IGNORED

2nd Gear Fix Question

Guest Scottimuss

Guest Scottimuss

First a real thamk you to all the replies to the posts and the general helping attitude here... you guys all rock!!!!!!!

ok now to the point... i am an auto mechanic but bikes are confusing sometimes, with a harley i can almost get to any thing quick but not so on my venture....

we've determined that the engine rattle i have is the 2nd gear, ok now heres the question... id be able to do this with full tools at a little shop with a harley/honda certified mechanic (old lady's padre) with lift..

but he's unsure about this one, never worked on yams before..

i tried to d/l the manual in pdf from here but it wont let me so...

what has to be done to change out 2nd gear?

how long? anything weird to expect? what am i going to break first and how much or wheres a good place to get a new set of gears?

is there a trap door in the bottom?

i dont take things to shops when i own tools!!!!!:cool10:

im up for it but not sure what to expect... the bike is my car so if its a day or 2 job then ill go for it other wise it will have to wait...

Hey Scott...

The quick answer and I'm thinking in the long run the best one is to advise you to buy a repair manual... :whistling::whistling:

I've owned a manual for every bike I had in the last 20 years... There are several manuals out there for under $25 that will tell mechanically inclined folks how to do most things.... Do a Google or Yahoo search for the year model service manual for your bike..

Believe me it's money well spent!!!!! :smile5::smile5::smile5:

Guest Scottimuss

ok i found a section that explains it in the tech library

so anything else i might need to expect when doing this would be appreciated..

First a real thamk you to all the replies to the posts and the general helping attitude here... you guys all rock!!!!!!!

what has to be done to change out 2nd gear?

how long? anything weird to expect? what am i going to break first and how much or wheres a good place to get a new set of gears?

is there a trap door in the bottom?

I dont take things to shops when i own tools!!!!!

im up for it but not sure what to expect... the bike is my car so if its a day or 2 job then ill go for it other wise it will have to wait...

Here is most of the info you will need

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=508

Also check out this thread, download the PDF for off line viewing.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2922

It may be an idea to hookup with the 2nd gear changeout expert AKA Muffinman.

Ok here is a list of parts that you will need for the second gear repair.

Middle gear gasket

Stator cover gasket

Clutch cover gasket

Oil pan gasket

Waterpump gasket

1 tube of Yamabond 4

and the 2 thrust washers.

The job start to finish takes me about 14 hours.

Give me a call if you need to

Jeff

Scott, according to how much the leading edge of your 2nd gear dogs are worn, you may have to bring them back square and it also helps if you do an undercut. This causes the gears to actually pull together in a load situation, rather than push apart and "jump". I did the undercut on mine at about 45K miles and if I had known at the time that the thrust washer had been improved on and was harder and thicker, I would have replaced it rather than just flip it over. I still got 60K miles out of it before I decided to go back into it and replaced the entire gear set with one from an 86. I was getting the noise you described, but the bike still had not "jumped" in 2nd under a heavy load, and that also included pulling a 450 pound camper.

If you are interested in doing the under cut, there are some on here that have done it and have had good success. This whole job is a lot of work as you have to remove the engine and turn it upside down and split the case to the crank centerline. Another thing you will probably need to do is to either replace the forks or straighten them as they are usually bent some. Again, I just straightened mine up and they worked fine.

Another option would be to watch ebay and pick up a gear set, just make sure it is 86 or later.

Just let us know what you want to do and we will walk you thru it.

RandyA

I have mine apart now for second gear issue. I found the shaft is worn in the thrust washer reccess. I just orderd parts $550 cnd. That is both gears, shaft, washers, gskts, and misc. I am a heavy duty mechanic but I did this at home with my "at home tools". About 5 hours to get the engine out and and hour to tear it down. I have great pics of the worn parts. I hope this helps.

Scotty