IGNORED

Outdoor cover options until my garage gets built

dz

Well, I purchased my first 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale, but the problem is I can't cram it into the shed with my other bikes lol. So, until my garage gets built (probably another year) I need a durable cover to withstand the elements (all year long). What covers do you guys have (I know most of you probably have garages or larger sheds).

Actually, if you lok on ebay, you can gwet a cover to fit from China for less than $20 and they work!!

Other than that, if you have the room, maybe you can either put up a camping tent or one of those flea market gazebos. That way you will have a little room to work under it!

Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask questions!! It may take some time and a little money, but when you are done you will have one heck of a nice bike!!!!!

Bongo, neighbors already hate me, no makeshift gazebos or tents lol. I'm in a suburban setting with about an acre. I already have a 1973 plymouth fury suburban station wagon in the driveway that I'm working on when I get the chance, which didn't go over well with the wife or neighbors, and it came from the neighbor right across the street. When I get the garage built I can hide everything in there. Not that my yard is a mess I just don't like stuff out of proportion. Those chinese $20 covers actually work?

It worked for me! I also have a little more expensive and dourable cover for the '84, bought the Chinese cover for the RSV before it became a trike, and it served the purpose for the money. Ended up giving it to a local member after triking. If you have a rainstorm, it's a good idea to uncover the same as any cover to let them breathe as they will allow some moisture thru.

Other members have also used those cheepies and they do serve the protection just as good as one for 80 mbucks or more. Of course you can spring a couple hundred for one of those collapsible "iglo" types, but don't expecxt them to hold up over winter...

Does that Fury have the 318 or the 383???

Bongo,

My fury has the special order 400 big block and automatic 727 trans. Only has a two barrel holly feeding all those cubes :confused24: Best part about the car is its mostly all original numbers matching. I even have all four hub caps. She needs some rust work but hey what 35+ year old car doesn't?

I bought a heavy-duty GUARDIAN cover on e-bay. My 83VR had to spend the winter this year under the awning with the cover on. Two weeks ago we had two days nice enough to take the cover off and ride before the cold and snow hit again. Bike was just fine. I think they were asking $75.00 for it but had a "offer" space so I offered $50.00 and they excepted it. Have no regrets.

It worked for me! I also have a little more expensive and dourable cover for the '84, bought the Chinese cover for the RSV before it became a trike, and it served the purpose for the money. Ended up giving it to a local member after triking. If you have a rainstorm, it's a good idea to uncover the same as any cover to let them breathe as they will allow some moisture thru.

Other members have also used those cheepies and they do serve the protection just as good as one for 80 mbucks or more. Of course you can spring a couple hundred for one of those collapsible "iglo" types, but don't expecxt them to hold up over winter...

Does that Fury have the 318 or the 383???

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Don't expect them to last forever. You get about a year out of these and they rot til wind tears them apart.

Well, I purchased my first 1989 Yamaha Venture Royale, but the problem is I can't cram it into the shed with my other bikes lol. So, until my garage gets built (probably another year) I need a durable cover to withstand the elements (all year long). What covers do you guys have (I know most of you probably have garages or larger sheds).

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002LIXHYK/ref=asc_df_B002LIXHYK1478004/?tag=prontocom13214-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B002LIXHYK&linkCode=asn]Amazon.com: Speed - Way® Retractable Standard Motorcycle / ATV Shelter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4191VridXVL.@@AMEPARAM@@4191VridXVL[/ame]

Any guy can prolly use a trailer to haul stuff around, but it also doubles as my garage for my 85 VR. its easy to ride in and out with a good wheel chock mounted. It would also give you more space to hide those car parts inside as well so your wife doesnt see how many youve got....:confused24:

Brian.

Newguy,

Ouch the price on that shelter stings a little. Looks like it would work very well though.

Friesman1,

I have a light duty open 5x12 trailer, considered buying an enclosed trailer before this one but I only had a light truck to pull it. I've since got a better SUV but money isn't what it used to be at the moment. My wife likes to investigate and chat it up with me when I'm working outside so she always knows exactly what I have, I like to keep it honest too.

ic23b,

My bike will be completely exposed to the elements, no overhang of any sorts. How do you think that cover would work to sunlight and rain?

Ha Ha only half of my bike fits under the awning. I've had this cover for almost two years and have never had a problem with it. It's snow and ice covered now. It is the heavy duty model made by Guardian Covers. Like I said I have no complaints.

Because I don't have a garage... that has room... I have probably bought and 'killed' more covers than anyone, and the best I've found for long term protection are Cycle Shak's. They're heavy cotton duck and shed water like one. They also have a 5 year warantee. However, this winter I picked up a couple of covers from China off Ebay to give them a try. I've bought Chinese in the past but the quality wasn't all that good. They made better overnighters than anything for weather protection. Recently, If you look closely at the listings, they started putting out an 'All Weather' cover. So I figured what the heck and bought two. The material is a bit heavier that the older covers, and surprise... they shed water as well as the Cycle Shak's. For winter time protection they are working very well. I just put them over a couple of other marginal covers, and if any water gets through we're all in trouble. The big factor in a cover degrading is UV. Those black covers turn gray by the end of the summer. But for $20 bucks...who cares.. :)

Actually, if you lok on ebay, you can gwet a cover to fit from China for less than $20 and they work!!

Other than that, if you have the room, maybe you can either put up a camping tent or one of those flea market gazebos. That way you will have a little room to work under it!

Keep us posted on your progress and don't be afraid to ask questions!! It may take some time and a little money, but when you are done you will have one heck of a nice bike!!!!!

Man! That's a big cover to fit from China to here.

When we first got down here to San Antonio I bought one of the Costco carports. About a hundred and a half I think they go for. Has sides and everything. 10x20 or something like that. took 8 cement blocks, filled them with concrete and put L bolts in using the feet for the pattern. Its never blown anywhere or moved. The canvas is finally starting to dry rot after 4 years.

When we first got down here to San Antonio I bought one of the Costco carports. About a hundred and a half I think they go for. Has sides and everything. 10x20 or something like that. took 8 cement blocks, filled them with concrete and put L bolts in using the feet for the pattern. Its never blown anywhere or moved. The canvas is finally starting to dry rot after 4 years.

Yep... We bought one of those 10x20's about 10 years ago. Cost about $200 bucks from Sam's. The only thing left is the roof. All the sides have shreaded. It didn't prove to be very wind resistant. Still $20 per year is pretty cheap..... I still use bike covers, and with 6 scoots those folding porta-garages are out of the question..... :mo money:

Just replace them yearly... I tried to stretch mine to two years... the end of the second year I had rips in it from the sun baking the cover hard and making it brittle... It's a reminder as to why I cover my bike all the time.