

Just don't mess with me if your on a wing or Venture and I'm on my Valkyrie :rotf:OK that's my story and I'm stickin to it:whistling: Now go do the right thing and buy yourself a Venture and you'll never look back. Well-------maybe look back just to see where the last Harley you passed is?

The Above says pretty much it. SO Welcome to the site take your time and read through, and jump in anytime.

I had a 86 an then upgraded to the 99, Liked them both but I guess I will have to say it is the people that keep me here.

Best of luck on your Decision.

BRad