IGNORED

To Flanders Or Not To Flanders...

That is the question! This all started with buying a set of handlebar grip heaters. I decided why not change the grips to a set of Kuryakan ISO's and then started considering new handlebars as well. Sooo, my question is how much of a difference is there? I want the controls closer to me and am wondering how much they actually come back, and is there any clearance issues?? Will I gain any extra handlebar area for mounting stuff??

Opinions, please!

I had purchased the Baron's 1 1/2" risers and was considering the Flanders Bars for my scoot.

As it turned out when my seat mod was done by Rick Butler I needed neither of those things. I donated the Baron's risers to a member here for a donation to the Site....and cancelled the thought of the Flanders Bars.

The Butler seat mod worked perfectly for me... and my riding position on the scoot was, and still is, perfect for both control and comfort.:cool10:

Good luck with your mods if that's what you decide to do.

Boomer....who sez having long arms does count.:whistling:

ps: I think you will have to change out yer brake/clutch lines to accomodate those Flanders Bars.

Im already running a Hartco seat on my 99 so seating is not an issue for me. My Flanders bars and extended Barnett SS throttle cables will be here today. The Baron risers are just perfect for me and from what I gathered the Flanders bars does the same thing as the risers as far as height goes. Only problem with the risers is that it contacts the ignition switch cover when making tight turns. So, for me, the higher handlebar made the ride so much more comfy. I just wanted a cleaner look without the risers. :smile5:

That is the question! This all started with buying a set of handlebar grip heaters. I decided why not change the grips to a set of Kuryakan ISO's and then started considering new handlebars as well. Sooo, my question is how much of a difference is there? I want the controls closer to me and am wondering how much they actually come back, and is there any clearance issues?? Will I gain any extra handlebar area for mounting stuff??

Opinions, please!

Here's the difference in the stock & Flanders (G2: Part #650-08763) --

--------------- RSV ------------- Flanders

Height ------- 6" ----------------- 6"

Width ------- 31" --------------- 31.5"

Pullback -- 14" -------------16"

Center ----- 7.5" -----------------6"

Edited by awsmsrv

A guy in Minneapolis put the flanders on his TD and just loved them he said that he also changed out the brake lines with SS and I think he even added 2 inches to the throttle cable too.

Some say you don't have to extend the cable or the brake lines. I am sure they will chime in here real soon. :ignore:

Bubber

Bob, the first thing I changed when I bought the '06 was the handle bars. I used the Flanders on the '03 and loved them so it was a no brainer for me. I never had an issue with the stock hoses but the throttle cables do need to be 2" longer. You can play with the clutch and brake hoses to make them work or spring for the 2" longer SS braided lines. I'm not sure if they are offering the Flanders bars with the threaded inserts so you can keep your stock bar end weights now or not but it's an easy mod if you want to keep them. Some have drilled out the threaded plugs from the stock bars and put them in the Flanders. I turned down some nuts to fit into the bars and welded them in.

Bob I have the Flander bars on my bike as well as the longer SS brake & clutch lines. I also added the Kuryakyn ISO grips. I love this set up as I feel it does make a bit of difference in ease of steering the trike.

And you do gain a bit more room on the riser section for those "gotta have" goodies we like to add.

Larry

OK lotsa really good input here and I do appreciate it!!

I'm sure the extra 2 inches will satisfy my needs for the controls being a tad closer! I do find myself leaning just a little forward to reach the controls now. The extra 1/2 inch width won't make a hill of beans difference as far as the feel but just may make the difference as to whether I can put a tach on my bars!

I'm starting to think that the project may be placed on temporary hold until the fall or next winter as I'm already replacing my stator and regulator for more power for Becky's heated vest she got for Christmas. I have also sprung for a new shield and bags as well as some other safety chrome, and I want to upgrade the rear brakes. Thsnks Larry (Carbon One) for the ground work!! I'm not poor but I'm not rich either, and the $600 price tag is putting az minor damper on things. You betcha Rick at Buckeye will get my business! I have the OEM replacement SS Clutch cable already and one SS line for the front brakes from a Fleabay purchase last year.

I already have the Baron extender that I was originally going to install and still will as soon as I have our machine shop do the "Ruffy" mod to them for the fairing. I'll keep you all posted on what happens. Any more info is greatly appreciated!!!