IGNORED

Commuting advice.... 09 RSV

csogbk

All, gas prices being what they are, I am riding to work every day I possibly can. Problem is I have to wear business attire at my job. Any advice on how to pack a days worth of dress clothes so it wont look like it came out of the hamper when I get to work? My ride is 30 mins or so. I can't afford a custom riding suit so thats not an option. I ride in chaps and can only imagine what my slacks would look like after a ride in those. Thanks for any advice or experiences!

I commuted on my bike every day of the year, in any weather - about a 30 mile ride each way. And as an executive, I typically wore a suit every day.

I didn't do much special for riding gear - I'm ATGATT, no matter what. Well, almost - I never ride without boots EXCEPT when I wore a suit - just wasn't worth the effort to me to change my shoes, so I considered leather dress shoes acceptable (where tennis shoes would not be for me). The heel/toe shifter prevented any problems with scuffing the top of my shoes.

I wore my chaps over my suit pants, and my leather or mesh riding jacket over my shirt and tie. I simply took my suit jacket and gently folded it in half to lay on top of my briefcase in the trunk.

When the weather got wet, I just took the FroggToggs out of my saddlebag and put them on over whatever else I was wearing.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose

Guest scarylarry
How 'bout caging it on Monday and taking a week's worth of clothes in a hang up bag...

Everynow and then wes comes up with a good idea, and this was the time..

And if rains on Monday, look your in a cage..

Edited by scarylarry

I wear dress-casual clothes to work five days per week and suit and tie to church on Sundays (I'm the preacher). It's just not a big deal. Fold the jacket over and put it in the trunk on top of whatever else you have in your trunk -- a backpack/computer bag in my case. Wear the rest under a riding jacket. I don't wear chaps except when it is VERY cold or I have further to ride. I use plastic rain pants from a hiking supplies store when it rains.

All, gas prices being what they are

Speaking of which (and not meaning to hijack your thread),

We are currently paying $1.37.2 per litre which equates to $5.20/US gal or $6.24/UK gal.

Went to Seattle last weekend and just across the border, gas was at $4.09/US gal.

I wear dress shirt, tie, and slacks every day at work. But I ride to work in whatever riding gear I want/is appropriate. Fold slacks and shirt (perm press) neatly and put in a backpack, gym bag, etc. Put in trunk. When I get to work I can change in a rest room, locker room, or heck, close the door and change in my office. Takes 30 seconds. I keep a pair of dress shoes at work in a desk drawer. End of day, change back to riding clothes and I'm good to go. Permanent press slacks and shirts keep their appearance pretty well.

I went the other route.

I convinced the mangalment here that it is not appropriate for me to wear dress shoes and pants, white shirt, and tie.

I now wear all black sneakers that look kind of like dress shoes if you don't look close, Black jeans, and a polo shirt. They are pretty much wrinkle proof to wear under my riding gear.

The dress code was here since they stopped making dinosaur saddles.

Even one of the VPs has now followed my lead.

My life experiences have taught me to NOT trust anyone wearing a tie.

How 'bout caging it on Monday and taking a week's worth of clothes in a hang up bag...

I agree. I worked at a mechanics shop for a while and I did the same. Take your clothes for the week. In my case it was mechanics uniforms and dressed casual teh rest of the week.

this was before I started riding but I worked far from home and if i wanted to hit the bar after work i didnt have to look and smell like a shop mechanic.

If by 'business attire' you are meaning suit/tie type arrangement - I agree with nicely folding the jacket and putting it in the trunk over whatever else you have and that ought to be just fine.

If by 'business attire' you mean a uniform, duty belt and all - for the time that I worked for a small department I kept my uniform, duty gear and all in saddlebags and the trunk and just changed when I got in. At some point I managed to keep 3 or 4 days worth in my locker and just transport the essentials back and forth with me which would then need to include a large bag at some point to transport the old dirties to get cleaned and the clean ones back in. Also this was not on my RSV, but the other bikes I had did have hard luggage.

It seems that there are plenty of good ideas here though so you can get it figured out.

:thumbsup2:

Laptop & suit coat in the top trunk. Dress shoes and other material needed for the day in the saddle bag. Bought a nice pair of over pants w/ liner (for rainy days) from New Enough. Wore pants & riding jacket over dress cloths. Worked great. Off with riding jacket & pants, change shoes from riding boots and ready for work! Beats having to fully change all your cloths. Jacket doesn't show any worse for being folded over in trunk. Better yet, I dressed properly for the ride!