IGNORED

metal shavings in clutch slave

Preface- Every thing I do to this bike is the first time so I don't have a frame of reference.

My bike is a 2000 RSV with 35,000 miles. I've owned it for a year. I was working around my clutch slave area so I decided to rebuild it. To my surprise it was full of metal shavings. Quite an alarming amount to me. I felt the cylinder and could not feel gouges. Made me feel that the shavings had come from the master cylinder and settled in the clutch slave over time or as fluid had been changed over the years. Was not having clutch problems that I could notice. Getting ready for a trip so don't want to rebuild the master, but am thinking that this is the proper next step.

Question: Has anyone seen this issue before and identified the cause?

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob,

Squidley is right on the mark with his comment. When the clutch fluid is not changed regularly, it forms crystals, the movement of the clutch slave piston gouges the inside bore of the clutch slave, the collection of shavings is the result. I used to try to rebuild the clutch slaves, but my success rate hovered around 50% due to the lack of maintenance in this area. I won't rebuild a clutch slave in the shop anymore, to much time, and no guarantee of the results. If you were ever looking for a "Bench Mark" of how WELL a previous owner has taken care of their motorcycle, check the clutch and brake Master Cylinders, as well as the clutch slave. If the M/C's are a gooey mess, all that owner did was change oil.:confused24:

Earl