IGNORED

LED Driving or headlight

Yeah, Just Dale

. BTW- I did run down my battery by having driving lights on accidently with my vest. These 2 in combination appear to be too much for the electrical system. I was in a rain storm when the bike stopped running. Wasn't a couple minutes before a fellow biker came to my aid with his truck and gave me a jump. Was really great.

I know this subject has come up before but I'm bothered that all it took to drain the battery was a heated vest. Have heard the the RSV doesn't have the most robust electrical system.

I was in Daytona and saw a vendor selling LED running and headlights. Unfortunately can't find name (I thought I took a card) and it may have been only harley specific. Anyway, other discusions here about LED driving or headlights have talked about interference with radio or CB. This guy said he's never heard of that with his LED lights. They were not cheap - at least 400 bucks for a pair of driving lights but might be worth it to reduce the electrical draw and make a heated vest or jacket practical. Anyone know of LED driving lights out there that would fit the RSV and not interfere with radio?

I know this subject has come up before but I'm bothered that all it took to drain the battery was a heated vest. Have heard the the RSV doesn't have the most robust electrical system.

I was in Daytona and saw a vendor selling LED running and headlights. Unfortunately can't find name (I thought I took a card) and it may have been only harley specific. Anyway, other discusions here about LED driving or headlights have talked about interference with radio or CB. This guy said he's never heard of that with his LED lights. They were not cheap - at least 400 bucks for a pair of driving lights but might be worth it to reduce the electrical draw and make a heated vest or jacket practical. Anyone know of LED driving lights out there that would fit the RSV and not interfere with radio?

A decent LED battery monitor would warn you that the battery was getting low long before it had insufficient power to run the ignition system.

At that point, simply switching something off would re-charge the battery.

HID headlamps consume half the power of halogens .... and don't overlook tail lights and instrument lights. You can save significant amounts of power draw by replacing these with LEDs.

A decent LED battery monitor would warn you that the battery was getting low long before it had insufficient power to run the ignition system.

At that point, simply switching something off would re-charge the battery.

HID headlamps consume half the power of halogens .... and don't overlook tail lights and instrument lights. You can save significant amounts of power draw by replacing these with LEDs.

Wow. Always thought HID were bigger energy draws. Yeah, looking into tail lights and turn signals. Would like to be able to power a heated jacket without having to worry about draining battery. Other bike is a Valkyrie and it has true alternator that produces way more power than needed.

Wow. Always thought HID were bigger energy draws. Yeah, looking into tail lights and turn signals. Would like to be able to power a heated jacket without having to worry about draining battery. Other bike is a Valkyrie and it has true alternator that produces way more power than needed.

Standard instrument bulbs draw about 3W each, and there are hundreds of them :)

Replacing six nets you enough for a pair of heated gloves on low. Tail lights are bigger, the savings greater.

HID Headlights consume less than two thirds of the power draw of a halogen, for about 3x the light output.

Not all HIDs are the same ..... pay for the good ones because bulb placement is absolutely critical.

I went from KC to Daytona on my bike for bike week also. Had a heated jacket. It worked great, but if I used my driving lights it drained my battery and I got stuck on the side of the road. Don't have a volt meter yet. I understand your pain. I had LED turn signals but the turn signal cancel did not work and that is a safety issue for me. I have LED tail light. I think the only way to get the load down low enough is to change the driving lights and or headlight. That jacket is awesome though. I can ride in lower temps than I feel safe (Below 32).

Good luck. Would like to hear what you end up doing.

Bob

First thing: think about adding this to your bike. Well worth the cost for some peace of mind...http://www.argusanalyzers.com/battery-monitors/products/bb-sbm12ps-battery-bug-battery-monitor-argus-analyzers.html

The HID light will reduce your current draw. I have the hID from canadian cruiser customizing and im also running LED driving lights but be warned. Most here have had radio static issues with these driving lights. Seaking may have found a solution to the static though.

Another possible solution is to install the High Output stator from http://www.buckeyeperformance.com I have had mine for several years now and im quite happy. I know your bike is a 2009 so maybe just adding those power reducing lights will be sufficient. At least that Argus Battery moniter will give you a sufficient heads up if the battery is going to fail.

I got custom dynamics's led headlight for my rstd and really like it....no worries of a headlight burning out (though it could go out). Tested it the other night and was pleased with the light output. I just need to get it side by side with a standard h4 to really see how much of a difference. Just driving in traffic halogen, car lights really looked yellow n dim compared to the white light.

I have an 02 RSMV and ride with a heated jacket and gloves. I always turn off the passing lights when I run any heated items. The jacket pulls the most but I can change the temp with the remote. The gloves could run forever and not pull down the system. I also have all LED turn, mark, and brake lights. This bieng said I only run the jacket when needed. The gloves I keep on most of the time below 32 degrees. I do not believe in the high output stators since they only put out marginally more and tend to have sealing problems.

:farmer:

I got custom dynamics's led headlight for my rstd and really like it....no worries of a headlight burning out (though it could go out). Tested it the other night and was pleased with the light output. I just need to get it side by side with a standard h4 to really see how much of a difference. Just driving in traffic halogen, car lights really looked yellow n dim compared to the white light.

I have installed the led head lite and led driving lites in one our hds , they are very bright and i wish i could get one for my 1st gen , for driving lites custom dynamic's led sun spots are great , all you have to do is remove the bulbs , install 2 taps and slip in the leds , thats it , about ten min.

the hard part they are a 119.00 each ! I,ll get some pic's of the hd with them on .

if anybody buys a set from custom dynamic or us come by any of the shows I'm working and I'll install them for you free ,

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more info on this, but I ordered a set of LED driving lights that were around $40 each. I am sad to say that I cannot remember the site I ordered them from. The name "Green Boat" comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

I have not installed them yet, but they are direct replacements for our regular bulbs.. Several in here have done this and are happy with the results. I am going to get mine in while I'm home this time and see if I can't get some use out of them..

I also agree with using the LED brake lights and turn signals from Custom Dynamics, www.customdynamics.com. They work great and are much more visible than an regular bulb.:mo money:

Good Luck :thumbsup2: