IGNORED

Rotella and Warranty

OK, its been awhile... I will play the Oil Game.

Which Shell Rotella-T?

Says Who?

Shell Rotella-T Blue Jug 5qt about $22 at Walmart 5w-40 Synthetic Exceeds Manufacturer Recommendation.

Check these links out:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html

After reading these and doing a search for more current oil questions it ultimately be the Owners decision what he or she thinks is best for their situation and them with warranty being a consideration.

OK I played and will be tapping out.... Next :nanner:

Since Rotella (Blue Bottle)is not specifically labeled for use in motorcycles will using it void the warranty?

Sense you said the Blue Bottle, I will assume you are referring to Shell Rotella T-6. Click HERE to go to Shell's Rotella T-6 web page.

Shell Rotella T-6 meets JASO MA rating. The owners manual states you must use JASO MA or some API rating that I cant remember right now (I am hinting that you should double check me by reading your owners manual)

so with that said, Shell Rotella T-6 will not void your warranty.

Someone might chime in regarding Shell Rotella T-6's viscosity rating.... but if you read the owners manual it will state that the viscosity is a recommendation......NOT a requirement.

your milage may vary.

please read your owners manual.

I am not responsable for your motorcycle, you are..... and vice-versa.

Joe,

Page down near the bottom of "this page", and you will see some other threads that were posted a while back about Rotella oil and it's uses, and hopefully those threads can answer all your questions.

PS: I use Rotella T6 in my wing..!

Eck

Sorry folks I should have searched a little better. I will blame it on my cold :(

With the warranty issues being brought up lately I just thought I would ask. I had a 2000 Saturn that starting mixing oil and coolant and it was in warranty and they refused to cover it because I could not find my 7k mile oil change receipt (only one I did not have the dealer do) so I am very leery when it comes to warranty work, hopefully Yamaha is not as bad.

I do appreciate the responses, I am getting very bored stuck in the house.

Sorry folks I should have searched a little better. I will blame it on my cold :(

With the warranty issues being brought up lately I just thought I would ask. I had a 2000 Saturn that starting mixing oil and coolant and it was in warranty and they refused to cover it because I could not find my 7k mile oil change receipt (only one I did not have the dealer do) so I am very leery when it comes to warranty work, hopefully Yamaha is not as bad.

I would have seen them in court over that one!! If you buy a new car you can't do your own Maint.? And who keeps receipts of things like that? I write it down somewhere most of the time but not always.

Joe,

Page down near the bottom of "this page", and you will see some other threads that were posted a while back about Rotella oil and it's uses, and hopefully those threads can answer all your questions.

PS: I use Rotella T6 in my wing..!

Eck

Hey, Eck, was at a Honda dealer yesterday. Got to talking with them about oil and warranty.

They stated any oil that does not have the Motorcycle specific label on the bottle will void the Honda warranty. So they said Amsoil, Spectro and such oils were okay for Honda use.

:confused24::confused24::confused24:

stuck in the house? You're in South Carolina? what? egads, dood.. get on the bike and ride?!

can't be that snow bound out there.. ?

My wife and daughter had a bad cold last week when the weather was bad so guess who has it now:sick: that it is perfect riding weather? Maybe it is pay back for making post about riding when everyone else was snowed in?

You know what they say about payback

1st off :2cents:, if missing an oil change at 7K was gonna be an issue, it would have shown up before 80K.

2nd, I would have to say intermingling of oil and coolant is NOT caused by lack of sufficient lubrication! (i.e. Oil quality or viscosity)

3rd, Failure to properly change oil and/or coolant cannot "blanket void" your warranty. For instance they could not cover a rod bearing failure for you not properly changing the oil, but a head gasket failure or a fuel injector failure should not/could not be ruled unwarrantable, because of failure to change you oil, because they are not related.

(Yeah 10 years as a warranty manager for a Caterpillar dealer)

Hey, Eck, was at a Honda dealer yesterday. Got to talking with them about oil and warranty.

They stated any oil that does not have the Motorcycle specific label on the bottle will void the Honda warranty. So they said Amsoil, Spectro and such oils were okay for Honda use.

Sleeperhawk,

Honda wouldnt stand a chance in court....I know I would fight them in a minute if it came down to it.

I know about 60 people useing Rotella T6 in thier GW's, and all of them have well over 60 to 80k on thier bikes with no problems at all, and so with this warm feeling about Rotella T6, I am not worried about it at all.

Here is something of interest that may help.

http://www.wisegeek.com/can-i-put-oil-for-a-car-into-my-motorcycle.htm

1st off :2cents:, if missing an oil change at 7K was gonna be an issue, it would have shown up before 80K.

2nd, I would have to say intermingling of oil and coolant is NOT caused by lack of sufficient lubrication! (i.e. Oil quality or viscosity)

3rd, Failure to properly change oil and/or coolant cannot "blanket void" your warranty. For instance they could not cover a rod bearing failure for you not properly changing the oil, but a head gasket failure or a fuel injector failure should not/could not be ruled unwarrantable, because of failure to change you oil, because they are not related.

(Yeah 10 years as a warranty manager for a Caterpillar dealer)

Wish I had known you 5 years ago :) I went to the Better Business Bureau and found out they really can't do anything at all.

:confused24::confused24::confused24:

Hmmmm? Apparently this Dealer has no idea what JASO MA is and most likely has dedicated an entire wall full of Amsoil & Spectro for Sale. :fiddle:

Wish I had known you 5 years ago :) I went to the Better Business Bureau and found out they really can't do anything at all.

Anyone can join the BBB by sending them a check. They in turn send you a sticker for the door.

Short of listing a complaint in their database or revoking the sticker they don't have any enforcement power.

Just an FYI, and I knew this before I did it, my local Yamaha dealer has refused to do any warranty work on my RSV because of the sidecar. Even if the request is for work on known recall issues. I don't know if this applies to aftermarket trike conversions. They said the sidecar puts the engine under extreme stress and thus voids the warranty. I think I also read that somewhere.

My advice is, if you want to add something of significant to your bike make sure you know if it can void the warranty or wait until the warranty expires.

JUST AN FYI :thumbsup2:

Rick A.