IGNORED

Drum brake Trike ???????????

StuD

Looking for some info re drum brakes.....1.do I need to go to an auto brake master or will a 90VR rear brake master do the job? I have de-linked the fronts from the rear.

2.what type of tires would you recommend for rear wheels? Thanks :canada::canada::canada:

Hey StuD! Saw you were online and just wanted to say hi!! Do you remember this night? It always brings a smile on our face when Gary Dane and I talk about it!!

Ok.....back to the original question on this thread. Sorry I can't help you out. I'll go back to my corner now!

Hey Stewart,

The volume of the MKII VR Rear Master Cylinder is right on the border of being big enough to power TWO drum brakes. With a little more info, I could give you a better answer. Is it a Jap pick-up rear axle, What is the size of the brake drums, etc.

I will say this, if I were going to do this project, I would run Stainless Steel Brake Lines to decrease the amount of brake power lost to "swelling brake lines", I would also rebuild the rear Master Cylinder, AND use the port on the rear Master Cylinder that used to feed the Left Front brake caliper, and block off the port that has the proportioning valve on it.

Tire size should be calculated to keep the gear ratio pretty close to the stock gear ratio. Keep in mind that lower profile tires make the ride harsher, but can help you keep the gear ratio correct. I wouldn't see a problem with radial tires. The width of the tire would depend on the wheel well size and the width and diameter of the rims you have/or will purchase. If you haven't purchased rims/tires yet, you are going to want to calculate the tire diameter that will keep the gear ratio correct, then select tires, rims to suit. If you need help calculating the tire numbers, please feel free to PM me, and good luck with this project. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Don't know how my 2nd gen compares to the 1st gen you have on the master cylinder but in my experience of converting to the trike I found the stock master lacking in enough volume to fully expand the brakes for good stopping.

I used a Wilwood universal master cyclinder kit from Jegs. I used this one -- http://www.jegs.com/i/Wilwood/950/260-5920/10002/-1

But there are others that could be used also. I did do some altering to the one I installed so it would fit between the engine and frame. I used the factory brake linkages along with SS brake lines. Now brakes are excellent.

Oh I have Ford disc brakes instead of drums now thou I did use the drum type for a year.

Larry

Hey StuD! Saw you were online and just wanted to say hi!! Do you remember this night? It always brings a smile on our face when Gary Dane and I talk about it!!

Ok.....back to the original question on this thread. Sorry I can't help you out. I'll go back to my corner now!

Brings back many fond memories. Are you planning to return to Cody in July this year?

Hope the potatoes were a bumper crop last year. LOL :canada::canada::canada: