IGNORED

Info on break in period

I have bought a 2007 Royal Star Tour Deluxe which I haven't picked up yet. In the meantime I have been reading the manual and come across engine break-in period. I have never owned anything new with 0 miles. The manual says avoid prolonged operation over 1/3 throttle in the first 600 miles then avoid prolonged operation over 1/2 throttle to 1000 miles. Basically I understand this to baby the thing for this time. This may be a stupid question but my concern is what is determined to be "prolonged operation"? I have an hour ride with this coming home mostly highway speed. Is an hour considered "prolonged operation"? I ask this cause as the manual states "there is never a more important period in the life of your engine than the period between 0 and 1000 miles". Is there anything else I should watch out for. Thank you in advance for any replies.

An hour would be considered a prolonged period but you will not be in excess of 1/3 throttle to run normal highway speeds. Taking it to the race track and pushing every bit you can get out of it is not a good idea but babying it is not a good idea ether. Constant speed is not the best way to seat the rings and when you say break in the engine seating the rings is what you are doing. The best way to seat the rings is to load it then unload it. Ride it like you will normally ride it and forget you ever heard the words break in and you and the bike will both be happy.

Congratulations on the new scoot.

An hour would be considered a prolonged period but you will not be in excess of 1/3 throttle to run normal highway speeds. Taking it to the race track and pushing every bit you can get out of it is not a good idea but babying it is not a good idea ether. Constant speed is not the best way to seat the rings and when you say break in the engine seating the rings is what you are doing. The best way to seat the rings is to load it then unload it. Ride it like you will normally ride it and forget you ever heard the words break in and you and the bike will both be happy.

My Dad told me that when I got married!!

My Dad told me that when I got married!!

What? congratulations on the new scoot.:confused24:

Thank you guys very informative. I learned a thing or two. Thank you very much. As for the "new" comment since it has 0 miles I wouldn't call it used.

Well, welcome to our "family" .... you will enjoy your NEW ride. We have only one rule here and that is.....

PICTURES!!

Make sure the rear gear oil is changed at 600 miles and again at 1500 miles. There are frequently metal shavings in the rear gear case that need flushing out on a new bike.

Change the oil filter with every oil change.

Don't use friction reducing oils or additives in the engine.

Don't lug the engine at low rpms when new. If you're used to a Vtwin, this V4 needs to run at 3000 rpm and up. there's no tach so I'd say use these shift points

20mph -> 2nd gear

35mph -> 3rd gear

50mph -> 4th gear

65mph -> 5th gear

make sure all the bolts, nuts, and such are tightened well. The hex holding on the shifter is prone to working loose.

Bring it to Maintenance Day in Oberlin Ohio at the end of May...

Have an icecream...

:Cartoon_397:

You might want to read Break In Secrets.

I have used the Break In Secrets on my last two bikes. Have about 30k on both of them now with NO problems. Remember the back-pressure (engine breaking) is as important as the acceleration. I used dino oil both times (what was in the bike). I changed the oil twice, once at 100 miles again at 500ish and then went to synthetic oil which I have been running ever since. My break-ins took two days.

ps. don't tell the dealer you did it this way.

Edited by aharbi
fixed typo

I was just looking around at this dealer shop and lo and behold it was staring right at me amongst his friends. The minute I sat on it I knew it was mine. Can't wait to ride it. I have them storing it for me till winter passes some more. I don't have a garage.

Edited by albyzee