IGNORED

removing gas tank on a '88 venture

I'm new to the form..I have a 1988 Ventuer Royale that has been sitting for the last 5 years. Before I try starting it I would like to remove the gas tank & clean it out & replace the fuel lines. Can anyone help me out on how to do this? Also any other suggestions on what to check on this bike would be helpful. Would like to have it up & going in time for the Rally!!!! Thanx everyone:Venture:

First thing. Welcome to the site!

Second thing. Pics!

Now, you can download a service manual here:

http://labs.trunkful.com/vrmanuals/firstgenmanual.pdf

It should give you the info you need to remove the tank. There are some good threads on the site that talk about cleaning and coating the inside of the tank that you can search for.

Once you have it put back together, run a good dose of Sea-Foam through the system.

Glad to have you here and look forward to meeting you at the Rally!!

Dave

Let me try again. I posted this once and hit wrong button. No coffee yet!!

You will have to remove the rear frame to get tank out. Not as bad as it sounds don't let that scare you off. There is a good description of it in the manual. Welcome to the site. The 12 bucks here will be the best deal you will get in maintaining that 1st Gen.

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the site! If you pony up the $12.00 for membership, you can download the MKII VR repair manual, which is cheaper than purchasing the manual from a source like Ebay! The entire rear sub-frame must be removed, to remove the gas tank. It is not a fun job. I'm not saying that I have NEVER heard of a VR owner that has had to remove a fouled gas tank BUT, before I did all that work, I would remove the seat, remove the fuel sending unit, LOOK in the tank with a flashlight for rust, drain the tank, and LOOK again. I would also remove the fuel filter on the left side of the bike, and cut it open, looking for rust in the filter. You will most likely find that a fresh fuel filter, and fresh gas will be all that is needed to fire this baby up. If in fact you do see a bunch of rust in the tank, the removal of the sending unit and filter would have been things that you would need to do anyway, so there was no unneeded extra work done. I have attached a pic of the location of the fuel filter, when you remove the seat, you can't miss the fuel sending unit. You will need a new gasket for the reinstall of the sending unit. The removal of the fuel lines is another thing the Maint. Manual would be great for. A few of the fuel lines are moulded to make tight turns, and best replaced with Yamaha replacements. The main feed line can be replaced with standard fuel line, but will require removal of the air box, the fuel pump, and "the hands of a 10 year old boy"! :crackup:This is ALL still easier than removing the entire rear of this motorcycle, so start checking things out, and post again when you have more info on the condition of the fuel system.

Again, welcome to the site, you are among friends! :thumbsup2:

Earl

On the 88 getting the luggage off is have the job. Never say never Earl. I had to pull the tank on the "Blue Beast" way back when. Don't think I knew about this site then. Pulled it and washed a bunch of rust and I don't know what out of it and put it back. A couple weeks later it started leaking out the bottom. Rusted clear thru!!! Don't let this scare you off Bob. Its not that big a job. As I said pulling your luggage and keeping track of all those spacers and everything is 1/2 the job or better. Even if tank is shot they can be had on E-Bay pretty often. I was lucky and got one that looked new inside. But as Earl said check your fuel flow first. IF YOUR FUEL FLOW IS GOOD Replace the filter and add some Sea-Foam. Everybody does Sea-Foam different I think but in your case I would make a mix of about 1/2 Sea-Foam and 1/2 fresh gas. Pull the line from rear of fuel pump and use a extra piece of line is the easy way but run this mixture into it til you are sure carbs are full of it. Leave sit at least overnight and be prepared to maybe have to replace plugs. Crap it pulls loose in there may foul them. It will smoke, hack and cough when you fire it up but should get better. Keep some Sea-Foam in it for a while

Yep, Pulling the rear sub frame is the way to go. Saves a lot of time as you can leave a lot of parts mounted on the subframe intact by removing the entire assembly.

It's not as bad a job to do as it seems. Once you find the mounting points for the subframe you will see what I mean.

But as stated pull the sending unit and take a good look at the inside before commiting to pulling the tank. Check the petcock pickup screens real good to. Mine had given out and was letting every flake of rust into the system. Nasty mess.

Make sure the tank is about half empty or better. It too full the fuel will be above the seal in the sending unit. Not cool.

Pulled my tank due to rust a couple years ago. Used a this product to treat and seal it.'

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

Great stuff.

Yell if ya got questions.

Mike

Rather than pulling the tank, just drain it first. Take the hose off the fuel pump and drain it through a coffee filter. If it's empty pour in about a gallon and slosh it around. Any rust in the dank will be evident in the filter. Then decide whether the tank needs to be pulled. If it looks rust free fill it up and add a can of Sea Foam to the mix and try to start it. Volatile carb cleaner sprayed down the carbs will usually get an engine to kick over.... If it coughs, stop and check oil and water and then see if it'll run...