What is "normal" temp for a first gen? My bike likes to run just below the red on the stock gauge. The fan comes on and off like it should. On the highway it runs a little cooler, but not much. Do I need to flush the system out again? If I just cruise around town my legs will get reel warm reel quick. It is WAY worse running the side covers than without. Any ideas? Shaun

Hi Shaun

You say you have flushed the system. Do you have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. You might need to look at a thermostat. I believe there is a X reference for the right thermostat from NAPA in the Tech pages. Also I don't think the early stock gauges were calibrated all that close/accurate

My 83 runs just over 1/2 way on the stock gauge on the HWY. In town it is a little warmer unless the air temp it hot. Then it is hotter:080402gudl_prv:.

If you are getting the same temps at your place as I am here (85-95 degrees) it sounds about right.

The gauge will run just short of the red around town and drop a bit on the open road in really hot weather.

About 3/4 up in the green is a good reference point for running down the road in decent weather.

I have had several older 1st Gens and two of them ran hotter than they should have. I did all the routine stuff; drained and flushed, checked out the thermostat for proper operation, fuel mixture, etc. etc. One day I removed the radiator on my current 86 that has a 89 motor and held it up to the light to see just how clogged with debris it was, not inside but in between the cooling fins/coils. To my surprise it was about 50% clogged with little rocks, sand, petrified bugs, little piece of wood, whatever. I removed as mush as I could with a 1300 psi pressure washer, and used a modified feeler guage to force the crap out from between the cooling rods. I removed approximately 75%, maybe more of the junk that had been lodged in the radiator probably for years. The more I freed up stuff the better the high pressure washer worked to remove even more. Anyway, when satified I had made substantial improvement, I reinstalled the radiator. I now runs just barely into the green zone; much, much cooler. Worked for me. Take a look see with a flashlight and mirror and see what you can determine. May be worth your time.

Edited by MasterGuns

Maybe you might consider using Water Wetter, after the cleaning. I've read that there are differences of opinion in using Water Wetter. I'll see of I can find the thread. I'm planning on using it after I clean my radiator. And then I'm thinking about installing a fine mess screen in front of the Rad.

• 3 weeks later...
Take a look see with a flashlight and mirror and see what you can determine. May be worth your time.

Good thinking Herb. It's something I do on cars, but never gave it a thought on a 25+ year old scoot. :bang head: