IGNORED

Need turn signal beauty ring

jer878

One of my front turn indicator beauty rings (chrome ring between the lens & housing) split over the winter. Wondering if anyone has an extra.

I have one turn indicator visor, free (including shipping) for any member that needs one. PM me with info and I'll get it shipped off to you.

Thanks,

Jim

You can repair that ring just fine with a bit of ABS pipe glue. Use plenty on both sides, hold the pieces together tightly for thirty seconds or so to fix the position, then set in a warm place to dry for a minimum of 4 hours. Should last forever, and often the joint will not even show.

Goose

I don't think the ABS glue's gonna work. I tried it and the ring is some sort of nylon. Bought another from my dealer...

It all depends on what it is made of - I know the chrome windscreen strip is ABS, and I have repaired those with perfect results. I have not had to do one of the signal rings, but I assumed it was made of the same material.

It is important to realize that Pipe "glue" is not an actual glue - it is a solvent that welds the pieces together by melting the surface of the plastic. All of the plastic I have found on a Royal Star is ABS, and you must make sure to have a pipe compound that is specifically labeled for ABS. The universal stuff is fine, but it MUST say ABS on it, not just PVC or CPVC.

To test if a specific piece of plastic can be repaired that way, just put a drop of the pipe compound on the bare plastic (NOT on the chrome) and rub it with a toothpick. If you can get a little bit of the melted plastic on the end of the toothpick, then it can be repaired as strong as new. To get a successful repair you must have fresh solvent that has not started to thicken with age, you must use plenty on both pieces, when you put the pieces together, a little wiggle to mix the melted surface together is good, and most importantly, you must let the part COMPLETELY cure so all of the solvent is gone from the plastic. At a minimum this will take about four hours in the sun, but I like to let it sit overnight.

Goose