IGNORED

Kudos to Skydoc_17!

GaStar

First I need to say that I had the clutch slippage issue in 4th and 5th. Also on a slight uphill grade, I could not hold 5th gear at 50 mph. It would shudder and buck causing to me to downshift.

I orderes his clutch spring upgrade. WOW! This thing should be listed under performance upgrades! I feel like I have more power than before. I can even hold 5th gear on the same grade and accelerate! It is almost like a brand new bike.

If you haven't done this yet, do it! Best purchase I've made yet!

Just for giggles, Mine is a 97 RSTC with 63,XXX on the odometer. Second owner and was prob not taken care of to well by the PO.

Thanks Skydoc_17!:cool10:

Thank You Steve,

For those kind words!

I truly believe that Yamaha did the RSV and RSTD/TC owners a DISSERVICE when they put the single clutch diaphragm spring in the 1300 motors. Basically, there is just to much horsepower being transfered from the engine thru that single clutch spring.

If you Second Gen. owners even THINK you are having a clutch slippage problem, by all means, do the Clutch Spring Upgrade, BEFORE you damage the clutch friction discs or the steel clutch plates. Even if you choose to use a clutch spring from another vendor, that's OK with me, BUT don't make the mistake of burning up a $300.00 clutch when $80.00 will give you double the clutch friction disc life.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2905&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Considering that Yamaha's Warranty DOES NOT cover a burned up clutch, this is wise money spent, even if you don't buy this kit from me. Plus, if you ride two up a lot, or pull a trailer, this upgrade, in what ever form you choose to buy it in, is a must have item.

Thanks again Steve, knowing that your RSTC is running properly again, is the reward I strive for. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Must be thinking on the same lines today? I just upgraded my clutch today as well thanks to the kit from Skydoc. I am not a mechanic and had some discrepancies from the writeup.I had the bike level on Carbon1's stand and lost a quart of oil. No big deal as I just continued to do an oil change. However the punch marks on the basket were not at 11 and 5 oclock and the discs were 2 notches in the single mark(1oclock) and 1 notch in the double mark (7 oclock)?? I have never had an issue with the clutch so I put the disc's back the way I found them with the upgrade disc and spring and it seems ok. I took it around the block and seems good. I will have to wait til spring to give it a good try but I think I am ok. It is a little harder pull on the lever but nothing to even concern yourself with. I hope and am sure it will do everything that Skydoc say's it will do. Thanks again and just wanted to let you know that the marks may not always be at 11 and 5 oclock???

I believe he was referring to where they were in his pic. Muine were not in the 11 and 5 location either. I did however have the double marked spot on the clutch discs with the double marks on the metal and single for single.

I have almost run a tank of gas through mine. Can't wait to check mileage. I would know tomorrow but it's supposed to rain. :(