IGNORED

Roundabouts - Be very careful!

Bwhite

The Free Press, Mankato, MN

May 11, 2011

(Name removed) was killed in three-wheeler crash in New Prague

NEW PRAGUE — A North Mankato woman was killed Tuesday when she was thrown from a three-wheeled motorcycle on a roundabout near New Prague.

(name removed), 62, was a passenger on the vehicle being driven by her husband. The State Patrol said the vehicle, a Harley-Davidson trike, hit a raised-curb median with its left rear and front wheels. The crash occurred at 12:38 p.m.

Bonita Domeier was thrown from the vehicle and struck a street sign. John Domeier was found pinned beneath the trike in the center of the roundabout. He suffered non-critical injuries, the patrol said.

a man riding his motorbike in the town of Sumbawanga was badly injured when he hit a tree. when asked by the officer what happened, he said he honked but the tree didnt move out of his way.

lesson to be learned here....always give tree right of way and go AROUND it.:Laugh:

While many feel roundabouts are safer, they are very confusing for a lot of drivers ... at least the ones I've been in around here. What's worse is the people who've built them (around here) must be midgets who drive go-karts coz they certainly don't allow sufficient space for larger vehicles, especially the double-laned roundabouts. And those ones, it seems nobody really understands which "lane" they should be in to exit as there are no proper directional markings.

(end of RANT)

Building a lot of roundabouts here too. They work OK once everyone understands how to use them. I think the ones being built here are built by midgets too. A couple years ago our aunt, who was 91 then, went airborne when she launched off the center of one she did not realize was there. She was fine, just kept going and wondered what the bump was. Her passenger on the other hand was a bit weak kneed. On the lighter side, when I was in England one year I was following my cousin to her place. I did not know where it was so had to make sure I did not loose her. In England if you are not doubling the speed limit you are going to be passed. She had a turbo wagon and I had a diesel van. I had a hard time keeping up on the freeway then we hit a three lane roundabout. We went around it twice, she missed the turn off the first time. I had the van in a four wheel drift, tires and engine screaming trying to keep up. The second time around we hit the right exit. I figure everyone there thought a movie was being filmed.

Building a lot of roundabouts here too. They work OK once everyone understands how to use them. I think the ones being built here are built by midgets too. A couple years ago our aunt, who was 91 then, went airborne when she launched off the center of one she did not realize was there. She was fine, just kept going and wondered what the bump was. Her passenger on the other hand was a bit weak kneed. On the lighter side, when I was in England one year I was following my cousin to her place. I did not know where it was so had to make sure I did not loose her. In England if you are not doubling the speed limit you are going to be passed. She had a turbo wagon and I had a diesel van. I had a hard time keeping up on the freeway then we hit a three lane roundabout. We went around it twice, she missed the turn off the first time. I had the van in a four wheel drift, tires and engine screaming trying to keep up. The second time around we hit the right exit. I figure everyone there thought a movie was being filmed.

:sign funny post: :sign20: you actually drive like that??

While many feel roundabouts are safer, they are very confusing for a lot of drivers ... at least the ones I've been in around here. What's worse is the people who've built them (around here) must be midgets who drive go-karts coz they certainly don't allow sufficient space for larger vehicles, especially the double-laned roundabouts. And those ones, it seems nobody really understands which "lane" they should be in to exit as there are no proper directional markings.

(end of RANT)

They are not safer, unless they are controlled by traffic lights.

What they are is a very cheap alternative to a proper intersection.

In the US they are quite rare, and folk are not used to negotiating them, so I would urge extra care. You may know what you are doing, Gramps, in his Oldsmobile, does not.

On the other hand, they are extremely useful for learning how far you can lean your bike, and how to get your knee down.

If you want to see something confusing, take a look here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/wiltshire_live_search_gallery.shtml%3F15&h=350&w=470&sz=50&tbnid=aFVkufOwv41B0M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=129&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bmagic%2Broundabout%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=the+magic+roundabout&usg=__hNOE84j81KcY63gRDqrLKYy7dKY=&sa=X&ei=GUbMTY_QN6PY0QHq2tDfBg&ved=0CD8Q9QEwBg

In the US they are quite rare, and folk are not used to negotiating them, so I would urge extra care. You may know what you are doing, Gramps, in his Oldsmobile, does not.

On the other hand, they are extremely useful for learning how far you can lean your bike, and how to get your knee down.

