IGNORED

Oil Drip - Normal (see pics)

:confused24::confused24::think::think::think::confused24::confused24::confused24::think:

It IS possible to only drain SOME of the oil. The way I see it you have 3 options:

1) As suggested - loosen the oil filter and let some drain out, re-tighten the filter then check you oil level; repeat as necessary.

2) Unscrew the drain plug enough to let the oil drip. Let it drip for a while then re-tighten the plug and check your level. You could speed it up by removing the plug completely for a few seconds then put it back in and check your level. Note that removing the plug for a short time will not dump ALL of the oil out.

3) IF the dealer really did service the bike, take it back and have them do it correctly.

Either 1 or 2 is extremely easy to do. Don't worry about it and just do it!!

If you do the drain plug route, make sure the engine and oil are COLD!! :backinmyday:

In a nutshell: the manual calls for 3.9 qts of oil. When cahnging the oil and filter just add 3.5 qts and your good to go. Its that pesky .4 qts that will do you in.....:smile5:

I am trying to figure out if this is fairly normal or if there might be a problem. The bike runs fine, but I noticed a small oil drip under the motor (towards the back).

There are a series of rubber tubes coming down (I assume they are vent tubes), some of them are smaller and cut straight across, but the 2 of them are larger and diagonal cut (if that matters). Here are the pics from under the bike.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Wally

Wally, I have a 2008 Royal star Venture and I also had the same problem with the same tube as you were noting. In tracking out the tube it went to the Carbs area and Goose'e explaination tells it all very correctly. Check your oil and if you have to remove some, they do make a small DC motor for removing oil in the pan on Cars, boats and etc if you want to keep it from being toooooo messy. No more than 3.5 Qts with a oil change and filter. That should put the oil in the sight glass at the proper level. About 1/2 way up on the sight glass when the bike is setting up right/straight. Good Question from you concerning this problem and we can all see that its a common problem with the Venture Engine Design. Nothing to worry about. Think about it, HARLEY's have been leaking for years and years and look where they have come!! ha ha I am only kidding all you Harley people!! ha ha Go easy on me!!! GULP!!!!! DanC :rotf:

Thanks Rick, that's what Goose said earlier, and it makes sense. Short of just doing an oil change to correct it, I don't think I can just loosen the drain plug without it coming all the way out and letting all the oil out. I guess I could buy a new drain pan and just recycle the oil. Supposedly it was just changed about 500 miles ago by the dealer. Great learning all this stuff from all you venturers!

Brian

Or just do it when the wife is not home grab the pan from the cabinet drain and refill .Then wash the pan two times and dry it put it away(dunn):fingers-crossed-emo

Or just do it when the wife is not home grab the pan from the cabinet drain and refill .Then wash the pan two times and dry it put it away(dunn):fingers-crossed-emo

Now that brings to mind another idea .... grab the wife's turkey baster, attach a rubber hose of appropriate size/length to the end and stuff it down the oil filler hole and suction out the excess oil.

When done, wash turkey baster in good dish soap mixture, rinse thoroughly and put it back where you got it, taking extra care in placing it in EXACTLY the same spot & direction...

Now that's a good idea!! Better yet just go to the dollar store and get a nice big plastic bowl for chips and use that. not for chips, for the oil drain. the garage is pretty much my man cave, she wouldn't know what I was doin out there if she was home! adn don't forget the beers!

:beer:

Thanks Rick, that's what Goose said earlier, and it makes sense. Short of just doing an oil change to correct it, I don't think I can just loosen the drain plug without it coming all the way out and letting all the oil out. I guess I could buy a new drain pan and just recycle the oil. Supposedly it was just changed about 500 miles ago by the dealer. Great learning all this stuff from all you venturers!

Brian

\

I drained some out of mine the first time I changed it. I left it on the side stand and pulled the plug (got oil all over my hand) and then quickly put it back in. In fact I had to do it twice to get enough out. If you drain to much just buy a quart and pour some in till it is where you want it. Or just buy 4 quarts and drain it all and refill. Cheaper than running it over full. Creates small air bubbles and that is good on cam bearings or rod and main bearing. If you us synthetic it costs you $40 if not then it's about $16. Pretty cheap for piece of mind.

Edited by Rick Haywood

• 2 weeks later...

okay, I noticed when I slowly removed the oil drain bolt a shaving of metal about the circumference of the bolt...then when I took the bolt all the way out there was metal around the last 3-4 threads...now the bolt won't tighten up in the pan even with a new washer...this really sucks...it's under warranty, but it's a half hour away to the dealer, and would have to be towed...not sure I want those guys working on it anyway..should I put a self-tapping plug in with some teflon tape or what's my best solution here? I don't want to jeopardize the warranty, but I'd like to take care of this myself..

I know you guys are a wealth of info on here, please give me your wisdom and knowledge!

thanks!

Brian

• 1 month later...

I also had this same issue. I took the oil filter off and let it drain. In order to lower the oil level to half in the sight glass I had to do it twice.

I still get a fair amount of oil dripping on the kickstand while riding. Is there a way to clean this up to stop the dripping?

Now that brings to mind another idea .... grab the wife's turkey baster, attach a rubber hose of appropriate size/length to the end and stuff it down the oil filler hole and suction out the excess oil.

When done, wash turkey baster in good dish soap mixture, rinse thoroughly and put it back where you got it, taking extra care in placing it in EXACTLY the same spot & direction...

Great minds, think alike!!! I like the idea of the turkey baster. As a matter of fact, I was thinking the exact same thing when I got down to your post. I gonna go buy me one just incase this ever happens to me. It'll never see the kitchen though or the grill.

• 2 months later...

Ok people had to bump this thread NEED HELP

I agree entirely with the overfill problem, & my RSV has always had the "odd drip" coming out of the vent hose underneath.

Lately have noticed the oil level getting lower too quickly. (never had to add oil between oil changes before)

Over say a 1000 km ride the oil level will drop from half the sight glass to just showing at the bottom. It is definitely going out the vent. There is about an inch & half oil spot under it when left overnight.

1. oil is mostly checked in the same place in my shed

2. always checked with bike upright

3. nearly all my riding is relatively long distance, never commuting

4. 171,000 km on the clock

Seems to me there is something more serious?

Any help/sugestions as to what to do, what could be wrong, would be appreciated.

Tony.

You say the oil is definitely going out the vent, but I see no evidence of that in your post. You need to do a leak-down test on each cylinder to see what condition the rings and valve seats are in. Even if a lot of oil IS getting blown out the crankcase vent, the only cause I can think of would be significant ring blow-by pressurizing the case.

Goose

Thanks Goose.

I was hoping you would see my post.

I had thought along those lines, but was hoping it may be something simple.

Sadly you're probably right (as usual). It will need to be checked soon before damage is done. We all know what happens when engines run out of oil. :no-no-no: Glad my Dad taught me to check oil & water in every engine, before every use.

Thanks again.

Tony