IGNORED

Ez-pass

BEER30

It's been almost a year since I last used my EZ-PASS online. All my info. to log into my account was lost on my laptop when I had to reformat it. So I called today to get support as any attempt to retrieve lost password came back to an error.

I spoke to a support person and retrieved my log in info. and then asked him about the topic of MC's. He replied back that I had the wrong transponder and he would send me the correct one for a MC out today. I also asked him about pulling a trailer and he replied to me that MC tolls are cheaper and to NOT pass through the Express Lane, but go through the normal coin slinging lane. The EZ-PASS would detect the MC and the poll person will nuke the trailer toll.

Any truth to this or did I get the BS side of the story?

BEER30

I don't know about your state but for EZ-Pass in Illinois, my MC pulling a trailer will pay exactly the same as my P/U pulling the big RV.

I called and asked about the same things and was told it strictly goes by number of axles and the number of wheels on the axle has no bearing on the toll.

They said there is no special toll or transponder or discount for a MC with or without trailer.

I live in NC, no tolls yet. I got the EZ-PASS while in NY last year. I called NY EZ-PASS and that's what they told me. He told me that there was a transponder for MC and one for cages. I guess I will find out when at MD to Mass. and back home if there is any lower rates for MC as they are sending me a transponder for MC specific.

BEER30

I have an IPass for Illinois. I don't think they have anything other than just the car deal BUT one time when one of the trailers was being passed through my area I met the guy south of the the Chicago area and since I was pulling a trailer I went through the cash lanes just in case there was a problem.

I went through 4 tolls and the cashier charged me 4 different amounts, all the way from free to two dollars and something.

While in Indiana last summer I was charged a six dollar toll because my IPass didn't trip when I got on the tollroad but of course it did when I got off.

BOO

I have had the EZ-Pass here in NY for a number of years... the MC one that is as well as for my car. There is a difference in the toll you pay when on the MC.. not sure about when pulling a trailer. But.. if you go to the EZ-Pass webpage for NY and to go plans.. at the bottom it outlines what you should have for your plan designation AND yes there is a separate MC transponder that I was sent.. with a big MC on the front.

Here is the link -

http://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml

Hope that helps.. :)

Don

Annie

You do not need either the I-pass or EZ-Pass for your travels.

It is a transponder that will automatically debit your account every time you go thru a road toll. There is almost always the option of paying cash or CC, it is just that you have to stop to do it, the passes can hit you for funds while at highway speed.

The way the passes work is that you create an account with them that you fill with funds from your CC. There is usually a $40 minimum, then as you go thru tolls they debit that account, when that account gets down to a minimum level they will automatically hit your CC for another $40 to fill it back up. In your case, at the end of your trip you will have made a donation to the issuing state of whatever funds are left in your account. Once they get your bucks, it is Nonrefundable.

Here in Ma. as I understand cars and bikes are the same rate. Don't ride pike much but when I do its at the car rate. One way to save is , from exit 1 [ny line], to exit 6 [spfld.] is free for cars, get off then back on then you pay from exit 6 on not exit 1. BEER30, where you going in Ma., I'll be at MD, look me up maybe I can help you getting around.

Just go thru the EZpass lanes with the trailer. If you hit the NJ turnpike they charge a motorcycle semi rates if you pull a trailer. Don't ask my why have no idea, we had to call and fight them to get reimbursed. So don't listen to any of the EZpass folks when you call, every state and it seems every toll is different. If we go to VA and take the Chesapeake expressway toll for a bike is supposed to be .50 if you do EZ pass they charge you car rates. Only trouble is every time we go by bike the toll is different (so we don't go that way now on the bike) from .50 to $2 which is the normal car toll.

Margaret

Here in Ma. as I understand cars and bikes are the same rate. Don't ride pike much but when I do its at the car rate. One way to save is , from exit 1 [ny line], to exit 6 [spfld.] is free for cars, get off then back on then you pay from exit 6 on not exit 1. BEER30, where you going in Ma., I'll be at MD, look me up maybe I can help you getting around.

Thanks Jonesy, Becky and I will be at MD. Will be going to Worcester to see the grand kids afterwords. I too also try to avoid the Toll Monsters as well, but sometimes the time and miles savings, the toll is a small price to pay, with exception to NY and NJ. I can also set the GPS to avoid Tolls and Trolls.

Annie, You will not need a Ez-Pass as stated above. It's a matter of convenience thing.

Mini, It will not matter what or where you go. You always and will remain a Trouble Maker !

BEER30

• 4 weeks later...

Believe it or Not, I now have 3 transponders.............................:confused 07:

First one I received on my first trip which was intended for a cage, however I was told it can be used on MC. Later to be told "No". Called EZ-Pass as mentioned in prior post and they sent me a new transponder for MC with a "M" on it. Now they sent me another transponder with a "M" on it and a sticker on it saying "M/Cycle Tag:140, 2 axles/dual rear, over 7,000 lbs." last week. I know Becky doesn't weigh that much, even with all her Beer!

Saturday, I received another package from EZ-Pass containing 3 protective pouches and then today, another package with hook & loop strips. Called them today and they told me to use first one for cages, 2nd one for only MC and third one for MC and trailer.

Just for fun, I think I will call them to request a transponder for my boat.:rotf::rotf:

BEER30

Go for it. They'd probably send ya one. That is all very funny. Might want to wait till the end of this week in case they send anything else. So where on the trailer do you put the transponder? Might want to call and ask. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Margaret

I hope it works ok but I will have my transponder in the trunk of the bike.

It should pick up the signal at least as easy as from inside of a cage.

The distance from the front wheel of the bike to the trunk is about the same as from the front of my cage to the transponder.

I am NOT putting stickies on my brand new windshield on the bike.

Guest tx2sturgis

Annie....you dont NEED a transponder as Jeff explained. If you DO take a few toll roads, you will simply be stopping in the cash lane, OR..dropping some coins in a large basket, to get thru the toll gates.

Most ALL toll roads have a slower, but more scenic, alternative route you can take. So if you are trying to save time and go fast, you might find yourself on some toll roads. But if you will be taking it easy, and unhurried touring is the order of the day, you can almost always find another route.

Either way, its not a concern really.

Have fun.

I am NOT putting stickies on my brand new windshield on the bike.

Don't blame ya! I placed mine in the past in my windshield bags and worked just fine. If the reader does not register the transponder, they take photo of your license plates. to verify. EZ=PASS has both the MC and BEERCART's license plates # on file.

BEER30

I wondered about the pictures.

In Wisconsin there are no plates issued for trailers under 3000 lbs GVW.

I do have the bike listed for my I-Pass.

I listed the trailer on my I-pass and just put NONE for the plate number.:confused24:

So depending on there camera angle the trailer could block the view of the bikes license plate.:big-grin-emoticon:

I did call the I-Pass people and was told that even on the bike the transponder must be put on the top center of the windshield, FAT CHANCE of that happening, on any bike.