IGNORED

Waaaaaaaaaaa I broke my trunk!

coy55boy

:bang head: Installed my new custom seat and went out for a ride. Life is good! Then I went over a rough spot in the road and all of a sudden a loud noise and when I look in my rear view mirror....there's my trunk. Bouncing down the road like a freaking basketball!

I know I had it latched good, but apparently I forgot to set the lock to 'locked'. Argh!

So, does anybody know if MKII trunks are compatible with MKI bikes? There's one on eBay that's the right color, but it's an '87 and mines an '83. They look the same but just wanna make sure.

With a couple of easy mods, it should work. Make sure you get the rack that it sits on with it. Wizard765 is doing his, and he is supposed to know how it goes together. Bongobobny is also familiar with the process.

It's a bummer when those things go sliding down the road, I know!

FYI

I think the 83 and 84 are the same, the 85 is larger like the 86 and up but is still removable. The 86 and up are all the same as far as I know.

Ive heard of ppl putting the larger MK2 trunks on, but theres some modding to be done and I think it would probably be easier with the mounting plate too.

Brian

Well, that being the case, I reckon I just keep my eye peeled for a trunk from the right vintage. In fact, I may be able to just repair mine. It got a pretty deep gouge or two and the aluminum trim ring got rashed. But, for what these sellers are asking for old beat up boxes, I can probably get by with what I got. Worst of it is...I JUST installed the new passenger seat back and it's ruined. I could just kick myself! Not asking for any volunteers to assist mind you...

If your trunk is two tone gold I have a spare in good shape you can have if you want it.

The MKII trunk is the same as the 85. At least the plastic is. It is NOT the same as the 83 or 84. The easiest way to get a bigger trunk would be to find an 85 complete with the rack that it sits on.

Edited by Wizard765

Yup! To go with the bigger trunk you want an '85 trunk. The newer trunks are the exact trunk but the mounting hardware is different, and the racks are too. Actually they are the same as the 85 but with two arms welded to them and the rear subframe of the bike is different as well. If you have a little McGuiver in you then it can be done by hacking the arms off and maybe making a bracket. I have a MK2 bracket in my snowbound shed so next time I'm in there I will check for you as to what's involved.

Also if you switch to the bigger trunk you will also need a MK2 antenna mount. They are interchangeable, it puts the antenna out farther to the side...

Best thing you could do is find another MKI trunk and be done with it.

And.... I just went out and checked and I have a trunk off my '83VR up in the rafters. I replaced it with one that was a little nicer cosmetically. I didn't look at it all that closely, and can't remembrer what the blems were, but if you're interested PM me and I'll take a closer look.

Edited by Condor