IGNORED

Ok or not to take out thermostat?

hey guys i found this tip but not able to contact the writer to see if it worked or not?

"

Overheating Solution

Just want to pass a tip to Venture owners who have an overheating problem, especially in cities on hot days. I bought a 1983 Venture Royale which probably had two or three owners. One of them connected the t-fan to a manual switch which I thought was a good idea. But the temp needle would almost jump to red, even with the fan on. My problem is now solved. I took the tstat out and also found that the fan switch was incorrectly connected to the fan. Instead of bringing air to the engine it would run inversed and push the air through the radiator. Imagine! Now the needle never goes more than halfway on the temp gauge and with the fan on it will go down to just over 1/4. Please pass this message on the V-folks as it might help someone out with heating problems. Keep up the good work and thanks.

Norman Rémillard "

now my question is is it ok or not to run it without the thermo and do it this way,reason im looking and asking is,i live in st.pete florida always hot and in town stop and go traffic the gauge gets way up there 3/4 and a hair above if i sit to long with no real airflow,so i already have my fan switch hooked up so i can turn on for sure when needed,but what about it? no thermo make it run cooler or not? thnx in advance for any and all help. troy

Just replace your bad thermostat with a good one.

The engine is designed to run at a specific temp which is maintained by the t'stat.

It is OK to run with no t'stat for a roadside repair. running at the wrong temp will reduce engine life, and/or performance, and/or gas mileage.

I too would keep the right thermostat in the engine. Sounds like the problem in the first post was the wiring was reversed and causeing the fan to run backward. It would be trying to blow air toward the incoming air during travel.

I'm not a real big fan of bypassing the switch on the fan. It would probably be okay to hook up the switch so you could over ride the automatic switch if the engine was running hot, then if you forgot to turn it on or off there would be no danger of overheating.

My .02,

BOO

If you want to test the thermostat set the drain valve to on. It will bypass the thermo. However.... Most '83's run hot. Also if the drain valve is set to 'on' it will run hotter than it normally would with a good thermostat. When the temps outside get into the '90's it will always run about a needle width below red. On a cool morning it would run about a needle above the middle of the green. Flushing your coolant and adding new anti-freeze and a bit of 'water wetter' will help matters, but don't expect miracle's.

ok guys appreciate ur input i think i`ll just go with the above post and make the switch an overide in case its needed in the fiture.thnx for the advice as it is much appreciated,just got this monster and want it to last i love it :)

Just for information :)

It's never okay to run without a thermostat. If it were, the makers wouldn't have wasted the money!

In the short term, especially in summer, it won't hurt much, but in winter the motor will take longer to warm up to operating temp .... sometimes much longer.

The problem with that is that engines are designed to work best in a temp. range, and they do most of their wearing out when too cold. So wear would be potentially increased significantly, gas consumption would rise and the oil would take longer to be effective.

Hope this helps.

The Mark I's (83=85) came from the factory with the temperature guage showing just about to the end of the green (almost to the red) when the fan came on (215 degrees F I think I remember). In other words, it's normal to see the temperature gauge get almost to the red and hear the fan come on. This is NOT abnormally hot for a water cooled engine. With a 50-50 antifreeze/water mix and 15 PSI, the coolant won't boil until 265 degrees. When my 83 was approaching 80,000 miles, the engine had some crud on it from oil leaks over the years and when it was over 90 degrees, it'd be on the verge of the fan coming on running down the expressway at 65 MPH. When I pulled the engine apart to fix 2nd gear, of course I cleaned up the cases before I put it back together. The first 90 degree days, the gauge stayed about 2-3 needle widths lower. Make sure your engine (especially the bottom and front) are reasonably clean.

For the Mk II bikes, Yammie re-calibrated the temperature gauge so that it only shows about 3/4 of the way through the green when the fan comes on.

Put the thermostat back in (remember to switch on the thermostat bypass valve for a couple of minutes when you start it back up to get the air out of the engine) and don't worry about it...it's normal.

Frank

Make sure your engine (especially the bottom and front) are reasonably clean.

Frank

That's a good point Frank.... The engine pan has fins on it for a reason, and when caked with oil and road grime it looses it's ability to transfer heat and cool the oil. I've seen some pretty ugly pans..... It should be something cleaned regularly.

:cody

Edited by Condor