IGNORED

Ideas for adding a CB

Flyinfool

I have an '88, 1st gen Venture standard.

It did not come from yamy with any sound system.

The PO installed a car stereo in the left side of the faring. It is one of the old fashioned ones that mounts in a a rectangular hole with a shaft hole on each side.

OK, that is where I am starting from.

None of the wiring is present to install the factory stereo and CB.

What would be a good CB to put on a bike and where would be a good place to mount it?

I am sure that at some point it will get rained on. I would like to be able to adjust the controls while riding.

I am not totally opposed to replacing the current stereo as part of this.

I'm wide open for ideas.

Honestly Jeff, what are you gonna do with a CB??

Mine has one. A couple time I rode in a group, and it was kinda handy to know when the next turn was.

Otherwise, I've tried using it on the Big roads a few times, just to hear the truckers as to why the traffic is stopped in the middle of knowwhere on a sunny day. Truckers seem to be on the phone more than the CB now, so I almost never even bother to turn it on.

Just my :2cents: , Scooter Bob

Mine has one. A couple time I rode in a group, and it was kinda handy to know when the next turn was.

Otherwise, I've tried using it on the Big roads a few times, just to hear the truckers as to why the traffic is stopped in the middle of knowwhere on a sunny day. Truckers seem to be on the phone more than the CB now, so I almost never even bother to turn it on.

what he says is true:178:mike

In our STAR group there are a lot of CBs. We use them all the time, it's great. Although, this last weekend Lone Eagle didn't ride with us and it was a little too quiet. :)

Most of the after market radios in our group are by J&M. They work great paired with the FirestikII antenna.

No phone for me buddy...

Jammin to Stevie Ray on the SAT radio.....:cool10:

The big reason I hardly ever have the CB on is because of all the crap and noise toys these morons are using...:mad:

I guess I was remembering the good old days when CB was king.

Thinking that it would be good while in a group ride or keeping tabs on traffic ahead.

A lot of them still use CB for traffic conditions, Smokie reports, etc. The cell phone is great when contacting the office, wifey poo, or delivery site, but when it comes to why the big traffic jamb, the CB is still king....

OK...but remember...you Didn't say how much you want to spend. :)

http://www.sierra-mc.com/products.asp?cat=371

I've installed two of these J&M models before. I think the price is reasonable and you should be about to put one in including the antenna in about two hours. They are really easy and work well.:) OH yes, you can even run your mp-3 player sound through them too.

I actually installed a Cobra portable like that on my Harley FXRD when I had it. I just put it in the trunk. I just set it on the agreed upon channel before leaving and it worked fine. It wasn't the best solution but I was able to communicate with the other riders.

I actually installed a Cobra portable like that on my Harley FXRD when I had it. I just put it in the trunk. I just set it on the agreed upon channel before leaving and it worked fine. It wasn't the best solution but I was able to communicate with the other riders.

I picked up one of those off Ebay and velcro'd it to the dash of the '83. Didn't really do all that well, but it was better than nothing.....

I have a J&M cb that i put on my wifes honda shadow areo then she sold bike and buyer didn't want it . So I took it off . Would sell if your interested . Complete with antenna and every thing you need , except for lower cord and helment set . Can hook up Mp3 player to it , use as cb and also has weather band on it . drop me an e-mail if your interested .

I have a J&M cb that i put on my wifes honda shadow areo then she sold bike and buyer didn't want it . So I took it off . Would sell if your interested . Complete with antenna and every thing you need , except for lower cord and helment set . Can hook up Mp3 player to it , use as cb and also has weather band on it . drop me an e-mail if your interested .

you have mail.