IGNORED

Plastic Repair Product Plus

Danaman

I just found this product called Q-Bond, it repairs just about anything. I glued two pieces of abs at 90 degrees and within 15 seconds I could not pull them apart. If you google the product they show repairs to gaskets, plastics, abs, wood, etc. It can also be built up like a weld, it would be great for all of the plastic repairs on your bike. It is extremely strong and very easy to use. Just thought I would pass on.

I have a Plastex kit on the way to repair a tab on my windshield trim. I hope it works... the stuff I have seen looks great! This looks like superglue... not too sure about the repair guy that glues up an HVAC O-ring cause it's late on Fri.

:no-no-no:

Chabicheka that is the product. In my opinion the video doesn't do this product justice. I took a flat piece of ABS and sprinkled a little bit of the powder on the flat piece and then put some glue on another piece of ABS and then stuck them together at a 90 degree angle and as stated previously they were welded together and solid in 15 seconds. I am not associated with this product in any way but thought I would pass on the information to help everyone with their broken plastic pieces, etc. A friend and myself just finished a lot of repairs on my 89 VR and I wished I had known about this product before. As soon as my friend saw the product work he went down and bought a large kit. The small kits are $22 and the larger kits are $42 CDN. Certainly saves you from alot of smoke and fumes from the ABS welding.

The reason I found this stuff is because of the repair to the chrome mole that is posted on this website. I went into a fastener place to buy some speed nuts and saw this stuff on the counter. There was another man standing there and he was the one who told me how good this product was. I saw the display where they attached a nut to a piece of wood and also a piece of plastic to a piece of wood. I can see many uses for this product.

Have you bought thhis here in Ontario Abdul?

i've never tried this product. just looked for it on the internet and found that page. maybe Danaman can tell us who he bought the stuff from, here in canada. sure looks similar to the PLASTEX..

under a different name.:beer:

If it bond rubber like that then basically it's super-glue.

Plastex can be replaced with acetone and abs shavings ... Go figure the cost.

If the crack in a fairing is clean, hold it together with aluminum tape and inject acetone into the crack. Done.

Nail varnish remover is acetone.

I bought Plastex to repair the chrome mole on my 08. The PO used superglue and made a mess. In my case its the end tab that the screw goes thru that is broken. I also have one of the other tabs broken but that is only if I can repair this piece. I heard that you could source the powder/chems cheaper but was just going after the "know this stuff works together" if I works I saved $120 or more. If not I'm not out much. Will take before and after pics.

Wish me luck

Frank

I bought Plastex to repair the chrome mole on my 08. The PO used superglue and made a mess. In my case its the end tab that the screw goes thru that is broken. I also have one of the other tabs broken but that is only if I can repair this piece. I heard that you could source the powder/chems cheaper but was just going after the "know this stuff works together" if I works I saved $120 or more. If not I'm not out much. Will take before and after pics.

Wish me luck

Frank

The chemicals concerned are ground up abs plastic, and acetone.

Try using the shavings you get from cutting a hard plastic drain fitting with a hacksaw, and mixing the result with a few drops of nail varnish remover.

Use the goop you create to stick two parts of the, now useless, fitting together and test the results.

I rebuilt my entire bike using Plastex. If the liquid is acetone it sure does not smell like it. If you look at the pic. the white tabs on my fairing are entirely made of plastex using the ptty like mold form included in the kit. one of my fairings is actually two put together to make one.

I rebuilt my entire bike using Plastex. If the liquid is acetone it sure does not smell like it. If you look at the pic. the white tabs on my fairing are entirely made of plastex using the ptty like mold form included in the kit. one of my fairings is actually two put together to make one.

There are several solvents that will dissolve ABS plastic ... Acetone is one of them. Any will do.

Plastex works by dissolving the ABS powder in the kit into a paste, which then dissolve and bonds to the adjacent material.

Acetone was recommended to me as a suitable solvent ... I plan to try it in the next few weeks.

The liquid cement used by plumbers for plastic pipes may well do the trick too. I have no beef with Plastex, it's just expensive.

There are several solvents that will dissolve ABS plastic ... Acetone is one of them. Any will do.

Plastex works by dissolving the ABS powder in the kit into a paste, which then dissolve and bonds to the adjacent material.

Acetone was recommended to me as a suitable solvent ... I plan to try it in the next few weeks.

The liquid cement used by plumbers for plastic pipes may well do the trick too. I have no beef with Plastex, it's just expensive.

It is expensive but it goes a long way once you learn how to use it effectivly

• 7 months later...
The chemicals concerned are ground up abs plastic, and acetone.

Try using the shavings you get from cutting a hard plastic drain fitting with a hacksaw, and mixing the result with a few drops of nail varnish remover.

Use the goop you create to stick two parts of the, now useless, fitting together and test the results.

Careful guys...some newer nail polish removers are no longer acetone!! Make sure before using.:backinmyday:

Found some other stuff that sounds very close. http://www.rapid-fix.com/Rapid-Fix.com/HOME.html

Rapid-fix had two bottles one liquid like super glue and then some filler power that you pour in and put more of the liquid on and this stuff is harder than the original. Fixed a cracked saddle bag with it a couple weeks ago and it works great. And hardens almost immediately. and sanded smooth.

Just because a solvent melts a particular plastic does not make it just as good as another. Some have different effects that actually weaken the plastic. Most modern nail polish removers are not acetone, and because it is specifically designed to be safer around skin and to NOT flash off as fast as acetone, it is a very bad choice for plastic repair. And even tho acetone does work fairly well on ABS, it is not the best choice. If you are going to try and roll your own repairs instead of using a branded kit, the best ABS solvent is MEK.

Personally, I just stick with the ABS pipe compound because I can get it at any hardware store, I know it is specifically intended for ABS, and it has performed phenomenally for me.

Goose