IGNORED

The Harley Wobble

Bvinson

wow... made me a little sick to see that video of the cop bike in a turn. I have never had anything like that on any bike I have owned. The Vmax moved around a little if you buried the speedo but only if the sissy bar/backrest was on. The Venture seems rock solid at any speed over 5mph. I have always assumed that these kind of HD crashes were operator error/ alcohol induced.

Ride safe everyone!

Frank

I've mentioned this before a few years ago when I got my '87. At speeds above 165 km/h, the bike would start to wobble. Never had this problem on my '85. Others reported similar on their MKII. A bit of experimenting and I discovered I could reduce/eliminate the wobble if I spread my knees out wide so they were catching air. I then attributed the wobble to the different trunk and side bag design. This wobble would occur whether I was solo or riding 2-up and in either case, I could spread my knees out and virtually stop it.

On my '06, I have not experienced any wobble of any sort other than during a high speed, tight corner that has dips or bumps but it's really not a wobble in that case and the bike steadies itself fairly quickly so that is really more of a frame/suspension flex I figgure.

I've had my '06 now for 2.5 years and have pushed it pretty hard at time in the corners and feel perfectly safe. One thing I noticed yesterday as I was blasting thru one of my fav tight corners is that I don't scrape the floorboard anymore... apparently a "hidden" advantage to adding the levelling links which raise the rear of the bike a bit.

About a month ago, I posted on here about a buddy of mine Having an accident during a poker run. When I talked with Roger he told me that the bike, HD RK, just started to wobble in a curve. i just sent him this link. He has a steel rod in his hip, and uses a walker. No telling if or when he can go back to work (he drives a concrete mixer) or get on the bike again. His bike is in the shop with about $7000 in repairs needed.

I have read a lot about the wobble and many Harley riders will add a stabilizing bracket that is supposed to eliminate the wobble. This issue was supposed to be resolved with the upgraded frame on the 09 models. I never experienced it on my '03 or on my current '10.

My friend JD experienced this last yr on one of our rides. I just e-mailed him the link. He almost lost it (2004 RK) into the guardrail on the opposite side of the road. Really shook him up. We stopped for a while and he finally got calmed down. Never saw him so scared of riding. I kinda got after him for maybe going to fast. But after reading and watching this, I believe it was the bike. The curve he was in was exactly like the video. Long and sweeping curve. Wowwwww... scary....Thanks for the thread........... Fuzzy

I've experienced this to some degree on my 00 Road King. Happens more as the rubber bushings in the rear swingarm mount deteriorate. As mentioned there is an aftermarket fix, as there is for many other Harley shortcomings. I'll take whine over wobble any day of the week. I like many things about Harley but am glad I found what great machines the yammy V4s are. And what a great bunch of folks we have on here. Go visit a Harley forum for an eye opening comparison of respect.

Harleys were also known for the "Tank Slapper" too. Guess maybe this wobble was what leads up to the slapper if its not brought under control right away.

Did I mention just how much I love my RSV lately??? :smile5: