IGNORED

Despite Your Warnings.... I Did Bad ?

Guest Popeye

Due to my 86VR letting some rust into carbs & having a tech reline tank, redo carbs/diaphragms, tuneup, new brakes, tires, etc., etc., my Nav said she didn't trust scoot. After some rides, she became comfortable again.

Then, a throttle cable broke 55 miles from home, quick fix, but she lost faith.

Now I have chromed-out scoot with nothing to be fixed but, now that it should be a worry free ride, it has to go.

Now it's in the VR Classifieds for $4400. [$100 less than I have into it].

She insists a newer scoot is a better scoot, despite the huge expenses & new parts I put into this bike.

Even if I get a 5 yr old scoot, most of the important parts will be 5 years older than what I have now, not to mention the numerous upgrades I'll never see again.

Especially, the $2500. I spent on parts/techs, this year, doing the work to be certain it would be perfect.

Anyway, I went & did it. Then it goes to Ebay until sold.

It'll sell, but then I have to get a __?________ with all the problems that come with it....& start fixing everything....LIKE I JUST DID.

It'll cost me many needless dollars, but Mama 'must' be kept happy.

There's nothing left to fix on my scoot to make it any better, so this makes NO SENSE, to me, anyway.

I hope whoever gets it keeps in touch, with a tab of near zero maintenance for years to come.

Then I can say "Told you so."

:starz:

Sounds like you need to reconsider? You just got it up to your standards. A new one will cost much and be much work to get to the same place. It's a machine--they need fixed from time to time-- even when they are new. Then you have to fight the dealer for warranty work.

How about keeping it and buying her her own?

I sometimes regret selling my 89'VR to buy my 99' RSV. They are both fantastic bikes, I love the new one, but miss the old one.

just my oppinion-- just remember-- these old bikes are irreplaceable, and each one is uneque. (even "special" if you like it)

I must be missing something here...

In the previous thread about your situation you got a lot of feedback, the overwhelming majority of which was in support for you to keep your ride, for both practical and financial reasons.

There are no guarantees that any means of transportation, new or used, won't break down. Confidence in a machine has no influence or bearing on how it performs. Inconvenience is merely an occasional experience that inherently comes with the purchase and/or use of anything mechanical.

I must ask: did your wife read that thread? I can't imagine that if she had she would somehow still require you to put the bike up for sale because her confidence (defined as a self-determined and temporary emotional state, which, in this case, also imposes an unknown yet likely significant monetary component) is shaken, especially since you obviously don't think it's the right or reasonable thing to do!

I will now ask the others on this forum to join me in saying a little prayer for what surely needs to be a heavenly resolve to this matter...

Terry

Does your wife have the problem, or is she the scapegoat??? It's easy to pass the buck and place the blame elsewhere.. Sometimes when the goal is achieved (perfect scoot) some people just need another challenge. Good luck with whatever you end up with......:080402gudl_prv:

Popeye I would have to say you Need a new navigator.Sorry but Mini threatened my life if I sold the 83.In case you dont remember I had a problem on the way to Vogel this year.The bike did get us home even though the universal joint was worn completely through on one side.

I was ready to get a newer bike but the Boss spoke and she usually gets her way.

Just last weekend the inner wheel bearing was gone when I pulled the wheel to try and figure out a wobble and slow speed knock.

Why not try a compromise and get her to let you keep the scoot and you ride it alone for a few weeks to prove to her that the bike is sound.She just needs to be reminded that it is 21 years old and things do happen.These are excelent machines and I personally have put 90K on my 83 in the last 2 1/2 years with Little to No problems.

Good luck on what ever you choose to do just remember that you are pat of the family and we are here for you.

Jeff

The corollary to that statement is:

If she isn't reasonable, you can't be happy!

:stirthepot:

That's about it 91nwl & Blackjack.

I stuck it on eBay today, starts tomorrow at 3pm CST, since they have a free insertion fee ending today. Selling for same price.

She does see the logic from all angles, but has some kind of 'bad feeling' about keeping the scoot.

The last ride, where the throttle cable broke, was supposed to be a ride to get her confidence back.....That one blew-up-in-my-face.

Now it's a CURSE, PROBLEM, LEMON, MONEYPIT, LOSER.....

If it doesn't sell, it may work out.

If it does sell, I'll start over with who knows what.

That may, or may not work out.

It shouldn't sell. The Pics aren't great 'cause I didn't wash & buff it first.

I won't negotiate price & it's a bad time to sell.

However, she is reasonable, loves to ride, & it's a loonnng time 'till spring.

I'll just have to sweat for 7 days while its on eBay, then I have 4 months to sit-on-it.

Then look at spring prices, taxes, & maybe old scoot with all new stuff will look much better.

I have much patience.

Guest KitCarson

Pop-Eye: You have a beautiful bike. I cannot afford it right now, college fees, this and that.......Sandy going overseas in the spring.....but come spring, if it is still around........I will come get it. I would love to have a bike like that, with such low mileage for a classic. Hey I have had more trouble with Crickett already than a few maintenance items and a broken throttle cable. I would think it would be wise to replace the main throttle cable and those on the carbs........what.....every five years? That seems normal to me. Keep your bike.......it is a keeper. But next spring........I will be looking for a project bike again........give it a silver pearl paint job...........

I am lucky I suppose, If the weather is good, I cannot get out of the house without Sandy wanting to go to. Yes we have been stranded lots!! Wet...cold. miserable.......laugh with it and do it again!! You have a pretty bike, shure do.........I have a brand new Chevrolet 3500 work truck sitting at the dealer right now......I did not get five miles till the brakes went out, the seal from the master cylinder to the firewall mount leaked like a .....do not know what........anyways no brakes!!!!

Depends on what you like .........I suppose.........what is on my mind is if you own a bike like that, there is a fellow on this site...knows more about the 1st gen than those who made it........before you can finish describing the situation, you will have the answer.........come spring.......you still have it........you will not for long. Kit

Strange thing;

I took scoot out for a 2 1/2 hour buzz last summer once when Boss was busy.

When I got back from the little spin around the lake, she said she had been goin' nuts 'cause she changed her mind the same minute I left the garage.

Since then, I don't think I've rode solo for more than 6 miles in one direction, which is the distance between the 2 towns we live between.

She has jabbed me in the ribs at 4 a.m. on a Saturday morning because she heard a bike go by & asked: "Why aren't we out there?"

If she sees me looking at a map on our day off, she just grabs her chaps, vest, etc., and asks: "Where to?"

Middle of Last Aug., we were heading to Eureka Springs. It started raining a little, so she put her rainsuit on. She fell asleep as is common, but woke up when rain turned to a Huge Downpour. I was cruising along at 70 mph, as she saw, & just said to me: "Better put your rain gear on at the next stop...& I'll get us a coffee".

She's ready to go when temp reaches 47*F in the a.m., as long as it'll get warmer later...no need to wait for sun to rise.

She is very angry at scoot for being down from May to mid Aug last summer...& then busting a cable after one ride to ES.

We only had one good ride between May & October this year and that was a soaker with messed-up plans.

She blames the bike........and may never forgive it for messing-up an entire riding season. [it really was some freaky bad luck]

I had 2 Yamaha Techs go over it recently & they both agreed there's nothing to fix. That doesn't happen very often, if ever.