IGNORED

Avon venom

plainmd

Just pulled off a set of Avon Venom off my bike today.....17500 Miles....could have made it for a few more......I have been happy with them but went back on with Dunlop elite 3 for no reason other then going to try something else

About the same on mine. The guy at the bike shop that mounts mine couldn't believe it until he checked the records on when he mounted them. He never thought they would pull that kind of mileage.

I'm getting ready to order another set. Can't complain.

Mike

Guest scarylarry

Just put on a set change over from the E3's which are good..

One thing I have notice is the front feels lighter in a curve...

Though I haven't had them on long enough to say there are good or bad..

So far I like them

I am waiting for my New Avons . My last two sets Had Bad Side wall cracking, What do you Ride & what PSI Do you Run Avon Said Solo Rider 38/42 2up- light 42/44

2up Heavy 42/48 Based on a 170 LBS Man ,i am 270 6' 2" told me go with 42/48 Whats your take on this.

Sounds like you got your moneys worth out of that tire. I'm running a E3 myself now . It is just beginning to make a little noise now on a lean but is quiet running straight. I run the max cold pressure thats on the side of the tire but still find that the sides of the tire tend to start to cup. Causing the noise. Anyone ever have a tire not do this? If so what is your secret?:confused24::D

Sounds like you got your moneys worth out of that tire. I'm running a E3 myself now . It is just beginning to make a little noise now on a lean but is quiet running straight. I run the max cold pressure thats on the side of the tire but still find that the sides of the tire tend to start to cup. Causing the noise. Anyone ever have a tire not do this? If so what is your secret?:confused24::D

My E3s have cupped a little on the sides, but never had that on Venoms or other tires I have run.

Goose

I've got about 15000 on my set of Avon's now with another couple thousand left I hope. I run mine at the max sidewall pressure, 46 and 50 if I remember correctly. No cracks on the rear tire but lots of fine little cracks on the front sidewalls, however not real worried about it, I don't see any large cracks anywhere. Got another question though-- all this talk about Avon and the cracking problem, has anyone had an Avon fail or blowout?

• 4 weeks later...
What the heck am I doing wrong had set of 404's 5500 km, Replaced with Venom 5000 km and close to the wear bars, have a new set of e 3's ready to go on, is me? or the bike, midnight venture?:confused24:

Wrong psi? You like to start like a jack rabbit? Odometer way off? You always skid to a stop? The roads you ride are in awful shape? Buying used tires? :confused24:

Could be a lot of reasons.

What the heck am I doing wrong had set of 404's 5500 km, Replaced with Venom 5000 km and close to the wear bars, have a new set of e 3's ready to go on, is me? or the bike, midnight venture?:confused24:
Absolutely no way to do anything more than just guess without more info.

You did not tell us if both tires are wearing out that fast, or just the rear tire. You did not say if there was any strange wear patterns on the tire. If it is something wrong with the bike, you would almost certainly be able to see something odd - feathering on parts of the tread blocks, cupping, uneven wear spots, etc.

If it is you instead of the bike, you would have to have some really pronounced bad riding habits that would be evident to any riding buddies. How often do the tires break loose, and in what circumstances? If you are constantly on the brakes, you would have to be burning though a set of rear pads in 5,000 km too. If you do a lot of hard engine braking with early down shifts, you should have a darned sore neck for all the jerking back and forth. And if you just like to race from stoplight to stoplight, then you are riding the wrong bike!

Goose

Absolutely no way to do anything more than just guess without more info.

You did not tell us if both tires are wearing out that fast, or just the rear tire. You did not say if there was any strange wear patterns on the tire. If it is something wrong with the bike, you would almost certainly be able to see something odd - feathering on parts of the tread blocks, cupping, uneven wear spots, etc.

If it is you instead of the bike, you would have to have some really pronounced bad riding habits that would be evident to any riding buddies. How often do the tires break loose, and in what circumstances? If you are constantly on the brakes, you would have to be burning though a set of rear pads in 5,000 km too. If you do a lot of hard engine braking with early down shifts, you should have a darned sore neck for all the jerking back and forth. And if you just like to race from stoplight to stoplight, then you are riding the wrong bike!

Goose

Yeah, kinda what I was sayin'. Just in a lot fewer words (& tongue in cheek, too).

How many burnouts are you doing?

Really, if you are getting that lousy of mileage on a Venom, then something is seriously wrong with riding habits, tire pressure (Venoms 46 to 48 rear, 42 front), or tire alignment.

Wrong psi? You like to start like a jack rabbit? Odometer way off? You always skid to a stop? The roads you ride are in awful shape? Buying used tires? :confused24:

Could be a lot of reasons.

I fyou live in a hilly or mountainous area they will wear faster

• 1 month later...

haven't had any cupping with the Venom X's - 20,000 miles so far. use max cold psi.

Used to run Avon Super Venoms on my Madura. Could get 6 months out of the rear tire, but that was mostly at 100-150 mph. Run Avon Venoms on my Venture, into my second set at 36000 k. I must be getting old, come to think of it I wanted to get old, that is why I sold the Madura.

I don't know if Robert has to ride on a lot of chip sealed roads in his area. But I know we have our share out here. The fella that runs the local bike shop here, rides a big Kawasaki cruiser and has to ride about 40 miles each day on a really bad chip seal job. When you ride on it , it feels like you're dragging an anchor. He said he can't get 10000 km's out of a back tire.