IGNORED

Patriot Guard Flags ?

GolfVenture

Guest Zak202

I am in the planning on making my own flag base and purchasing the flage from their web-site. My thoughts are to make a base simular to a hitch and using pins to keep the flag poles in place.

I found a company called "RIVCO" that makes flag holders for motorcycles that look really good. Their website is www.rivco.com and phone number is 888-801-8222. They have catalogs available so anyone who is looking for this kind of gear should give them a try.

I need to order some for myself since I've joined the Patriot Guard Riders.

Claude in Hemet, CA :080402gudl_prv:

I found a company called "RIVCO" that makes flag holders for motorcycles that look really good. Their website is www.rivco.com and phone number is 888-801-8222. They have catalogs available so anyone who is looking for this kind of gear should give them a try.

I need to order some for myself since I've joined the Patriot Guard Riders.

Claude in Hemet, CA :080402gudl_prv:

???

I got a home finace site in a language that I could not read.

Yah! Rivco makes a lot of different motorcycle accdessories! Many 1st gen'ers have bought the spin on adapter for the oil filter.

Flags from the PGR website.

Funny thing, I was just talking about buying a 2 flag holder for the larger flags for PGR missions as aftyer August I will have time to actually participate in a few...

It's very easy to make a flag holder for the 3X5 flags for the RSV, if you have the saddle bag guard rails installed already. It's attractive and easy to install.

Get one or two chrome fishing pole holders (depending on if you want to fly 1 or 2 flags) and the rail clamp accessory for each from your local marine dealer or Bass Pro shop. They cost about $20 each. Get a 30" length of lightweight L-shaped angle iron bar stock at Home Depot and 2 U-clamps. If you only fly 1 flag, make sure it's installed on the RIGHT side of the bike as you are looking at it from the rear.

1. Clamp the chrome pole holders to the back of the saddle bag guards on each side. (The top rail.)

2. Drill 2 holes for the U-clamps at each end of the angle iron so that they are roughly directly above the pole holders.

3. Bolt the angle iron to the underside of the tour pack using the existing bolts that hold the tour pack on. If those bolts are too short, replace them with ones that are a little longer. You'll obviously have to drill 2 holes in the angle iron that match up with the bolt locations. I also use rubber cups over the sharp ends of the angle iron to protect against getting cut if you or anyone else rubs against it.

4. Use a flag pole of your own choice, but make sure the pole is tall enough that when the 3X5 flag is attached, that it doesn't hit the ground when the bike is leaning on the side stand. I use 2 adjustable paint roller extension poles that I painted to match the bike and attach the flags with carabeaners on the top and clamped to the middle of the pole.

5. Attach the U-bolts to the angle iron, and slide the poles through the U-bolts and into the chrome pole holders. Tighten the bolts and attach your flags.

Total cost estimate for 2 flags:

Pole holders and rail brackets - $60

Angle iron and rubber end caps - $14

U-bolts - $5

Poles - $25 (but you can make your own for less)

Flags - varies with quality and source

I leave the angle iron on all the time and no one even asks me about it when they see it. It's very unobtrusive looking. The U-bolts and poles attach and remove in about 5 minutes each time.

I'm sure there are lots of other ways to do this, but I like this set-up, and use it often.

I forgot to mention one small but important drilling measurement to keep in mind.

When you drill the holes on the angle iron for the U-bolts, make sure they are low enough on the bar so that you can easily fit a crescent wrench or socket in there to get at the nuts holding the U-bolts on. I drilled mine too high on one side and it's a pain sometimes to get at them. (See picture #7 and you'll see what I mean.)

Just a thought....