IGNORED

Looking for better handleing

Guest RichG

Guest RichG

I have owned this Venture for only about 10 months now and I love the bike. One thing I noticed was that my Honda Sabre was more fun to ride around town than the Venture but it was only a little quicker and more nimble

Well I sold the Sabre and bought a CBR1100xx which I have been riding for about a month. A couple of days ago I pulled out the Venture to run it around a little because it had been setting. OMG!.....It was scary! It felt like a bus (a big yellow one). :confused07:

Now I don't need it to respond or handle like the Blackbird but it was a job just getting it to corner and stop.

So:

Is there some way to get the brakes to be more responsive?

Is there some way to lower it an inch or two on both ends?

Thanks; please don't flame me because I want more. Because I'm sure this bike will do more. And NO I don't want another bike.

Rich

http://www.diamondraccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PLST&Store_Code=DRA for leveling links and as for the front alot of guys lower the forks i am sure somebody can tell you how to do that myself i have the links plus i am six feet tall and and at stop lights i am flat footed. As for the brakes i think the back ones are a little to responsive locks up if you hit them to hard to fast. good luck with your problem

Guest RichG

Thanks, that's good info.

So I don't need to bother with the back just the front brakes. I sould be able to figure something out there.

Since it appears that raising the back end will make it handle better (change the rake and trail) I think I will try slipping the forks first to maybe accomplish the same thing. I did it to my Sabre once and it made it react to counter steer quicker.

Keep in mind that on the rear brakes, on some of these bikes, the inside pad wears much quicker than the outer pad.....pop off the inspection cover, grab a mirror and check it out....it may be an issue.

The levelling links help for low speed handling....and for more throttle response you might want to throw in a new ignition module....I put a Dyna in mine, they run a couple of hundred bucks, made a huge difference.....then you can take it a step further and get a V-max rear end installed......

There's lots you can do, depends on what you want and how many $$$$ you want to spend. The above mentioned fixes are all easily do it yourself type things, and I'm sure that some of the true "gurus" on this site will pipe in with other things you can do.

gunk:shock3:

Its a long wheelbase. You're not going to change that.

The tires do make a difference. When I went from the stock Bridgestones to Avon Venoms with a narrower front tire, the handling improved noticeably on my RSTD. My RSTD is easier to handle than my Venture, so taking off a little top weight, and the narrow front tire seem to help in that regard.

But neither of these bikes are going to be as nimble as my 500lb Triumph.

Since it appears that raising the back end will make it handle better (change the rake and trail) I think I will try slipping the forks first to maybe accomplish the same thing. I did it to my Sabre once and it made it react to counter steer quicker.

I've not tried slipping the front forks but have installed the levelling links and from my experience with that, it was fairly easy. I'd "think" it'd be easier than the forks.

Guest RichG

Thanks, I'll look at them.

A little more power on the Yama overall would be nice. Will the kit do this?

What will a Vmax rear do? I don't need anymore R's when on the road. I wish it had a 6th gear already.

The Blackbird handles all the need4speed I've got pluse some. So the Yama can be a comfortable bike. It was just disconcerting when I pulled the front brake and it just kept on rolling.

What good will result from changing the front calipers if you can already lock the front wheel with the existing front calipers? :stirthepot:

I understand that reduced brake lever pressure will be required with four piston calipers, but I don't see how that would decrease stopping distance, only rider effort.

What good will result from changing the front calipers if you can already lock the front wheel with the existing front calipers? :stirthepot:

I understand that reduced brake lever pressure will be required with four piston calipers, but I don't see how that would decrease stopping distance, only rider effort.

You took the text right off my fingertips ....

Guest RichG

The lever needs to be more sensitive.

Actually when you have properly applied the brakes, you can't lock the front wheel, it's got too much weight on the front tire. A sport bike will damn near throw you over bars.

Guest RichG
So, if I understand correctly, replacing the calipers will not decrease stopping distance, just rider effort?

That can only be detirmined by trial but generally it will decrease distance and make it "feel" safer.

That can only be detirmined by trial but generally it will decrease distance and make it "feel" safer.

Okay. I don't mean to belabor the issue, but when the braking system can already dissipate more than enough energy to lock the front wheel; I'm trying to wrap my feeble mind around the benefit of being able to dissipate even more energy.

I can certainly understand the difference in braking effort you must be experiencing when changing from your CBR to your Venture.

Your inseam will determine wheather you want to lower the front an inch or install leveling links (raise the rear an inch). Either will make a difference in the low speed handling. As previously mentioned if the bike has Brickstone tires on it, replacing them with almost anything will improve the handling.

Also, low air pressure will make it handle like a dog too.

It will not decrease the distance you need to stop, it will make it easier to lock up the front wheel.. Just switch from using two fingers on the front brake to using three. I have no problem stopping. And prior to the Venture I road a ZR7S and a 750 Ninja. It would be different if like the other brand big bikes, this thing had ABS, but as it is too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.

+1 on the smaller front tire, I switched from the stock 150 front to an Avon MT90B (130) and while it still doesn't fall into corners like the Ninja did, it no longer fights cornering either, much more neutral.

Guest RichG
Okay. I don't mean to belabor the issue, but when the braking system can already dissipate more than enough energy to lock the front wheel; I'm trying to wrap my feeble mind around the benefit of being able to dissipate even more energy.

