IGNORED

Site has been slow

Freebird

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I just made some more changes. Don't know if it helped or not. Seems pretty quick right now but it doesn't happen all the time. It takes time before I can tell if I did any good or not. Then I also have to wonder if it's my connection, the server, something in the software settings, one of the customizations that I've added.......hard to track down sometimes. :(

I just made some more changes. Don't know if it helped or not. Seems pretty quick right now but it doesn't happen all the time. It takes time before I can tell if I did any good or not. Then I also have to wonder if it's my connection, the server, something in the software settings, one of the customizations that I've added.......hard to track down sometimes. :(

Sometimes the easiest way to fix something is to wait 15 min ... and it might have fixed itself!

Seriously tho, internet traffic and bottlenecks and a myraid of other things can have a large effect on certain web's performance .... a lot depends on the various "hops" from client to server. For one person, it could be fast while at the same time slow for someone else. It's not necessarilly the web server or it's software itself that is causing the slowdown. Having said that, I realize you'd installed a new feature and then removed it which can require some "re-vamping" to get back to where you started.

Heck, even our own Intranet slows down from time to time, depending on internal network traffic.

Although I have not been paying super close attention, it seems to me that I have been having real slow saves on the majority of new responses for quite some time (weeks?), but most everything else clicks along pretty normal.

I'll edit this response in a minute with the time it takes to save it now . . .

Goose

This one only took 3 or 4 seconds.

I've disabled several features for now. I'll let it go for a day or so and see if it seems to have helped. If so, then I'll start adding them back one or two at a time and try to figure out if one of them was the culprit.

Another possibility is all our signatures. There is a possibility that all the links to the weather banners and etc. could be causing a problem. A lot of us use them but they are served from a third party site so if THEY have problems then it would l likely slow us down also. Same goes for anything in the signatures that are linked to a third party site.

Not saying they are the problem, just something else I'll look at if what I have already done doesn't improve things.

I just did a few posts in the testing forum (so not to overly clutter this thread more),a nd all responded in about 3 seconds. So at the moment things look good again. I'll keep an eye on it and periodically test in that other thread and update you this afternoon.

Goose

You know guys, last night I went to several other sites, including one for the federal govt and they were really slow. On the fed site I couldnt even log in as my log-in kept timing out. I think its just a systematic problem with the web in general. Sometimes I fly through here and sometimes its slow as a 1st gen. But I find some of the same issues with other sites.

You know guys, last night I went to several other sites, including one for the federal govt and they were really slow. On the fed site I couldnt even log in as my log-in kept timing out. I think its just a systematic problem with the web in general. Sometimes I fly through here and sometimes its slow as a 1st gen. But I find some of the same issues with other sites.

If it slows down more we could have a Great 2nd Gen site!!!:whistling:

Yeah its cold out there and I got nothing to do. Started "Ugly" and listened to her for a while.

Well, it seems better than it has been in the mornings but a little sluggish compared to where it was during the day yesterday though. But other sites seem a bit slow this morning also so it could be my connection.

heck...it only took about 5 seconds for this one to post so maybe it's not too bad.

This site seems generally a little slow in all aspects this morning - searching for new posts, just displaying the last post in a thread, etc. All of these actions are taking 4-10 seconds. But this is very different than the recent problems where most things were normal speed but saving new posts took ages. Saving new posts this morning is taking about the same time as everything else.

I did check a range of other sites, and all others are performing very well for me, so the apparent minor slowness here is not related to my connection or ISP.

Goose

Edit: problem may be getting worse as we type - this message took about 35 seconds to save!

I too have been having quite a few problems lately. It seems that about half of the time I try to navigate anywhere on the site, I 'time out'. Posting takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes IF it does not time out first.

I have tested this from multiple computers at my home [slow connection] as well as from my office [where we have a 1 Gb/s connection to the web (NOT just our network). My Physics department is an integral part of the efforts at CERN so our connection is about as fast as they come...

Guest tx2sturgis

Is it possible that with all the weather and ice-related power outages and the rolling power outages around the country that some hosting and routing servers, including DNS servers, are sometimes down? This could cause slowdowns in internet traffic as it gets re-routed to reliable data 'lanes'...

I'd give it a few days to see if its weather-related.

Just a thought.