IGNORED

Reda Gas Can

Drkngas

Has anyone tried to fit one of these in a current model Venture or RSTD saddlebag? I tried calling Reda Innovations and got the answering machine. Just wanna know how it fits or stays put once it is in the saddlebag.

Where are you riding that you need to carry extra gas?I have never road anywhere that there wasn't a gas station at least every 130 miles except one stretch across Nevada and I believe it was 141 miles and they tell you at the last gas stop that it is that far

Where are you riding that you need to carry extra gas?I have never road anywhere that there wasn't a gas station at least every 130 miles except one stretch across Nevada and I believe it was 141 miles and they tell you at the last gas stop that it is that far

New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska.

NoDak. After 5pm they don't just roll up the sidewalks, they roll up the entire state.

Has anyone tried to fit one of these in a current model Venture or RSTD saddlebag? I tried calling Reda Innovations and got the answering machine. Just wanna know how it fits or stays put once it is in the saddlebag.

If I don't have the trailer, I carry a pair of MSR bottles in my saddle bag. They come to about half a gallon, I believe. I use some Sta-Bil in them to keep the fuming and staleness to a minimum. I think a gallon would take too much room for me.

He rides an RSTD. I get a low fuel warning at 114 miles, and am on reserve at 125. I've gone 150 in her, but was sweating because it was West Texas where 150 miles is nothing. If that one gas station in small town Texas isn't open, you have issues. Maybe you can flag a rancher or Border Patrol....

OR, if you have a headwind... I've been on reserve at 80 miles and run dry in 125 miles.

Dave

If I don't have the trailer, I carry a pair of MSR bottles in my saddle bag. They come to about half a gallon, I believe. I use some Sta-Bil in them to keep the fuming and staleness to a minimum. I think a gallon would take too much room for me.

He rides an RSTD. I get a low fuel warning at 114 miles, and am on reserve at 125. I've gone 150 in her, but was sweating because it was West Texas where 150 miles is nothing. If that one gas station in small town Texas isn't open, you have issues. Maybe you can flag a rancher or Border Patrol....

OR, if you have a headwind... I've been on reserve at 80 miles and run dry in 125 miles.

Dave

WOW do they have a smaller tank than the RSV? That would explain why the gas can. I thinl the shortest distance I have went on the Venture pulling a trailer was like 160 miles before I switched the tank to reserve.

Gas is the one thing you kick yourself for when your running low out west. We were detoured because of a forest fire in northern California. The detour was 70 miles of twisting, turning mountain roads. The reserve light was on forever. I coasted every downhill for miles. Finally came to a little station with a small above ground tank. The place was pandemonium with people wanting to cut in line for the one gas hose. I put in $10.00 and vowed to never again say "I'll get gas later" when riding west.:D

By the replies I'm going to say no one has one of these gas cans. A guy in my office purchased one for his Harley, I'll go check it out this weekend and report back on the fit. I also carry 1 or more MRS bottles and had to use them a few times on my last bike. Another reason I'm considering one or two of these is because my son rides with me and he has a small gas tank and we are planning a few long rides.

I carry a pair of MSR bottles in my saddle bag. They come to about half a gallon, I believe. I use some Sta-Bil in them to keep the fuming and staleness to a minimum.

Dave

Exactly what I do, but, mine are 20oz. each, so a little less than a third of a gallon. I also put them in zip lock bags to help with containing any fumes, although, they never smell because the caps seal really well.

I guess you have never hit a severe headwind on your venture. The shortest distance I have ridden (on a trip) that I have gone from full to reserve was about 60 miles. I was in southern Oklahoma and was pushing against 40-60 mph winds the whole way. Yee-haw.

New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Kansas, Nebraska.

Don't forgot Montana and Wyoming...

By the replies I'm going to say no one has one of these gas cans. A guy in my office purchased one for his Harley, I'll go check it out this weekend and report back on the fit. I also carry 1 or more MRS bottles and had to use them a few times on my last bike. Another reason I'm considering one or two of these is because my son rides with me and he has a small gas tank and we are planning a few long rides.

Please report here what you find, I am curious too! Thanks :))

WOW do they have a smaller tank than the RSV? That would explain why the gas can. I thinl the shortest distance I have went on the Venture pulling a trailer was like 160 miles before I switched the tank to reserve.

Yes, it is smaller and the RSTD has a huge windscreen. Very comfortable to ride behind, but at the cost of fuel efficiency.

Please do let us know about the gas can. Are you riding without a passenger? I ride with my bag on the passenger seat and I can use it as a back rest. That frees up the luggage rack for a small gas can. Empty most of the time, but it is comforting on those lonely stretches.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/4075991988_f7d3300b6f.jpg

Dave

+1 for MSR bottles. They're available at most outdoor supply stores. REI, Gander Mountain, etc.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/XELvogp2sEWV6bc8m3Cr1iwGKcRDayzvipEQR8AsX6QsXrkjZ-end61MSnmnf0wKneZKxwPu-P-Y57WOUKqi-4naMtuVXh8Zo5RyxepajY1UlAqTQtsmbrSUF1y0ogdk-3Hw42d91M03nvu28dnWmxqUOr1G4LItig-iFqcisbG4MMS0wZsIYI8

:2cents:I don't think I would go fo it either, having gas inside a hot saddlebag is not my idea of a safe thing, plus I would think the fumes might not be good for the plastic or anything else in the bag.

Excuse me for being block-headed but what exactly would the difference of that be to gas inside a gas tank sitting overtop of a hot engine on a 100+ degree day?

As for the fumes... they claim they are (VAPOR PROOF zero emissions - NO fumes)

Excuse me for being block-headed but what exactly would the difference of that be to gas inside a gas tank sitting overtop of a hot engine on a 100+ degree day?

As for the fumes... they claim they are (VAPOR PROOF zero emissions - NO fumes)

The gas tank on the bike is vented to relive the pressure and the fumes are not trapped in an enclosed space. For it being vapor proof I don't have much faith in it but again that's my opinoin and you know what they say about opinions.

The gas tank on the bike is vented to relive the pressure and the fumes are not trapped in an enclosed space. For it being vapor proof I don't have much faith in it but again that's my opinoin and you know what they say about opinions.

Like I said... I'm block-headed LOL ... didn't even think about the vent.

The Reda gas can as well as the MSR Bottles have a fill line to allow for the fuel expansion.