IGNORED

any Satrun guru's here?

wes0778

My Wife's '95 SC-1 has been drinking oil for a while and severly fouls the plugs regularly. I've been told these engines are bad to wear out the valve guides, causing the oil consumption. Any truth to that? Is it possible to replace the guides, or will the head have to be replaced? Can this engine be "in-frame overhauled"?

This is just what I needed another "project"!!!:(

If I remember correctly they have a pressed in valve guides. As it wears the guide ovals the the valve hole and allows oil to pass. This usually ends up requiring a new head unless you can find an EXCELLENT machine shop that can press out the old guides, without cracking the head, and press in new ones. If you manage to do that then you can also look forward to buying new valves. I would say you are better off replacing the head altogether, will save you in the end. Your other option is a new engine or car. Shaun

My Wife's '95 SC-1 has been drinking oil for a while and severly fouls the plugs regularly. I've been told these engines are bad to wear out the valve guides, causing the oil consumption. Any truth to that? Is it possible to replace the guides, or will the head have to be replaced? Can this engine be "in-frame overhauled"?

This is just what I needed another "project"!!!:(

First thing first. With it idling remove the oil fill cap and look for excessive "blow by". If it is creating crankcase pressure this can contribute to this issue. These vehicle have a PCV (positive crankcase ventilation valve). Pull it out shake it, does it "rattle" without having to shake it really hard. You should hear it rattle loosely so to speak.

Is it smoking out of the tailpipe?

Does it leak excessive oil under the hood?

What weight oil are you using?? Do you change it yourself or hit a quick lube? Should use 5W30

My recommendations before you go overboard with repairs. Remember these little engines can get quite expensive once you "open" them up.

If it were me I would first off:

1)Change oil to a good (valvoline) 5W30 and substitute one quart oil for 1 qt Lucas oil stabalizer.

2)Replace PCV Valve

3)Make sure the air filter is good and clean.

4)Replace spark plugs and monitor its condition.

If it continues to use oil at a rapid pace my honest opinion would be to replace the vehicle. With its age I would not have recommended to any of my customers to spend an extensive amount of money on it. Weigh its value in good running condition and think about what it takes to get it to that good running condition state. Sometimes replacement is just a more economical way when dealing with older vehicles.

Edited by royalstar09
added to it

I have a 91 Acura Legend that was burning oil excessively out the tail pipe. It was so bad that one could not see the road from the rear view mirror. It was really really bad. I did not want to put a lot of $s into it so at about 180K miles I would mix 30 wt oil with HyperLub at a 50/50 ratio for each oil change. It stop the excessive oil burning. I now have 210K miles. I also put some oil treatment to help out the seals. The Legend is still in good shape so I'm driving it unit some big expense comes along.

Single cam OHC, not sure of the size.

Walter, that is a 1.9 SOHC engine. They are tough to build, heads usually don't eat guides. There is a guy up here that has some Saturn car parts left over from years of rebuilding wrecks and reselling them. If you want a contact number just let me know.

Some of the Saturns as I recall have oil filled hydraulic cam chain tensioners. So I wouldn't play around with too much in the oil and additive dept. Changes in oil weight can cause big $$$ issues.But a new(reman) head these days won't break the bank and is an instant turn around. So for me its a better bet.

Frank

From what Im reading, the pistons do not have oil relief holes drilled in the oil ring valleys. So oil builds up in there and burns into a nice carbon crust, thus freezing the rings to the pistons.

Many folks are doing a Marvel Mystery Oil soak on the pistons by removing the sparkle plugs and pouring 3-4oz of MMO into the combustion chambers and letting it soak for a minimum of 8 hours. After it soaks, they crank the engine over with the sparkle plugs out to break up some more of the crusties. Then they reinstall the plugs and drive the car. After 100 miles or so, they change the oil and run a heavier 10w40 oil.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80118

This fella ran some Valvoline engine flush and reportedly stopped his oil consumption.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568

One of the big reasons for the Saturn engines to burn oil is that the oil control rings gunk up with carbon and stick in the grooves.

The engines were not designed with oil drain back holes in the oil control ring groove which causes the oil to stay in the groove and get baked on.

So if it's not the valve guides or the PVC then, most likely, it's the oil control rings.

Some people have done Marvel Mystery Oil soaks, some have done, AutoRX treatements, some have used GM top end cleaner and had some success but the majority of people don't have much success with anything but a rebuild and drilling drain back holes in the piston.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Very good site with lots of people who know what's what. Visit the how to section:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

For how to do lots of stuff. Richpin is famous for his videos of how to do things.