IGNORED

VentureRider.org vs. StarTouring.org

halfwitt

When I bought my 07 RSV in August, I received a one year membership to Star Touring. I have been all over their website and see absolutely nothing there that is worth paying annual dues for. I would rather make a donation here every year. There is no star touring chapter near me. I know I get unbiased opinions here. Not so sure about an "official" site. Does anyone have any good reason (aside from a cool pin) why one would want to pay a fee to be a member of Star Touring?

I have met several Star Touring members by way of Patriot Guard Missions. My problem with that particular organization is that they restrict what you can wear on your riding vest once you put their back patch on.

Liked all the members I have met but I don't let anyone tell me what I can or cannot put on my riding vest.

When I bought my 07 RSV in August, I received a one year membership to Star Touring. I have been all over their website and see absolutely nothing there that is worth paying annual dues for. I would rather make a donation here every year. There is no star touring chapter near me. I know I get unbiased opinions here. Not so sure about an "official" site. Does anyone have any good reason (aside from a cool pin) why one would want to pay a fee to be a member of Star Touring?

I was a member for 3 years prior to getting my RSV. I am not a fan of group rides and long meetings, which seemed to be what the local chapter was about. Also, found absolutely NO benefit to their web presence. You have to keep in mind that STAR is a Yamaha backed/endorsed organization. So it seems to me to be very biased. I really think all it does is put money in Alan Cease's, the founder, pocket.

I remember once posting that anyone interested in being involved in an online NASCAR league to let me know as I run one every year. Hit send and had 3 emails from moderators before I could get back from the coffee pot. Needless to say that was the last time I was ever on their site.

Okay enough ranting, because I could go on and on. I have nothing against anyone that gets into it, but its not for me.

I for one love Star Touring, as far as the vest, I have 2 one for official Star Events and one that I wear otherwise, I enjoy the family atmosphere and the guidelines for the rides, I am biased to the group a little due to the fact that I have a really good chapter that all get along and enjoy getting together and having fun...I also enjoy the discount at the dealership, plus the roadside assistance which covers the bike and or the trailer that the bike is on if something happens on the rode, you also have to remember that unless you want to be in a chapter you do not have to wear any of the patches.

I for one love Star Touring, as far as the vest, I have 2 one for official Star Events and one that I wear otherwise, I enjoy the family atmosphere and the guidelines for the rides, I am biased to the group a little due to the fact that I have a really good chapter that all get along and enjoy getting together and having fun...I also enjoy the discount at the dealership, plus the roadside assistance which covers the bike and or the trailer that the bike is on if something happens on the rode, you also have to remember that unless you want to be in a chapter you do not have to wear any of the patches.

I am glad you enjoy it. I'm sorry, I should have kept my opinion to myself. Please do not take offense. As I said I am glad for those that do participate and get something from it. Quite frankly I never planned to particpate here as much as I do, but darn it this place is addictive. :2133:

Hey firewalker don't take my post as being negative towards any Star Riders. I surely did not mean it to come across that way!

Regardless of Club affiliation/brand of motorcycle I always respect other riders.....keeping in mind that respect is a two way street IMHO.

No disrespect meant!

Regards......Boomer....who will now go lay down by his dish and be quiet for a while.

I must admit I have nothing bad to say about Star members or on how they want to run thier membership or forum.

The few Star rider members that I have met were very polite and very respectful towards me when I told them I belong to VR.Org.

Not one Star rider has ever offended me.

I understand that Star rider rules are different than VR.Org rules indeed, but that is what makes them different from us.

VR members and the web site is run different than thiers and that my friend is what makes us who we are.

I choose to be a VR member because of the great people I have met and bonded with here and not because VR.Org is a free site. Oh believe me, I am very thankful it is and I do what I can to make the site grow and provide my offerings of support to the members and site.

I can be honest and say IF for some reason, VR.Org had to begin charging a fee for me to remain a member, I would indeed pay that fee because I enjoy the friendships I have, and the others I look forward to down the road.

The members of Star, I am sure, feel they too have a bond and really dont mind paying a fee to remain as a Star member.

Im sure they have reasons for what they do and how they do it.

They too have met people and became friends such as we have.

They pay to remain a member ...and so what..we dont

They are very respectful people....such as everyone here is...

They are welcome to ride with me anytime.

Im sure I would be welcome to ride with them anytime.