I can certainly understand the difference in braking effort you must be experiencing when changing from your CBR to your Venture.

Ok, does this bike have the unfortunate attribute of not shifting weight forward when the brakes are applied? I did not know that. If it does stop the front wheel, except on gravel or sand or snot :), I mean on a good surface you should be able to apply back brake and almost immediatly start pulling on the front. When you do the weight is shifted to the front wheel, almost 1,000 lbs with a rider. You should not be able to lock the front wheel. If you can then it's a design flaw as far as I know.

Has a sliding front tire been experianced by some Venture riders?

Guest RichG

On the other hand the lack of brakeing may be just a problem with my bike. I should probably take it to a Yama shop and have them check it.

Ok, does this bike have the unfortunate attribute of not shifting weight forward when the brakes are applied? I did not know that. If it does stop the front wheel, except on gravel or sand or snot :), I mean on a good surface you should be able to apply back brake and almost immediatly start pulling on the front. When you do the weight is shifted to the front wheel, almost 1,000 lbs with a rider. You should not be able to lock the front wheel. If you can then it's a design flaw as far as I know.

Has a sliding front tire been experianced by some Venture riders?

Maybe I've missed something over all the years I've ridden, but I've always been able to lock the front wheel on good pavement if I wanted to do so. Obviously, this isn't a recommended practice as a bike with a locked front wheel goes down very quickly and violently. I've never been able to get a street motorcycle to lift the rear wheel like the stunt riders I've seen. I used to do that on a bicycle in my youth, but that was a very long time ago.

I think the Venture has good brakes and stops very well for a machine that often weighs 1200 pounds. I would gladly improve my brakes if doing so would shorten my stopping distance as that would be a significant safety improvement.

I just got done with the R1/R6 four piston caliper conversion today, and after having ridden only a few miles (for sure not enough to even break in the new pads) I can say these calipers are going to improve braking and brake "feel" by 200 %.

My scoot has never stopped well since I've had it. I've suspected a bad/sticky front piston for a while and after pulling the front calipers off have found "some" evidence to support this. Where a hard stop in the past would require heavy pressure on the lever, the new brake set up requires only a one or two finger approach. I'm really going to have to pay attention to braking until I get used to this new feel.

Even with my limited (so far) experience with these brakes, I think the four piston calipers are worth using. Of course the caveat is that including the new pads I've only got $100 into the whole set up. I got a great deal on a set of like new calipers on Ebay, and I'm still using the stock rubber brake lines.

Maybe I've missed something over all the years I've ridden, but I've always been able to lock the front wheel on good pavement if I wanted to do so. Obviously, this isn't a recommended practice as a bike with a locked front wheel goes down very quickly and violently. I've never been able to get a street motorcycle to lift the rear wheel like the stunt riders I've seen. I used to do that on a bicycle in my youth, but that was a very long time ago.

I think the Venture has good brakes and stops very well for a machine that often weighs 1200 pounds. I would gladly improve my brakes if doing so would shorten my stopping distance as that would be a significant safety improvement.

As far as I'm concerned, you should NEVER want to lock up the front wheel of any bike, even though it's possible on some bikes within difference riding conditions and road surfaces. As soon as you lock your front wheels, you've lost ALL control of your bike! If you lock your rear wheel, that's another story, you can still steer your bike. But lock that front and you're most likely going to kiss some pavement or lose the ability to control your bike.

Any safety course will teach you that if you do an emergency braking maneuver and you find your rear break locked, not to worry about it too much.. however, if you find your front brake locked, ease up and reapply brake again.

Its like ABS braking on winter roads.. as long as the wheels can turn, you can steer the vehicle.. if the wheels lock up, you're sliding into something.

My RSV used to nose dive hard when I put on a lot of front brake due to the shocks were in need of servicing.. I've since then put in progressive springs and synthetic oil in the forks and the bike doesn't nose dive anymore, and I find my braking a lot more effective and less scary on this bike, having better weight shift control.. Remember, as the weight of the bike transfers over to the front wheel in a nose dive, the rear wheel gets lighter, thus losing contact with the surface of the road and then skidding / sliding.

I put on black SS braided lines on the front brakes but left the rubber oem hose on the back to avoid inadvertent locking of the rear brakes. I have also installed HH Sintered pads on the front and back and they are lasting a long time and wearing evenly. The rear pads, with over 30,000 miles on them are very close to the same thickness.. the inner one being ever so slightly worn down more so I swapped them around to get more life out of them.

Handling on this bike is a pig, it's a large heavy bike, so it won't toss around like a little cruiser bike.. but with leveling links, proper tire pressure, riding the clutch, dragging the rear brakes slow riding techniques, this big bike will handle the parking lots with ease, without the rider needing to do the classic HD Duck Walk ;)

but that's just me...

Guest PlaneCrazy

I've found the Venture too easy to lock on the rear wheel and had a few scary stops the first month I owned it. I think it's because the soft front suspension shifts the weight forward too easily on hard stops. I had that problem with one of my Shadows as well and what i did them was switch to progressive springs in the forks. It made a world of difference on my Shadow making me much more comfortable using more front brake and less rear and allowed me to be a lot more aggressive in twisties.

I haven't done all the research on the Venture yet, but I have read some people who installed upgraded front suspensions and it may be something I will look at in the future.

If there's one feature I wish I could have on the Venture, it would be linked ABS brakes.