IGNORED

Ignition noise through IC

I've recently started to get a ticking noise through my Headset. The noise is directly related to engine revs so I believe its caused by the ignition system. On old vehicles we used to install chokes (capacitors) to eliminate this.

Because this has only just started to happen on my 2007 RSV which I have had since new maybe this choke or whatever the bike uses has broken down. Could anyone advise me as to where this type of device or any other device that the bike uses for ignition noise supression is loacated:(

Thanks

I had the same problem, try this with the bike running and your headset pluged in turn the wheel to the right, then the left if it gets louder to the right, the coax running under the left side of bike,under your gas tank is picking up noise. Try moving the coax ,and if all else fails insulate the coax or replace it. :fingers-crossed-emo

It is the wire position, guaranteed. There is no point in trying to ad any chokes or condensers to this bike like was done with cars back in the 70s, they just are not needed.

Move the spark plug leads for the front cylinders, particularly the left front.

goose

I was responding to both. Despite the OP's insistence that he already moved every cable every way possible, the problem IS, in fact, cable position. I don't often get so 'positive' about a specific problem without being able to actually touch the bike in question, 'cause it is way too easy to get fooled by the way people describe things. But nevertheless, I know this bike too well to just ignore this problem and let the owner suffer unless he wants to do so. Of course the owner is free to just spend his time or money looking for other things, and I hope he finds it that way. But he won't. The problem is cable position.

And I know he has heard me now, so I'll back out of this thread and not respond anymore unless he asks me directly.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and he gets it fixed quickly and easily no mater what it is!

Goose

• 7 months later...

Well I had a simular problem. I never had noise before, today we did. I was really scratching my head. I had put the piece of rubber over the mic to try to cut donw on the background noise (actually I used a piece of a rubber glove) It didnt seem to do anything other than make me turn up IC volume more. But I gaind this tick today. Well just went out and started bike and plugged in. Noise was there, while running I moved the IC cable I guess comming in from bike towards fairing. Moved and all of a sudden, noise is gone. I thought about tie wraping the cable but I dont want anything to bind up the cables while turning. Only thing I can think of is I had to take the risers off the other night to add something (support for fairing) and most have caused the cables to move.

Thanks Goose. Do you supose you could go to DC and fix that too? :)

Nope. Didnt change a thing. All I did was start the bike and on the right hand side where the cables and the IC cable runs into the fairing, I moved individual wires one way or another and interfearence stopped. Like I said I thought about tie wraping the cable but I dont want to restrict the movement of the cables when turning. I'm going to leave it for now, but if it comes back I'll look into tie wraping it .

I've recently started to get a ticking noise through my Headset. The noise is directly related to engine revs so I believe its caused by the ignition system. On old vehicles we used to install chokes (capacitors) to eliminate this.

Because this has only just started to happen on my 2007 RSV which I have had since new maybe this choke or whatever the bike uses has broken down. Could anyone advise me as to where this type of device or any other device that the bike uses for ignition noise supression is loacated:(

Thanks

Try turning down the IC volume. I have an '07 RSMV and I've heard the same noise. I don't use the IC because my wife doesn't ride but some how the volume got turned up and I heard the ticking noise. I do use a headset for radio & cb. Hope this helps.

It is the wire position, guaranteed. There is no point in trying to ad any chokes or condensers to this bike like was done with cars back in the 70s, they just are not needed.

Move the spark plug leads for the front cylinders, particularly the left front.

goose

I remember a guy on here a couple of years ago that was new to the site and this particular bike having problems with his trunk lid not opening up all the way so he posted on here and a certain V7Goose told him that the hinges were bent. Well the guy responded by saying the hinges were not bent, there must be some other explanation. But after many post and being told by others on this site the same thing he did what they all said and the problem was solved. Just my experience!! Thanks Goose!!

My guess is that its how they are routed. Yea it would be nice if they shielded all them wires so it wouldnt do that but it is probably cost prohibitive. Like I posted just repositioned and all is good. Is it the best solution, probably not. Is it managable? Yup I'mm good with it.