If you want to see something confusing, take a look here:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/images/2007/10/22/msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/image_galleries/wiltshire_live_search_gallery.shtml%3F15&h=350&w=470&sz=50&tbnid=aFVkufOwv41B0M:&tbnh=96&tbnw=129&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bmagic%2Broundabout%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=the+magic+roundabout&usg=__hNOE84j81KcY63gRDqrLKYy7dKY=&sa=X&ei=GUbMTY_QN6PY0QHq2tDfBg&ved=0CD8Q9QEwBg

hey i still remember that one it the old test pattern from the TV back in the 60's

on saterday morning when we were waiting for the cartoons to come on:big-grin-emoticon:

I disagree.

It is a proven fact that they are MUCH safer. For example, in a roundabout, you will never have a collision with a vehicle turning LEFT, nor will you ever be T-boned.

google roundabout ... there's ton's of proof they are safer ... drivers just need to learn how to manouver them properly.

As for being rare in the US, we recently drove to Seattle (not on I-5) and encountered more roundabouts than we have anywhere up here in BC (well, a "bit" of an eggzagerashun).

What's unsafe, isn't roundabouts. It's people that don't have the ability to ride/drive safely.

Quite correct.

And if a roundabout doesn't have lights, it's less safe than an intersection that does.

Whatever anyone says.

Rick...everyone in England drives like that, when you get out to Cornwall they really get insane.

Roundabouts get rid of lights and keep the traffic flowing. All you need to remember is that the traffic in the roundabout has right of way over those entering. It is also good to signal your intentions such as leaving at the next exit.

Quite correct.

And if a roundabout doesn't have lights, it's less safe than an intersection that does.

Whatever anyone says.

Intersections that has lights are safer than a Round-About without lights?

I haven't seen anyone T-Boned or a multi-car accident at a Round-About yet...have you?

I haven't heard of many fatalities either in a these Round-Abouts, compared to a intersection with lights either.

I guess where you live must have a lot of accidents in these Round-Abouts :confused24:

As was previously mentioned, many people don't drive safely, don't know what a merge or yield sign means, run the lights at an intersection, don't signal and don't know how to pass.

Intersections that has lights are safer than a Round-About without lights?

I haven't seen anyone T-Boned or a multi-car accident at a Round-About yet...have you?

We have a bunch of them close by. The papers said the fender bender accidents have increased but the higher speed accidents have decreased.

I Still hate them, a car is one thing but being hit on a motorcycle will not be fun. May not get hurt too bad but sure going to be pissed off. :think:

Brad

Yup, round-abouts are all the rage here on Vancouver Island.... they just built an overpass to the Victoria Airport with {count em} 3 roundabouts on top. the lanes have nice squigley pictures to indicate how to use them, with airplanes and everything. I call them a vehicular aptitude test.... if you can't figure out how to get to the airport , you are too stupid to fly {or work on them I guess}... seriously have these guys never heard of the "kiss" principle?

Cheers, Gary :whistling:

We have a bunch of them close by. The papers said the fender bender accidents have increased but the higher speed accidents have decreased.

I Still hate them, a car is one thing but being hit on a motorcycle will not be fun. May not get hurt too bad but sure going to be pissed off. :think:

Brad

And subsequently, the injuries per accent.

But I do agree, any accident on a motorcycle is not going to be "fun".

. the lanes have nice squigley pictures to indicate how to use them, with airplanes and everything.

That is one of our problems you enter with 2 lanes painted on the road, then when you hit the circle there is no lines, planes or anything but stones.

I asked the Transportation manager and he said when they painted lines in the circle the accident rate with larger vehicles went up, so they will not be painting lines in anymore round a bouts.

Brad

thank you sailer i now feel better i to got into a mess in the dam london round abouts good to know i was not a lone:confused24::confused24:

thank you sailer i now feel better i to got into a mess in the dam london round abouts good to know i was not a lone:confused24::confused24:

When you have mastered London you are allowed to move on to Paris.

Save Milan and Rome for later!!

If everyone would learn to be cautous and curtius then that would work here...NOT. Roundabouts will work once everyone learns how to use them. I was in a roundabout (just after the were put in) and almost got hit by a lady she didn't want to yeld (or slow down) as she came into the roundabout. She thought that the vehicle in the roundabout had to exit at the first exit they came to.

After Rome comes Cornwall. There is nothing like heading down a road 11/2 lanes wide with stone walls on both sides and three cars trying to pass you then rounding a blind corner and seeing a stone arch way a few feet ahead with a sign reading "Not suitable for cars more than 6' 6" wide" Quick! how wide is a rental Volvo? I think it is 6' 5".