IGNORED

this is computer related

Hummingbird

I just did some research on this and from what I found, FP will run on Windows 7. I didn't even research it for Vista because I absolutely cannot recommend that anybody go with Vista when they have a choice. I think that Windows 7 is WAY better than Vista. I'm still running XP Pro and will until I upgrade my computer someday.

You really should start thinking about moving on from Frontpage also though.

I understand. Also, Frontpage is very easy to use but unfortunately is no longer up to date with many browser standards. I still use it some for simple things but I don't, actually never did, use the FP extensions and etc. A lot of them were never really compatible with Unix servers. Like I said though, from what I read, there are a lot of people using it with Windows 7.

I understand. Also, Frontpage is very easy to use but unfortunately is no longer up to date with many browser standards. I still use it some for simple things but I don't, actually never did, use the FP extensions and etc. A lot of them were never really compatible with Unix servers. Like I said though, from what I read, there are a lot of people using it with Windows 7.

I've been using it with filezilla - been pretty good to me -

Any Office program 2003 or newer will work fine with Windows 7. Even the 64 bit version. IF you want to be able to run even older programs then XP mode in Windows 7 pro or Ultimate will run anything. I use it for some older video editing programs. XP mode is NOT available in home versions of Windows 7. If all you are concerned about is FrontPage then you are good to go. Do NOT get Vista if at all possible.

I would also recommend a 64 bit version of either pro or ultimate. You can then load up as much RAM as you want. The 32 bit version will only use 3 gigs so anything over that is wasted.

wizard - without getting too technical with regard to hard drives - I see a T6600 and others, which one will give me the best ( fastest) performance. The only stipulation I'm dealing with is that I'm trying to keep it under $1000

gotta go right now - will check back in an hour or so

Thanks guys -

Also - I'm so comfortable with XP pro that I'm pretty uneasy about going to another OS

I've been using Windows 7 Pro for a few months now... once you get onto it, you will like it. It has been very stable. I have it at work on 7 PC's as well as at home.

I initially found that my scanner was incompatible in that HP did not make drivers for it but then I found a "cheap" scanner software that had it's own drivers.

Front Page 2003 WILL work in Windows 7 ... I have tested that.

Other software that may not be compatible can be installed using "compatibility mode" in most cases.

I still use Office 2000 on my Win7 pro 32 and 64bit OS's .... works like Charm.

I'd recommend WIN7 64bit to FULL extend, but if you have some older Hardware, you can run into Driver Problems. Printer Drivers can be a bit unnerving under 64bit, but i got everything running on my 2008 Server and on WIN7 pro both 32bit and 64bit Versions, even my OOOOOOLD NEC P7 Line Printer from 1994 or so.

While i was going through my disastrous IT Ordeal last Year, i had the "Pleasure" to gain deep insight with XP pro Modes, both SP2 and SP3 Variations. And i even installed the virtual XP Machine, which is a complete XP pro Machine and comes even with teh MS License. Every Program i tested, and there were some really old ones, ran on this Machine. WIN7 is a BIIIG Step in the right Direction.

I run a small ISDN Monitor Program (CAPI Sniffer) on the 2008/64bit Server and even this Program from 1998 runs as it should. I really like the recent MS OS's. They will serve me another 10 Years.

Problem solved - thanks to all the good advise and experience here. :clap2:

I bought a Dell Inspiron 17R - N7010 Laptop this AM - has the i5 processor, win 7 and hopefully I can figure it out.

THANKS for the help and info.

Win 7 has a lot of differences to WinXP ... take your time and look around. One of it's neatest features is the Search bar in the Start menu .... if you know what it's called or even a partial word, just start typing there. For instance, you will have difficulty trying to locate Computer Management which is under Control Panel | Administrative Tools in WinXP .... so in Win7, just type that into the Search bar and voila` ... there it is!