IGNORED

Metzler 180/70hr-15 Stage 1 upgrade

Smilerider

It is time to replace my rear tire. AS I have been looking around and planning to purchase a Metzler, I noticed there is a "stage 1" upgrade for RSV that changes the size of the tire to a Metzler 180/70hr-15. It states this goes on the same rim..... Is this true? Has anyone actually done this?? If you have done this does it make any difference good or bad? Any input would be greatly appreciated here as the tire needs to be replaced very soon.

Thanks JM

I have no personal experience with this upgrade, but, with a wider tire you have to make sur there are not any bolts inside the fender that can cut the tire. A trailer hitch could also be a problem with a 180 tire. Isn't that the same size goldwings run on the rear?

My Honda ran a 150 and I went to a 180 rear and liked the change.

JM,

It can be done, I have seen an '07 RSV with that tire on the rear of the bike. I will caution you that the Metzler 880 has a bad track record of throwing rubber chunks off. Obviously pay close attention to the clearances should you install one and your going to have to keep the tire pressure maxed out so you dont get any bulging of the sidewalls as they could rub.

Personally I will never never buy a Metzeler product. Their tires are way too poorly made and dangerous for me (documented very well on this site in many many threads), so making such a decision would simply defy logic with the other choices available. Some people continue to maintain those tires are wonderful, and they have the same right to love them that I do to hate them - I just point to the ample evidence to support my opinion. Furthermore, I would not knowingly do business with any company that insists that 100% of their customers who have problems with their products are fools, idiots, and liars. But each of us gets to spend our money with whomever we want.

But as for the size upgrade - about 50% of the people I have heard of who tried this with Metzeler tires on a 2nd gen have had problems with bad rubbing on the drive shaft housing, including one who bought the tire and had it mounted by Metzeler at a rally - his tire rubbed so bad he had to go back and force them to exchange it for a tire of the correct size (only possible because THEY told him it would work in the first place). I do not know why only some of them rub - maybe it is the same shoddy manufacturing that allows huge chunks of the tread to fly off?

Goose

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure that it was something I was going to do, but thought I would inquire and see what others thought. I had also heard of the concerns with the M880 and have been told by Metzler they have made changes to the tires compound to prevent this. I hope they were honest. I currently have a E3 on the bike and love the way it has lasted and the way it handles on DRY pavement. However on my first trip last year with the E3 I hydroplaned all over the place.. Over the last 10,000 miles I have run into the same continuous issue during wet weather riding... It isn't even an issue with speed, but the bike would slide in turns, and even as of yesterday, taking a turn onto 87south in Lake George, the back of the bike slid out.. It is and was the first time I ever thought I was actually going down.... My buddy behind me pulled up next to me and said "I can't believe you didn't go".. The front of the bike held true, and seems to handle the water just fine. Since that is a M880 I thought I would try the rear..

JM,

Goose brings up good points, he and I dont always agree but I value his judgment as he has time to test products out more than I. The one bike I mentioned didn't have a rubbing issue, but that could have just been a fluke of luck. Now something Goose and I agree upon is Avon Venom tires, I love them and although some folks have had isolated incidents on sidewall cracks, I have never had issues with them. If your looking to get out of the E3's due to your wet handling experience I would definitely recommend you try the Avons :2cents:

I too am a fan of the Avons. Now, the ones are my bike are about 2 years old and I haven't gotten to ride much the past two years due to health issues and they probably have less than 6 thousand miles on them. The sidewalls are cracked on the front and rear to the point that I don't trust them for any significant trips.

Still, I am so impressed with the way they handle that I ordered another set of Avons earlier this week. I ordered them from Jake Wilson and should be here on Tuesday. I almost went with the E3 but I've heard too many reports that they are a little noisy. Avon claims that they have resolved the cracking issue so we'll see. The fact is though, if I had been able to ride like I used to, I would have worn them out before the cracking issue became a problem.

On the bike Squid quoted, at the same time that tire was installed, they tried it on at least one other Vennture and it rubbed the driveshaft housing. Nobody seems to know why it doesn't rub on this one, but there isn't much clearance.

I would try the 170-80-15 in a Venom (if they make it). I have run three sets of ME880's with no problems, but there's too many on this website who have had chunks come off of their 880's for me to try them again.

On the rear...

I got about 7k out of the stock brickstone.

I got between 14k and 15k out of 3 ME880s 150 wide.

I pulled the first Venom off at 16k with a couple k left in them due to a long trip

I've got 16k on this one and it has a 1 or 2k left as well, but will come off early for the Cody trip if I can make it.

The ME880's get scalloped and real noisy in the corners after about 10k, the Venoms are just starting to make a little noise.

I've had such good luck with the Venoms, I can't see a reason to try the Dunlop E3's so many like on here.

If you get the Venom AM42 for the rear, be sure to get the 80H load range, you've got a big bike here.

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob