IGNORED

More air for trailer?

mmoffitt

I have never run zero in the rear whether pulling a trailer or not. I would recommend that you try about 35 lbs. We weigh a bit more than you and pulling a fairly heavily loaded trailer, I run about 40 lbs. You really need a progressive pump if you don't have one.

You may have seen my post: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59272&highlight=trailer

about getting my trailer out for the first time. Do I need to add air to my rear shocks? I'll be riding 2up but we only weight about 280 together. I don't know how much air I have in there now but I think it's pretty much zero....

Thanks!

The key to that is about the hitch weight.

Hitch weight is added to the load the bike is carrying. It has the most effect of any of the weight on the bike because it is at the furthest possible rear location.

Under braking there is an additional down component too, so I'd say go on the slightly harder setting and run a few test rides. You want the smoothest backend without bouncing or bottoming or harshness and it might take a bit of working out.

Heres how I run the rear shock

I'm 280 lbs shock set at about 40 psi

2 up no gear shock set at about 45 psi

2 up loaded with gear 50 to 55 psi depending upon how much gear.

With a trailer, 2 up setting and use the trailers suspension to haul the weight for the most part, shock set at 45 to 50 psi.....your mileage may vary :2cents:

If you have a compressor at home with a pressure gage on it you can start up the compressor, then at your pre-determined PSI turn it off (unplug it if necessary). Now air up your rear shock only. You will use very little air volume and the shock absorber internal pressure will be near spot on your pre-determined pressure. The correct pressure for you is kind of trial and error depending on one or two up, trailer or no trailer, weight challenged or not. I think most run somewhere in the 30 to 40 PSI range.

Do not try this with the front forks!!! Pressure requirement is so low and volume is so small that the front shocks must be adjusted using a hand-held zero loss pump. Very high risk of blowing the seals. Progressive (or other brand names) are available 0-30, or 0-60 PSI. One of these is an absolute must if you want to maintain your own.

By the way, it's rediculous for the two of you to only outweigh me by 45 LBS!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm currently tracking/bidding on a couple of the hand pumps on ebay. I think I would feel safer doing that that using my air tank... I plan to have this bike for a long time, so I want to have the main tools I need to maintain it!

Mike

2 up loaded with gear 50 to 55 psi depending upon how much gear.

With a trailer, 2 up setting and use the trailers suspension to haul the weight for the most part, shock set at 45 to 50 psi.....your mileage may vary :2cents:

Is that AFTER you inhale the contents of a large Helium balloon??? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I love you . buddy!!! :):):):stirthepot:

Is that AFTER you inhale the contents of a large Helium balloon??? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

I love you . buddy!!! :):):):stirthepot:

I think, that is straight out of the tranker trailer, a large balloon is too small... :duck:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::canada: