IGNORED

Poll on people that tried but didn't like darkside

CaptainJoe

How many Ventureriders actually tried and why they didn't like the darkside?

What front tire do you use?

For informational purposes only.

Not trying to start something.

Please do not reply unless you have actually tried a car tire but didn't like the darkside?

Thanks Joe

Edited by CaptainJoe

If your going to start a poll, you should also includes those that have tried and like the darkside. I'm not going back.

I tried the CT for about 1500 miles with the Avon Cobra radial on the front. Couldn't ever get the wobble out so I went back to the E3 on rear. Cobra was very good for the front and got about 20,000 miles before it got cut and had to replace it. Wish Avon had the Cobra in a radial for the rear of the RSV. E3's on both ends now.

I have read the other threads on this and will offer this up on this thread. I have ridden Gunboats 99 RSV on a regular basis, he is running an Avon Cobra Radial on the front and a Kumho on the rear. I have probably 4000 miles saddle time on his bike, this is just my observations.

I know many folks will come on and say that the tire pressure is important and I totally agree with that. I believe that Don's bike is right at 40 psi in the rear. I dont like how the bike handles in the curves, I like to play in the twisties, perhaps a little harder than most. I feel too much flex from the back and it's not a feeling I like. Lots of variables go into how any given bike feels when it's being ridden. None of us will agree on everything as we all have our own unique way that we ride and what feels "Right" to us.

I can say that I WONT put a CT on a 2 wheel bike anytime soon. I will spend the extra $200 a year to replace a rear tire for the difference in the mileage. This is not a flame against CT's, if folks feel comfortable in riding them, thats cool. I'm the kind of guy that will try it before I make a comment on it, so I can 1st hand convey what I felt. If you live in Kansas and drive the strait as an arrow slab for most your miles, a CT might be for you. This site is for information and folks have to make up their own minds if this is for them.

Never take anyones word here as the gospel on anything. Were are just like everyone else and make mistakes. Anything I tell folks is my experiences with any given subject. I recommend things to folks, I dont say that this is the only way to do any given thing.

If you have done your homework, give it a try, the worst your going to have to do is take it back off and buy another bike tire. There will plenty of members that will buy a CT off you :)

Please do not reply unless you have actually tried a car tire but didn't like the darkside?

Thanks Joe

I tried a CT and didn't like handling. I posted a write-up on my experience and I think it's still around here somewhere. There are some positives to running a CT, but way too many negatives for me to run one when I have a choice. I still have the CT in the garage, but I have no plans for ever using it again.

The positives for me were; excellent rear wheel braking traction; more control on gravel; excellent traction during straight line acceleration. The negatives were; consistent wobble or rear wheel weave at highway speeds; unpredictable kick-out on tight high speed curves; almost uncontrollable wobble on rough roto-mill road surface.

CT's on a Venture? Tried it and didn't like it. Your mileage may vary.

• 3 weeks later...