They have certain rules they are "expected" to abide by just as we are "expected" to abide by the rules of VR.Org.

(like posting pictures of our bikes....:whistling:)

So, lets go ride, be friends and have an ice cream!!!!! :thumbsup2:

I never take offense when I read negatives about Star everyone has their own opinion and that was all I did when I posted, I have had bad experiences on the 2 venture forums also but I am still here, as far as the Star Touring website, I hardly ever go to that site, I go to the one for my chapter and periodically visit the international site but not often, I really am in the group because my Dad is and the chapter I am with is really a good one and we like to ride, but even if my chapter were to fall apart and no longer exist I would stay with Star and just remove the patches from my vest, still like some of the other perks from it.

I am a proud member of VR and also The Venturers site, but am also a proud member of Star Touring with Chapter 242 in Central Illinois.

It happens that the local group I found and ride with is mostly affiliated with Star. We work closely with our local dealership for chapter events and they give us a discount.

I look forward to riding in some VR and V events this coming year, in fact, our Star group was at the Illinois ride-in with the Venturers earlier this year and were welcomed into their evening event!

I don't see a reason why all three can't get along. The rules on the vest with Star (as I understand it, I may be wrong) have to do more with the outlaw bikers and how they get all upset with certain back patch placement etc. I probably will just get a second vest to use on other events and with things like the Patriot Guard.

I have met several Star Touring members by way of Patriot Guard Missions. My problem with that particular organization is that they restrict what you can wear on your riding vest once you put their back patch on.

Liked all the members I have met but I don't let anyone tell me what I can or cannot put on my riding vest.

DOES ANYONE MAKE PATCH FOR THE VENTURE RIDER I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A COUPLE

TOMTOM7

I am a member of the Tucson chapter (and ride with Alan). I am a member this year because Yamaha paid for it. Next year I'm not so sure I'll re up. They will let anyone with any bike join up. Not just Star and not just Yamaha even. You can ride up to three times with the group while deciding to join or not. I would advise anyone even remotely interested in group rides and close enough to a chapter give it a try.

It is a friendly bunch and we usually ride a couple of times a month. They have sure helped me get out and get the mileage up. I have had no issues with what I decide to wear on my vest but it is a family group (like this one) and I haven’t seen any real crude patches. My biggest problem with the group is they meet on the other side of town in the early evening. It takes a long time to get across town during our version of rush hour.

The group riding, that always involves food somewhere, for the most part has been fun and I have been shown some new roads (and restaurants) I never realized existed. There is an occasional issue with someone riding too close and I am afraid if someone has to swerve around something they will take down a bunch of bikes.

Jerry

Interesting. I really enjoy this site and the great information it provides. Scares me sometimes since I'm very happy with my '07 Venture....but now I'm starting to LOOK for things to go wrong. BUT...I also got a free membership in the Star Riders.....haven't used it yet but guess I should. Hope they don't MAKE you buy a vest. I have too many now!

Guest KitCarson

Unfortunately we do not have a Star Touring Chapter anywhere close......or do not think we do. Hey I am all for them, They promote safety, and project a good public image of bikes and riders. So they regulate what some wear on a vest........I think they should!! Some things related to outlaw biker stuff, maybe should not be worn.......and stuff like bull balls hanging from the back fender of a bike........does not offend me as I have a lifetime of experience with bikes and riders.......but we are all in the public eye. So if they are for a good clean ride, fun.....promote safety, and public image. Good for them!!

Me, I do not drive a Star, I drive a Yamaha! NEway, um what was I gonna say? Oh yea, VR.org has rules???? Either we a bunch of good guys or we just don't break em!

I don't and won't do that other Venture site. Had my fill of em and canceled my membership 'bout half way through the fee period.

Came here and dug it as soon as I walked in and still do!

:bighug:

I have a free membership with the RSV I now ride and have had a free membership when I bought a '96 Royal Star. There are no chapters anywhere near me, so I was never really involved with them. I found this site and don't use the Star site. So.......I can't really say anything about how they run their business, I have not found a a reason to look past VenrureRider.org.

i would like to join the star group but they won't let me , i don't own a star :rotfl:i ride a Yamaha :rasberry: :rotfl::rotfl::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: plus i like it here , its addictive

Starriders doesn't care what brand of motorcycle you ride. My chapter141 in Tulsa has all kinds of bikes. They must of told you that because they just don't like you!:rotf::stirthepot: