IGNORED

Is anyone planning on riding to the wall ?/?/?

FuzzyRSTD

My friend and I are planning on possibly riding to the Veterans Memorial Wall (Arlington,Va.), and I have never been. Just wondering if anyone else has made these plans here in our general neighboring states or in our area. We would be leaving here, Olive Hill, Ky. on Friday, May 27 at 2:00 pm to ride to Arlington,Va. From here it is about 7 hrs none stop. We would like to take our time and be there for the Sunday morning trip to the wall,then start back for home that evening. Must be back home on Monday, May 30 th by 12:00 noon.

Would love to meet up with some of you folks if you have made plans to go. I told my friend JD, that I would check to see if any of you all are going/or making plans before we make any final decisions. I have looked at RFTW site and information. But I think we are a little to late to get any of the discounts and so on. I feel like we would maybe be intruding on a good thing by not making plans in advance. We decided that we would become members next year and try and meet up with them. Their deadline for hotels and so forth was in April.

This would be a nice annual event if someone would like to take on the responsibility of such a plan. Or maybe someone has. I did a search and came up with nothing. I think it is really good to honor those/and their family, who have paid such a great debt for our freedom.

James Darrell Fultz

437 Reeves Branch

Olive Hill, Ky. 41164

(606) 356-7797

I went last year - awesome !!

We thought we would get a head start as far as getting into the Pentagon lot so we left the hotel at 7AM, got to the lot at 7:30ish and had to wait in line and it took another 20 minutes to get in line and parked for the run to the wall.

The North and South lot were full and they were lined up on the incoming road before they let the first bikes out. Never seen so many bikes in one place in my life.

Not going this year, probably next year -:thumbsup:

I'll be there with about 9 other members of the Legion Riders from Whitman, MA. I have been 3 times before and had the honor of riding with my dad, a Vietnam Vet. Rolling Thunder is very special to him and I'm so happy to be able to share it with him. This year my youngest son is going to ride down with us as well, three generations together, it should be special for us!

We are leaving Friday the 27th and plan on staying the weekend and leaving on Monday for home. We're staying at a Courtyard a few miles from the Pentagon, and if I have anything to say about it we will be up and headed towards the parking lot by 7am. I've been stuck in the south lot and I'd much prefer to be in the North Lot.

We're taking a side trip through Cape May, NJ on the way home to be present for Marvin Hume's first flag raising ceremony of the season. If you've not heard of this I recommend taking a look at this news story, it is something to be proud of as an American: Marvin Hume's Sunset Flag Raising

Perhaps we will run into each other down there!

I and BluesTD08 will be there as a Rolling Thunder member NC-5, doing security in the parking lot of the mourning of the "Demonstration Ride". You all be good now! :whistling: You can spot the BEERCART w/flags close to the front, parallel of the highway. This will be my 4th year participating and it's more exciting every time I go.

For those whom it their first time. Bring plenty of patience! Bring all that you may need for hydration and eats (if your on a budget), food and drinks are sold there. CMA/PG and other organizations are there for thirst and aid if needed. Take precautions for heat and sun, as the parking lot gets HOT or possible rain. Umbrellas and small chairs that you can take on bike are helpful. Fly Flags if you have them Old GLORY and MIA-POW. Any alcohol is prohibited, I get to confiscate it if I find it ! LOL!!!!!!!

Bikes are packed in like sardines, so open fires are discouraged. If anyone does use flame for cooking, there will be a fire extinguisher for each bottle of fuel. It is suggested if you use a flame to cook, take it away from the bikes to a more open area. There are a lot of HD's and 1st Gens that leak oil!, get my drift? :stirthepot: :stirthepot:

Around noon, be prepared for the Fly Over (if scheduled) and then the ROAR of all the bikes starting up. Though you may have a wait before you start, a solemn feeling of what this event was meant for will overwhelm you. Be prepared for on-lookers and excited supporters along the route stepping into the road and wanting to slap/shake your hand along the way. That is dangerous to say the least. You will cross the bridge into DC and see Tim the Marine in Dress Blues at attention. He remains at attention until the last bike. He's a TRUE Professional and even after the Demonstration ride.

I will not spoil you with the rest of what you will encounter, but you will enjoy it!

See Ya There!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEER30

Well I guess not to many here going. I was hoping that I could get to follow someone else for a change. It is not always easy to lead the way. Maybe we will change directions and go west.

It sounds like you haven't made reservations in the area for Rolling Thunder - if you haven't made them already, changing direction might be a good idea. I expect as in previous years there will be about 1 million visitors to DC on Memorial weekend.

There may not be room at the Inn

I am heading up there for the 1st time with 3 Rolling Thunder vets. We are leaving on Thursday morning from the ATL, staying the Harrisonburg VA area that night, and arriving in DC late Friday morning. Hitting some of the local sponsoring dealerships for some momento's and playing tourist on Saturday. Lots of memorials I haven't seen in quite a while. I also have family in the area that I'll be visiting with, so no hotel needed.

After the Sunday ride, I am heading back south on my own via the VA and NC coastlines before arriving back in the ATL on Tuesday. Rain or shine, it's going to be a great trip.

It sounds like you haven't made reservations in the area for Rolling Thunder - if you haven't made them already, changing direction might be a good idea. I expect as in previous years there will be about 1 million visitors to DC on Memorial weekend.

There may not be room at the Inn

Yes your right Hummingbird. I called Sunday about a room with two beds, yes available, but $169.00 a night. They are robbing people with those kind of price hikes. So yes, maybe going to wait until next year and make plans early. We now are considering going across Ky west to maybe the Mammoth Caves Park area and maybe a short tour there through a cave. Do not know what to expect in western Ky area. Only been there once, a long time ago. I remember some of the wetlands area and cotton was in bloom, the fields looked like snow.

Rooms are at a premium. Were we stay, rooms are regularly $400.00+/- a night. Rolling Thunder members rates are $110.00 +/- in Crystal City. I run into other bikers whom camp out or room outside the beltway for cheaper rates. Though I have a friend whom lives less than a mile away from the Hotel we stay at, he says it may take a hour to get from his place to the bunk-house. I'd rather pay the rate that wait. Plus I split the rates with a roomy when Becky does not go.

BEER30

I'll be there. I'm riding from LA to DC with Run For the Wall. RFTW.ORG. I already have all my reservations and will be in DC on the 27th and will be there for 3 days. I'll be there for Rolling Thunder as well.

I'm leaving DC and heading for MD in Oberlin. Then back home to UT. :Venture:

Edited by SMSgt

I'll be there. I'm riding from LA to DC with Run For the Wall. RFTW.ORG. I already have all my reservations and will be in DC on the 27th and will be there for 3 days. I'll be there for Rolling Thunder as well.

I'm leaving DC and heading for MD in Oberlin. Then back home to UT. :Venture:

Ya, I am serious about trying to be there as well, the MD at Don's place. That is if wifey and dear friend in Mansfield, Oh is doing ok.

Rooms are at a premium. Were we stay, rooms are regularly $400.00+/- a night. Rolling Thunder members rates are $110.00 +/- in Crystal City. I run into other bikers whom camp out or room outside the beltway for cheaper rates. Though I have a friend whom lives less than a mile away from the Hotel we stay at, he says it may take a hour to get from his place to the bunk-house. I'd rather pay the rate that wait. Plus I split the rates with a roomy when Becky does not go.

BEER30

Wow, now that is pricey. Sorry, this old country boy could not handle that. Hope you have a wonderful time and very good weather for all. Hats off to our Veterans and their family.