IGNORED

Temperature Light goes slightly on and off.

Ok, I know I put this here before and no answers. But situation now is different.

I did everything except change the coolant liquid.

The fact is on neutral, if I left the engine running for more than 20 minutes I never get the temperature light going ON.

If I start to ride the bike on street for a couple of miles, sometimes I can see the temperature light starting really low (almost imposible to notice that during the day), and then disappears.

If I keep running, it goes ON again a little strong but if I stop the bike, I can feel the fan on and after a couple of seconds the light goes OFF.

I was able to see the fan working, and also I already check the level of Coolant.

Also, finished to take off the thermostat, and test it on a vessel with water and it opens at 80ºC (177 ºF) and it close with no problem. Tried this at least 10 times, and it allways worked.

I have the bike stop during the hole winter, and due to this I didn't ride it but I'm trying to have it ready for next weekend MD.

Do you somebody think that I need to change the coolant?

Should I mix the coolant 50/50 with water?

I refill it with full coolant liquid. May be a 1/4 of the bottle, and it is a 1/2" over the Full Line.

I 'll thank any help in order to have this ready during this weekend for test it before my 3 hour trip on Friday.

BTW, bike is a 1997 Royal Star Classic, with 11000 miles on it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

calperin

:mytruck1: I don't want to do this next Friday!!!

50% regular green antifreeze and 50% distilled water. Flush the system out, and refill it with that mix. Spray the fins on the radiator out with water too. There may be bugs/debris in them.

Have you checked coolant level in the RADIATOR, as opposed to the surge tank?(pull pressure cap only when cold, coolant should be to very top). I made the mistake of checking level and servicing at surge tank, but hose from tank to radiator was plugged, and the radiator was actually low coolant. Also defective pressure cap on the radiator could cause surge tank to not keep radiator full.

bkhur,

I just did that. I found the hose going to the radiator almost empty, also the bottle was under the low level even when last week I filled above the high level. Now, I take of the bottle and cleaned, also the thermostat housing and check the thermostat and it works.

However after ensemble everything I left something loose (I believe on the thermostat housing) since I can see the green coolant flushing from the hose coming from the radiator due to the pressure when the engine got temperature.

Still with that, I never see the light goes on or the fan start to work. But due the the leak I started to get such vapor on the winshield that I decide to stop the engine, and tomorrow I'll recheck all the bolts and hoses.

I filled both the bottle at the high level and the circuit from the cap to the radiator up to the cap level. I don't think that level is overflow and that create too much pressure.

Thanks for your tip.

calperin

:sick::sick::sick:

bkhur,

I just did that. I found the hose going to the radiator almost empty, also the bottle was under the low level even when last week I filled above the high level. Now, I take of the bottle and cleaned, also the thermostat housing and check the thermostat and it works.

However after ensemble everything I left something loose (I believe on the thermostat housing) since I can see the green coolant flushing from the hose coming from the radiator due to the pressure when the engine got temperature.

Still with that, I never see the light goes on or the fan start to work. But due the the leak I started to get such vapor on the winshield that I decide to stop the engine, and tomorrow I'll recheck all the bolts and hoses.

I filled both the bottle at the high level and the circuit from the cap to the radiator up to the cap level. I don't think that level is overflow and that create too much pressure.

Thanks for your tip.

calperin

:sick::sick::sick:

On my 83 the pressure cap is in an awkward position and difficult to install properly(level and sort of "double clicks"). Look at the locking tabs on your cap and how they work, then make sure it is fully and properly engaged. Then rinse the radiator with water hose to get all spilled coolant out of the fins. After is is warmed/dried up it should stop steaming the windshield.:080402gudl_prv: