IGNORED

Leaking Fuel Tank !! ??

GeorgeS

OK, the 29 Year old, Honda CX -500 sitting in my garage, started leaking fuel from the tank last night.

Seeping fuel at the lower edge of the tank. Anyway, don't want to put a lot of money into this thing, for a new tank.

I see on the web, there a re several products on the market for makeing fuel tank repairs.

Anybody here have any experience with any of the fuel tank leak repair products ??

IF so I'm all " Ears " as they say. Any reccomendations, or horror stories ??

Thanks for any tips :confused24:

Edited by GeorgeS

If you won't go with JB weld, maybe a used Tank off Fleabay will do much better than a costly Repair with unforseeable Outcome. Depends a Lot on the State you find in your Tank. It can be done, yes, but it not cheap and rather Time consuming. Snaggletooth has done a a Job to the Tank of his 1Gen.

OK, the 29 Year old, Honda CX -500 sitting in my garage, started leaking fuel from the tank last night.

Seeping fuel at the lower edge of the tank. Anyway, don't want to put a lot of money into this thing, for a new tank.

I see on the web, there a re several products on the market for makeing fuel tank repairs.

Anybody here have any experience with any of the fuel tank leak repair products ??

IF so I'm all " Ears " as they say. Any reccomendations, or horror stories ??

Thanks for any tips :confused24:

Hey George... I've seen posts on using a liquid tank sealer for rusted tanks, but if your's isn't too far gone maybe pulling it and having it brazed might be the answer. I just can't see anything standing up to gas over a period of time.

The hot stuff right now is Caswell Tank sealer.It is what the British bike restorers are using to seal/restore/protect their tanks from ethanol and cure leaks.Their web site is www.caswellplating.com You can buy it from Colorado Norton Works a little cheaper then other places.This stuff works great much better then Kreem or anything else.but it is a little expensive.CNW seems to have the best price.

www.coloradonortonworks.com

The hot stuff right now is Caswell Tank sealer.It is what the British bike restorers are using to seal/restore/protect their tanks from ethanol and cure leaks.Their web site is www.caswellplating.com You can buy it from Colorado Norton Works a little cheaper then other places.This stuff works great much better then Kreem or anything else.but it is a little expensive.CNW seems to have the best price.

www.coloradonortonworks.com

I used this once and was pretty happy with it. I've also used Kreem. I think the Caswell is probably a better product where you have leaks and it's less likely to damage the paint.

I had two challenges with the Caswell. First it's clear so it can be challenging to see if you've got coverage. Also, I was a bit below their recommended temperature range and it flowed very slowly. I only mixed half the kit, which is all that's required for a small tank. If I had it to do over again I'd have mixed it all so I had more to slosh around in the tank and just discard the extra.

I have worked with quite a few epoxies and if you preheat the two parts BEFORE mixing them this will lower the viscosity while shortening the pot life only minimally.... your mileage may vary.

Do NOT heat the two parts higher than the working temperature listed in the technical data sheet.

do NOT heat epoxies you have mixed!!!!!! you will shorten the potlife considerably and may cause a fire.....I have..... learn from my mistakes!!!!!

Heat epoxies by lowering the container in a hot water bath and allowing to set of some time to heat.

Hey George,

I'm going to throw in here on the Caswell Tank Sealer.

http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm

I used this kit two years ago on the tank of my '84. Was having rust problems and it solved all issues. Easy to use, hard as nails and you don't have to worry about getting the inside totally rust free. It actually bonds to any remaining rust. I checked my tank after the end of the first season and saw no problems. Checked it again after winter storage in freezing temps and checked it again before I parked it this year. I can see no sign of any changes since I did the coating.

This stuff is thick and hard. Fills any thin spots and seals everything.

I'll never recommend any other type of sealant again.

PM me if you have any questions.

Mike