IGNORED

Can only shift a gear up or down

I'll try to be as straight as i can to give you the facts.

2000 RSV.

I rebuilt my clutch slave. Nothing wrong with it, but I was in the area.

I took off the heel toe shifter and removed the floorboard to get to it.

Changed my fluid.

Reassembled. Did have to twist the floorboard around a little bit to get it back to the front position. Maybe I bent something. Maybe i shifted some adjustments a couple rotations but nothing severe I wouldn't think.

I easily shifted into first and second. The heel/toe shifter was rotated up with the toe at a high point. Couldnt step on the heel and make it shift.

Then realized that if I steped on the toe slightly I could then shift to the third, fourth gear. Unfortunately could only move back to the 2nd or third gear.

I am not hearing or feeling any problems internally when I am shifting.

The pedal action does not move properly.

Would really appreciate some guidance.

Bob

I'm far from being an expert, but it sounds like you have installed a linkage arm in the wrong position on a splined shaft. If you are up shifting by pushing down on the toe piece, that is totally the wrong result. You should be down shifting when pushing down on the toe piece. A piece of linkage rotated 180 degrees when reinstalled? Check the tech library for parts manual and proper orientation of the linkage pieces on the shafts.

Edited by Mel
spelling

I'm far from being an expert, but it sounds like you have installed a linkage arm in the wrong position on a splined shaft. If you are up shifting by pushing down on the toe piece, that is totally the wrong result. You should be down shifting when pushing down on the toe piece. A piece of linkage rotated 180 degrees when reinstalled? Check the tech library for parts manual and proper orientation of the linkage pieces on the shafts.

:sign yeah that:Made same mistake on 1st gen, had little arm/link wrong direction on splined shaft

Any progress on resolving your problem?

I went out and looked at mine, so much of it is hidden behind the exhaust that I don't think it would help to post up pics, but I will if you want. Just can't get a good visual on a lot of it.

Sounds like you might have tightened down on the pivot bolt a little too much when putting the heel/toe back on. If the heel gets short stroked and return fully it will not allow you to shift up to the next gear. I had that problem, only it was because of my big feet. I'd have to consciously raise my foot for the heel to work again. I cured the problem by going to a toe/toe shift lever.....

Guest tx2sturgis

So I read the title of the thread...ok..mine does this too...I can only shift up or down. Dang....well now I want one that shifts forward and back, and maybe side to side...

Lets get started on this...

:think:

I can't figure it out. Luckily I have a guy that does electrical work on Goldwings that is adding some lights to my back end. He is going to take a look at it.

I have trip next week and I'm running out of time so he can work on it this week.

I'll report back on what he finds.

Typical project for me. I do the work wrong and then pay some one twice as much to fix my mess.

4" to center

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd73a55e4ff00000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Note small linkage leaning forward

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd69cfd457800000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

This is looking in. Take a knee looking at the bolt that holds the shifter on.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd6b922841d00000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Looking from the front of the floorboard into the shifter linkage

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd708a4e41700000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

From under the floorboard looking in

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd6bff184cd00000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1dd20b3127ccefcd726f2656600000030O08AZtmjJo0aOAe3nws/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

4" to center

Note small linkage leaning forward

This is looking in. Take a knee looking at the bolt that holds the shifter on.

Looking from the front of the floorboard into the shifter linkage

From under the floorboard looking in

Holy crap,

I might loose my self imposed title of 'PICTURE FAIRY'

:photographing:

Nice pictures, they do help people.

Gary

Got a PM from Big Mo saying the same thing happened to him. The linkage in the back was bent that attached to the long shaft. Bent it out gently and it worked perfectly.

Would have been lost without that post. Thanks to everyone that took the time to help solve this problem. People took thinking time, took pictures and time to post.

I'm humbled by your help.

Thanks,

Bob

Got a PM from Big Mo saying the same thing happened to him. The linkage in the back was bent that attached to the long shaft. Bent it out gently and it worked perfectly.

Would have been lost without that post. Thanks to everyone that took the time to help solve this problem. People took thinking time, took pictures and time to post.

I'm humbled by your help.

Thanks,

Bob

:cool10: :cool10: Fantastic news. A big :bighug: to Big MO