IGNORED

Need piston rings '83 XVZ12TK

Anyone know of a source for new piston rings for an 83 venture 1200. Doing 2nd gear teardown. Figured with 78000mi and a 90psi cylinder, I'd replace rings as long as the engine is out. Cycle Design had all parts but rings. I see on other sites rings are listed as discontinued.

Thanks guys. Was hoping someone might have a line on an old dealer with odd parts still in inventory. I know that's a long shot. No oil use or smoking, just the weak cylinder. Could be due to gas wash from years of running with a bad TCI or ring gaps temporarily lined up. Had the heads off 3 years ago and re-did valves. Replaced TCI last year and it's a new bike. All that new power brought out the 2nd gear issue. So since the engine is coming out for that fix, thought I'd stick on a set of rings and make her go another 50K.

Hey Marty,

Far be it from me to question the depth of the work you did recently on your cylinder heads, BUT if you just had the valves ground and new seals installed, and did not check the clearance of the valve guides then that could be your low compression problem. A "wet" compression check would answer this question once and for all. The set of pistons and rings that Dingy is offering is a solid set of parts, I have never known him to offer parts that were not top notch. If you find out it is the Valve guides, then it might be time to "throw caution to the wind" and bolt on a set of VMAX heads, just for the fun of it,:confused24:

Earl