IGNORED

Almost Got Me!!!!!

Hobscotch

Yesterday was the day of absolute fear while I was riding home from getting my RSV inspected.

While riding down an interstate in the left lane, I was passing a Jeep who at the last second as I was right next to his vehicle decided he wanted my lane. There was no indication or turn signal on the jeep that he was going to change lanes.

That section of the highway has a concrete divider about 5 feet high and about a foot and a half from the edge of the left lane.

I missed scraping the wall by less than a foot and the front bumper of the jeep was less than a foot from my saddle bags the last time I saw the situation for what it was. Have no idea how I got out of it, but I am very glad my clutch did not slip when I opened the throttle to get the hell OUT of that situation.

I cannot imagine the mess I and my RSV would have made had I hit the brakes, the wall, or the jeep. Guess my life insurance would have been paying the claim shortly.

In 40 years of riding, that is the closest I have ever come to dying on a motorcycle. Must have been pure instinct, experience, and training that kicked in, because I had no time to think.

Time to put the loud pipes back on the RSV!!!!

I had a similar situation a few years back except the car sped off and I chased it at 100 mph, I finally realized that I was nuts and backed off. Fortuanatly for me the guy took my exit and I caught up to him at the gas station.

Lets just say it was not pretty after that, me screaming at the guy that he almost killed me and then sped off. Well I went and got a cop and tried to get the guy a ticket, but instead the cop calmed me down and went and had a come to Jesus meeting with the guy. I never found out the details.

All I can say is his brain was some where else and damn everybody in his way. Late for work or cell phone is my guess.

Thanks God he missed me.

Bubber

Glad you made it thru that safely. There's no substitute for practical experience.

Had similar happen to me last year. In fact, we were at a point where there was an on-ramp on the right (we were in the left lane with a similar barrier) and this "person" coming in from the ramp decided that they wanted all the way over to the left lane. Didn't even look to see if anyone was in it ... just kept coming over. I blasted my Stebel several time but when I could see they were (or must have been) deaf, I backed off. By this time tho, I am into the space between the lane marker line and the concrete barrier and they are almost fully into MY lane and MY space. At this point my front wheel was about even with the divider between the front and rear doors.

For me at least, it was situation of being able to "see" what was going to happen before it happened and knowing I had an escape if the "person" didn't hear/see me and kept coming. In this case, I had "thinking" time.

Ya gotta watch those other drivers all the time. Experience will teach you how to "read" them.

It's amazing I too have been riding some 50 years.

I have had several things happen to me like that have been mentioned here.

I keep thinking I have all the things figured out that might go wrong in about every situation. BUT you know what? Something else happens that I don't see coming.

Like you I have came out of all the situations without a scratch but sometimes I don't know how.

I don't go chasing anyone down, I'm not looking to get shot.

Experience and instinct play a big role in survival.

Glad you are fine,

BOO

--- In 40 years of riding, that is the closest I have ever come to dying on a motorcycle. Must have been pure instinct, experience, and training that kicked in, because I had no time to think. ---

Your story reminds us all of how critical it is to ride defensively Steve and how much we are all vulnerable to bad cage drivers. Like others, I can relate because of my own close calls over the years where luck - or intinct - saved my a__. Hope your record of no bike accidents survives until the end of your riding!

Had a few close ones. The ones I really hate are the people that sit at a stop sign and watch you approach then at the last moment pull out across the road and stop. They sit there and grin at you while you make a panic stop. One of the most absurd was when I was coming through town (Ganges) at slow speed. A woman pulled out of a side road on my right and actually hit my bike as she slowly passed. I swerved to the centerline and still was able to plant a couple good kicks in her drivers door. I stopped at a store up the road and she pulled in as well. I stupidly thought she might want to apologize. I said "That was a pretty close call there". She said "What?". I told her what had happened and she said " Well what were you doing there?". I shook my head and walked away.

The ones I really hate are the people that sit at a stop sign and watch you approach then at the last moment pull out across the road and stop. They sit there and grin at you while you make a panic stop.

If that happened to me, and I survived it, they would probably have a few 9mm rounds in their head. Self defense.

I ride the Pa turnpike alot, I put a set of steble airhorns on mine, whenever I am passing someone my thumb is on the horn button as soon as I see their front tires cross the center line they get a blast. Seems to work pretty well for me.:080402gudl_prv: Craig