IGNORED

Kick stand too long?

'91 Venture Royal. Stupid thing stands almost straight up when its on the kick stand. Makes it kinda difficult to put the stand up with a passenger aboard 'cause I have to lean the bike to the right.

I took the stand off and used a grinder to flatten the foot. Apparently the mold is shaped so the foot has a "peak" at the mold line. This gave the bike a little lean, but not as much as I'd like.

Question is, is this an inherent design characteristic, or is the stand too long. HINT: The stand was replaced by the pervious owner.

Thanks!

Y'All ride safe....

'91 Venture Royal. Stupid thing stands almost straight up when its on the kick stand. Makes it kinda difficult to put the stand up with a passenger aboard 'cause I have to lean the bike to the right.

I took the stand off and used a grinder to flatten the foot. Apparently the mold is shaped so the foot has a "peak" at the mold line. This gave the bike a little lean, but not as much as I'd like.

Question is, is this an inherent design characteristic, or is the stand too long. HINT: The stand was replaced by the pervious owner.

Thanks!

Y'All ride safe....

Cliff, If you're runing low pressures in you CLASS the bike will stand up straighter. Also if the tires you're running are low in pressure or undersized sidewalls it does the same thing.

:cody

Condor:

Tires are properly inflated, and I played with the CASS settings before I broke out the grinder.... I've never had a bike that doesn't lean when its on the kick stand....

This is the first time I've heard where those suggestions didn't work to develope an acceptable lean. I still don't think it's the side stand. Could a previous owner installed a lowering kit?? How much travel do you have in the front forks?? How hard is it to get the bike on the center stand. A lowered bike is next to impossible. I have a '91 that has a slow leak in the rear tire. When it's enflated to max side wall it's no problem getting it on the CS, but if it looses 10-15psi from sitting it's next to impossible. And before we go there guys, I'm very aware of all the techniques to get a 1stGen on the CT.

This is the first time I've heard where those suggestions didn't work to develope an acceptable lean. I still don't think it's the side stand. Could a previous owner installed a lowering kit?? How much travel do you have in the front forks?? How hard is it to get the bike on the center stand. A lowered bike is next to impossible. I have a '91 that has a slow leak in the rear tire. When it's enflated to max side wall it's no problem getting it on the CS, but if it looses 10-15psi from sitting it's next to impossible. And before we go there guys, I'm very aware of all the techniques to get a 1stGen on the CT.

:sign yeah that:

My experience is that when my rear shock is low on air, getting it on the center stand is a real chore. I had a flat tire last November (rear) and it was worse. Two friends had to help lift it on the center stand. With 30 - 50 lbs of air and the E3 tire properly inflated it slides on the stand without much effort.

My side stand actually seems a little short with the shock and tire aired up!

Look at the fork position in the top triple tree. Mine has the fork leg flush with the top of the tree.

My side stand measures 10.25" from top of pivot bolt to tip.

Yep, When I put the '83 on the side stand it'd lean over so far it scared the 'H' out of me. I'd have to double check to make sure it was actually down.... :) You could definately spot it in a group.... :whistling:

Cliff, If you're runing low pressures in you CLASS the bike will stand up straighter. Also if the tires you're running are low in pressure or undersized sidewalls it does the same thing.

Also if the stock fork springs are still in there, it will not have as much lean as well.

When I put progressives in the 83, it raised the front end by 3 inches, increasing the sidestand lean.

:2cents:

Isn't it better to keep them on the center stand to keep the floats sitting level?

I really don't think there is a float issue with the bike on the side stand. There can be an issue with the side stand sinking into the ground, or hot asphalt, and falling over. :shock3:

I generally put the side stand down, get off, then put it on the center stand.

Also if the stock fork springs are still in there, it will not have as much lean as well.

When I put progressives in the 83, it raised the front end by 3 inches, increasing the sidestand lean.

:2cents:

This could be the real answer to OldGazer's original question.

My VR has Progressive Springs installed and I bet Condor does too :detective:

Besides the bottoming issue, it might be an indication that your front springs are over the hill, letting the bike settle too low. I put Progressives in mine and then the lean angle was horrendous so I took out the plastic "preload" and she now sits with the "proper" lean.

I dont' think the bike has been lowered, but I really have no way of knowing. I'm the third owner, and the previous owner is (to be kind) mechanically challenged. What clues should I look for?

Since I don't have enough ass (I weigh in at 150# after a good meal), getting the bike on the center stand is impossible with out a helper....

As for the fork travel question, I suspect the forks could use some maintenance. At speed (say 70 to 80 MPH) the bike can get a little twichy, and hitting a bump can rattel my teeth....

One thing that may help get me on the right track is knowing what the stock ground clearance is supposed to be....

My experience is that when my rear shock is low on air, getting it on the center stand is a real chore. I had a flat tire last November (rear) and it was worse. Two friends had to help lift it on the center stand. With 30 - 50 lbs of air and the E3 tire properly inflated it slides on the stand without much effort.

Look at the fork position in the top triple tree. Mine has the fork leg flush with the top of the tree.

My side stand measures 10.25" from top of pivot bolt to tip.

My side stand length checks out. I'll check the forks in the morning before I tear into the water pump (Time for new seals....drip, drip, drip....).

Thanks for the tips....

Y'All Ride safe...

(I weigh in at 150# after a good meal), getting the bike on the center stand is impossible with out a helper....

It's all in the technique/strength and has very little to do with body weight or machine weight. I will allow as how the Venture is a little more difficult than others.

Cliff,

Your springs have lost all of their sag. You can help this situation out some by maxing out the air in both the front and rear, but you really need to replace both springs where Progressive still has a replacement spring for your rear shock as well as fork springs.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Thanks!

Y'All ride safe....

I checked the fork tubes and they are even with the top of the tree, so I'm good to go there.

I also checked on Progressive springs.... My wallet passed out, turned blue, and went limp....

I checked a local dealer's web site (Commonwealth Powersports) and new stock springs are about $63.00 each. Much better price, and seeing as how I'm a "stock kinda guy," I think I'll go that route this winter. In the mean time I'll just live with things as they are.

After I checked the suspension out I removed and resealed the water pump. Only thing I didn't have with me was a set of snap ring pliers.... (The bike is parked at my club prez's house next to his RS TD/Voyager Trike). Took me a little longer getting the pump apart, but so what.... The oil seal and the spring loaded main seal were toast. The ceramic seal looked OK, but I changed every thing, including the O-rings for the pump cover and the plastic connector pipe. Coolant system checks out fine, no runs, no drips, and no errors. Fan comes on at about the middle of the temp gage, and riding temps never got above the black line below mid-scale.... Sweet... Tomorrow is a riding day..... :cool10:

Thanks for the help fellas, and Y'All ride safe....

Not sure where you got a quote for progressive springs but they are cheaper than your stock replacements. I think they are about $90 per pair shipped to your door, but double check with skydoc on that. He has them for sale. Best of luck and enjoy the ride. Shaun

Your front springs are shot, i had the same problem, i think the progressive spring cost around 75 bucks and are well worth it.

Item # 11-1112 is $92.95. I must have clicked the wrong thing last night and came up with a price just shy of $500.00.....