IGNORED

Laying a bike down to change the tire

Dave77459

I suppose you could but you'd have to remove or drain the tank, pull the battery, drain the oil and probably do something about the coolant overflow. Then there is worrying about the fairings, mirrors etc.

By the time you go through the hassle you'd probably wish you'd taken it to someone with a lift or jack.

Porbably, but it will take 3 guys and a keg of beer to pick it back up!!

I think the keg of beer might have been involved with the decision to lay it over in the first place!

I suppose you could but you'd have to remove or drain the tank, pull the battery, drain the oil and probably do something about the coolant overflow. Then there is worrying about the fairings, mirrors etc.

By the time you go through the hassle you'd probably wish you'd taken it to someone with a lift or jack.

Ha ha! Good point!

The GL1800's have "crash bars" front and rear that are designed/engineered to keep the motorcycle from falling all the way down if laid down on it's side. It's held at about a 45 degree angle. It does allow the rear wheel to be removed, but the Wing rear wheel is bolted on (similar to a car's wheel studs) and that allows it to be removed when the bike is "laying down" on it's right side. Much less involved in removing/installing of the rear wheel compared to the RSV.

I've yanked rear wheels on both Goldwings and RSVs. Nope, you can't (reasonably) do it on a Venture. On the Wing, nothing has to be removed except 5 lug nuts. On the Venture you have to remove the axle, which involves removing stuff from the right and left sides. It would be so much easier with a proper lift.

Eight days ago I changed my rear wheel and tire on my 1800 Wing. Had the tire already mounted on my spare wheel. This is the third time I've done it so I know the pattern. From the time I laid it down until the time I stood it back up was a whopping 7 minutes!

:big-grin-emoticon:

But let's not talk about changing air filters! :doh:

Guest scarylarry
I've yanked rear wheels on both Goldwings and RSVs. Nope,

But let's not talk about changing air filters! :doh:

Why?:confused24:

Guest scarylarry
Ask Eck about changing the air filters, all that plastic, gas tank I believe has to come off, and whatever else that is on top of the GW air filters.

Are you talking about the 4 hrs labor...:rotf::rotf:

Serious though GW miss the boat on that one...

Everything else seems to be in line

The GL1800's have "crash bars" front and rear that are designed/engineered to keep the motorcycle from falling all the way down if laid down on it's side. It's held at about a 45 degree angle. It does allow the rear wheel to be removed, but the Wing rear wheel is bolted on (similar to a car's wheel studs) and that allows it to be removed when the bike is "laying down" on it's right side. Much less involved in removing/installing of the rear wheel compared to the RSV.

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

or buy a carbon one lift..

Here is one cheap last time one was this price lasted about 30 mins or less.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider/messages/?msg=11881.1

I have a Carbon_One lift and use it quite a lot. From changing tires to polishing chrome to changing the oil, I've found it invaluable. But I was wondering more for if I have a dead tire on the road.

Dave

here is a video showing you how to change a rear tire on a GL1800 without a jack. this is not my video, but one I found on youtube.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcGe-EcBy8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcGe-EcBy8[/ame]

I would not want to chage a rear tire on a RSV on the side of the road......but in an emegency could any of you do it?

I would not want to chage a rear tire on a RSV on the side of the road......but in an emegency could any of you do it?

Yes, I have a centerstand. Once the bike is on the centerstand, remove both bags (I have the thumbnuts), remove the mufflers, pull the axle, remove the final drive and the wheel will come out.

The video reminds me of how i used to check the tire pressure and fill the tire on my wing. It was simpler to do.

only proble m I see is not grabbing the frontt brake while picker her up.

That will keep the bike from rolling on you.

Carpets will keep the crash bars from rashing and i wouldnt start the bike up after leaning over for a long period of time. Give the fluids time to settle before you run her.

Yes, I have a centerstand. Once the bike is on the centerstand, remove both bags (I have the thumbnuts), remove the mufflers, pull the axle, remove the final drive and the wheel will come out.

Do you have to remove both mufflers?

Brian

Keep that to yerself! :no-no-no: