IGNORED

need to try new clutch basket

Hi everyone

I have an '06 rstd with the very loud chirp which having tried different oils including amsoil

with no success, have approached my dealer about getting an 'I' basket and althought the

the 'I' basket number is good that they would have to get it from overseas and would cost

around $450-$500. with no guarantee that it would be the 'I' basket, and as been said by some that it didn't fix the chirp.

My request is does anyone have an 'I' basket available or can get hold of one and if so how much not including freight that would make it bit more financially better to risk.

I read on a post from some time back I think from Kit with 'crickett' that he had the 'I' basket fitted but then fitted another which cured the chirp, was the 2nd basket fitted another

'I' basket?

Would be thankfull for any help.

Alan (from Adelaide Sth Australia):fingers-crossed-emo

Sounds like he is giving you the run around. First of all, the clutch basket retails for about 250.00 and you can pick them up online for about 175.00.

The second thing, is your bike still under warranty? If so, this should be a warranty issue. Many here have had them changed out under warranty.

Third, it's crazy that he is telling you that when it comes in, it may not be an "I" basket. There is a specific part number for the "I" basket.

He is correct in that it may or may not correct the problem but the majority of people have seen some improvement to a LOT of improvement.

I ride with some HD riders, with very loud pipes. They used to ask me if I had a turbo, or blower on my rsv! I had the dealer install the "I" basket, and now they can't even hear my V-4 at all. It removed at least 70% of the chirp. (maybe 90%) So, check the part #'s B-4 letting the stealer do the work! Gud luck!:fingers-crossed-emo

the "I" basket helped my 07.........the official stance of yamaha as told to me by my dealer is that they will do one swap under warranty.......if you need more info, you can do a search on this site and , i believe, one of the posts actually has the technical bulletin from yamaha shown for this complaint.....

Hi everyone or should I say 'g'day'

thanks for your replies.

1st off in aussie we only get 2 yr warranty so well out of that,

have spent hours reading all the post on the subject, being a retired 'muckanic' just need to get an I basket and can do the work myself.

2nd'ly If you can give me the contact details to get the 'I' basket for around the $175.00 will get straight on to it so long as it is the 4XY-16150-09-00.

the bike has only just turned over 21k having purchased it last september with 17k on the clock, the chirp has probably been the reason why I have only done 4k as I could have doubled that without much trouble. nothing on the market to equal this machine, bought a '97 rstclassic in may last year and road it back from melbourne (actually 80km sth of melb.) in the day and was so impressed that I sold that and bought the 06 rstd. having had

mostly sport tourers the last being a 06 FJR but could see the licence gathering points anyway, back to the I basket.

alan

Well, before I replied to your post, I did a quick search and those are the prices that I found at http://www.partshark.com

I didn't look anywhere else so they may be even cheaper elsewhere. The specific parts number for the I basket has been posted here before but I don't have it handy. Maybe your search found it or somebody else will join in and post it here.

While you're in there changing the basket, you might want to consider skydoc_17's spring upgrade kit. I have appx 34,000 kilometers on my '06 and I noticed the clutch slipping on a high-rev powershift from 3rd to 4th the other day. The fix (his kit) is enroute to me now.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2905&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Hi everyone

before I order the clutch basket has anyone actually ordered a 4XY-16150-09-00 from the

http://www.partshark.com/custompage.asp?pg=yamahaparts

and recieved that exact part and being an 'I' clutch basket, sorry about being so particular but adelaide is along way from USA. and like they say in the carpentry world measure twice cut once.

thanks, alan

Hi everyone

before I order the clutch basket has anyone actually ordered a 4XY-16150-09-00 from the

http://www.partshark.com/custompage.asp?pg=yamahaparts

and recieved that exact part and being an 'I' clutch basket, sorry about being so particular but adelaide is along way from USA. and like they say in the carpentry world measure twice cut once.

thanks, alan

I can definitely understand wanting to get the right part right away. I just posted the number that has been put up on the forum by people who actually ordered and got the "I" basket. This is the number that they posted... two different people.

I can NOT say for sure if this is the number that will definitely, with-out a doubt, get you the I basket so, better safe than sorry, you might want to wait for someone to come along and say they definitely got the "I" basket when ordering with that part number.

However, after looking at the parts list for your bike and a Venture of the same year, the "primary driven gear" listed for your bike and the Venture was 26H-16150-10-00 .

So it is a totally different number than the stock part.

You may want to start another thread with a more specific title to get the people who have ordered the clutch baskets attention. Something like ""I" clutch basket Number" or something like that.

Good luck!! :thumbsup2:

Edited by gibvel

thanks for those replies will also do the clutch spring upgrade as well while I am at it. thanks for the assistance fantastic site/forum and members.

cheers alan:301:

Check on the gasket for the cover. When the dealer changed mine out he forgot to order a gasket and had to wait another week to get it out of the shop. From what he told me it wasn't reusable.

Thanks everyone, 4XY- ordered and clutch up grade kit ordered just have to wait

to be delivered,:fingers-crossed-emo fantastic weather here at the moment mid 20's deg. (cel.) and wearing and ear plug so I don't miss out, been out for several day runs already over the last week with a pilion.

sorry if i make you envious, but thats life in Adelaide. hope you all have good weather soon.

Alan

'The happiest of people don't necessarily

have the best of everything;

They just make the most of everything they have.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone

well I fitted the new "I" basket today, with the skydoc clutch upgrade kit, but a week and half ago tried the motokote additive had done about three runs of about 100-130kms. but had not made any difference to the chirp at that stage, but after a short ride tonight there was a big improvement in the reduction of the chirp of about 80=85%. I rode with the worst case scenerio - open face helmet, windshield, and no earplug, before today it was unbearable to listen to, but tonight I just didn't want to get off, absolutely magic, if it stays like this I will be more than happy a little vegemite, a big thankyou to all that assisted with info and the tips.

Happy Easter to all, and ride safe

I know that it will be for me

Alan:301:

hi everyone

well I fitted the new "I" basket today, with the skydoc clutch upgrade kit, but a week and half ago tried the motokote additive had done about three runs of about 100-130kms. but had not made any difference to the chirp at that stage, but after a short ride tonight there was a big improvement in the reduction of the chirp of about 80=85%. I rode with the worst case scenerio - open face helmet, windshield, and no earplug, before today it was unbearable to listen to, but tonight I just didn't want to get off, absolutely magic, if it stays like this I will be more than happy a little vegemite, a big thankyou to all that assisted with info and the tips.

Happy Easter to all, and ride safe

I know that it will be for me

Alan:301:

Awesome, mate!!! Hope you have found your answer.

Oh....and please keep all that vegemite as far away from me as possible! If I want to eat something that tastes that bad, I'll just go dig around in the landfill. :rasberry:;)