IGNORED

take your pet along?

funrider

We have a bishon, maltis pup, he will be about a year and a half old by next summer, puppy play should have settled down some by that time.

My wife tells me that if we are going to take any overnight trips on the bike next year, we have to take our pup with. Do any of you take your pet with on the bike?

Any advise as to how to make it comfortable for him to ride and also as safe as possible. I have thought about a small pet carrier strapped on the trunk rack, but I feel it would be unfair to keep him penned up for an entire trip. We stop often, so he would be able to get drinks and run around. He loves to go with in the car and stick his head out the window, ears flapping in the wind. Would like to come up with a way for him to set on the tank and be leashed and harnessed there for some of the trip. Any Ideas welcome.

Thanks again.:fingers-crossed-emo

Let your little guy get some excercise. Tie his leash to the passenger grab rail and go. You may need to stop a little more often for water, but.....

Actually, you may want to look at a sidecar. I've thought of how fun it would be to take my puppy (St. Bernard - 150 lbs) along on a trip.

RR

This past summer I came across a couple who had a small dog that rode in a pack strapped to the top of the trunk. This pack had mesh sides and an opening that the dog could stick his head out as well as a safety strap on the inside.

Several years ago I met up with a couple who had a home-made box on their trunk...inside were 3 chihuahua's... they'd travelled from somewhere way down south of the border and I met them travelling between Calgary & Vancouver in the 3rd week of their trip.

One year I "let loose" on a guy who had is dog inside a regular dog "travel cage" which was sitting on a flatbed trailer he was towing behind his bike. I let loose because that poor dog was sitting there inhaling all the exhaust coming out of the guys bike as they were travelling.

However you decide to do it, don't forget to talk plenty on the cell phone while driving. Oh yes, why leave the TV behind, mount one on the handlebars.

Just please warn the rest of us when you and your pup are on the road so we can sit it out!:sick:

I have a 4.9 pound miniature chihuahua that loves to ride. I bought a rapid transit tank bag and it works out great. I leave the top of it folded back and put a couple of soft cloths or a dish towel in there to make it comfortable for her. Because its right in front of you,,you can allways keep an eye on her. She usually lays down and goes to sleep after about 10-15 minutes. The only time she wakes up is when I come to a stop and then she'll pop her head up and look around . I think this would be the cheapest and safest way to go. Plus the take bag is great any other time. I dont ever ride without it. Wallet,house keys,garage door opener,glasses,gloves,change,and it has a seperate pocket for cell phone. http://dsc03274

In my college days, I rode an Suzuki enduro bike. It was our second vehicle for several years. Commuted to college, work, and visiting friends & family. On occasion, I had to transport my cocker spaniel when the Suzuki was my only means of transportation. I used a standard backpack, with her head sticking out of the top, zipped up tight around her neck. I put her in front of me, so she got the wind in her face. We never rode more than 30 miles one way, but she really enjoyed it.

Caution: you'll need a faceshield if you try this; dogs drool a lot, and you're downwind.

At a scooter rally this summer, a couple of riders had their yorkies along the ride. They used a custom backpack similar to what I used, but it resembled a baby carrier. Seemed to work for them.