IGNORED

New Gmax Helmet?

Evan

Yesterday at the International Motorcycle Show here in Toronto, I saw this new model Gmax open face helmet with some new features that appear to be good ones - you can see the helmet at http://www.g-max.com/gmax/replace-gm67s.html.

One of the new features is an optional battery powered led light bar that fits into the back of the helmet and can be turned on or off and can also be synced with the brake lights by way of a small transmitter. A similar light has been available on Gmax snowmobile helmets but from a conversation with guys from the company that makes them, I am told this is the first helmet with these lights for their motorcycle helmets. I am interested in any comments on why this may not be as good a safety option for bikers as it is for the snowmobilers.

In addition, this helmet has several other interesting features including a good quality internal sun visor that the rider can flip up or down, built in pockets for headset speakers and a removable chin bar plus more - and the show price was reduced 20% to $79 here in Canada.

The only new thing seems to be the light bar on the back. I've got a GMax helmet. The headset ear pockets are standard on their helmets, as well as the flip up visor. I always liked them because they keep the prices low by selling direct to the dealers with no middle men.

Margaret

Hey! That looks like what Jeannie might be interested in. She doesn't really like the full face helmet I got her and has been looking at the 3/4 helmets. I think she would like the idea of being able to put the chin piece when in cool or rainy weather. I also like the light on the back of it and the breath deflector. But I have to wonder how well the chin piece would hold up in a crash.

They must be only available in Canada or something. I can't find them on any US websites. All the dealers listed on their site are also in Canada.

Thanks, Bill

I bought a GMax full face at the Dallas IMS show over a year ago with the light bar across the back. Price at the time was the same as the 3/4 you mentioned. Nice helmet. It's my back up for foul weather riding as my usual lid is a HJC SyMax II.

I'll keep my Shark Evoline. convertible from 3/4 to full without even stopping the bike. Yea, the MFGR says not to do that, but once you know how, and practice some on the bike just sitting, you can do it with one hand easily.

No need to "store" anything. With the G-Max, you get caught in a sudden rainstorm, you have to stop, find the chin bar and put it on, then get back on the bike. I just flip the bar over and pull down the visor.!

Best and most versatile helmet I have ever had. Don't ride without it.