IGNORED

Kudos to VR.org members

barend

We had a great weekend. Saturday I had to go look at a job and we turned it into a "quick" 100 mile scenic ride. The ride was almost ruined by the sight of a fat shirtless man walking down the side of a busy 4 lane road with his hand so far down inside his pants he could have scratched his toes. The sun won out however and we even got to see our first triked scooter.

That night we were invited to ride with a local group, which is where the Kudos come in. Saturday night we were told the ride would be from Easley SC to Hiawasee and Helen Ga. Here are some observations. To my surprise, no pre ride meeting (even though these guys ride together all the time), I didn't know what route was planned and the ride leader was at times at least a half mile ahead of the pack of 7 bikes. On the way back three of them totally disappeared and headed back to Easley leaving three of us behind while a fourth did wait to ride back with us. Another gentleman riding a triked wing who specifically stated he didn't like twisties and I (with sidecar following him) were left behind going through some of the more twistie sections, if something would have happened they would have had to come looking for us when they realized we took too long to show up. The rider of the trike "thought" he heard some sound early in the ride, it was brushed off as being because it was a wing. I don't mind having a beer with lunch while on a ride, though I didn't since I figured out by then what road we would be on, but the ride leader downing a bloody Mary followed by four beers at lunch in Hiawasee and another three in Helen is irresponsible at best. All in all we rode just over 200 miles with 9 (nine) stops!

Notwithstanding all that, the ride was beautiful and lunch at the Yacht Club in Hiawasee was delicious, but I'd prefer to ride with y'all anytime. Maybe I've been spoiled by Blackjack's and others meticulous planning and well organized rides, but If we are going to ride in a group I'd much prefer the VR bunch with it's willingness of members here to help each other, stick together and show some sense while riding.

Kudos to y'all!!:happy65:

I agree too. We went on an American Legion Veteran's Memorial ride Saturday. It was a 70 mile ride, we stopped at 6 different Legion posts, the American Legion riders who sponsored this were drinking at all of them. We left when we arrived at the 6th stop as Sue was off work and wanted to ride.

We've ridden with CMA and Southern Cruisers besides VR people. All of them are much more organized and use more sense.

The Combat Vets La. Chapter held a fund raising Poker Run last weekend for the Wounded Warrior Project. The Ride was divided into 2 segments...Wet Riders-for those desiring stops at Bars and Dry Riders-for those desiring non-alcoholic stops. The majority of the Riders chose the Dry Riders segment....we had a great ride with NO incidents.

Boomer....who sez even de pygmies don't drink and ride.:cool10:

With the ride leader downing that many drinks, I'd have decided to ride solo, and invite anyone else who wants to join in to come along. Two wheels and alcohol don't mix.

two things: one being that that was essentially taken care of by their need to ignore the "group" and just ride solo and ahead. The second goes in the "lesson learned" category. I did not have a map with me, I don't have a GPS on the bike and the GPS feature on my phone does not work anymore. I've only been in that area about twice so I'm not familiar with the roads meaning I would have been flying blind. Kind of like saying you're sailing to Catalina on the basis that it is "that way". I would have gotten home, just wouldn't have known when :hihi:. I'll be better prepared next time if there ever even is one with this bunch.

Thanks for the kudos, Barend!

Organizing and leading a ride inherently carries with it a level of concern and consideration for others that many do not understand, consider or even acknowledge. Regarding alcohol, I don't care what anyone does personally, as that is their business. However, once you drink, you can no longer ride with the group. If I'm with a group and anyone drinks, I bow out gracefully...

I miss seeing you and hope you are doing well!

Kindest Regards,

Terry

I have to agree a lot with what Blackjack has to say!! You have to be a caring individual to properly set up a ride! Chances are if you don't care about others then the ride is a "By guess and by gosh" type ride. Someone whom cares about others will try to plan the ride with as few as possible areas where the ride will be separated, etc. such as left turns, short traffic lights, etc.

As previously stated, alcohol consumption in excess (I have no problem with a beer, singular, with lunch) is a no-no and a death wish!!

I haven't ran across a venturerider ride yet that I regreted!!